Re: John Muir Trail thru-hike trip report & photos (Part 2), July 2008

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2008
      I think this section is one of the most scenic. It is also a fairly
      easy hike with only one big pass. When we did the trail in '82 it
      took us 2 1/2 days so there is plenty of time to stop and visit. We
      went back and did this section only and took 8 days so it was a
      liesurely trip. As for campsites, if you want a slow start with time
      to take in the scenery stop at the upper end of Tuolumne Mdw. It's
      the last campsite before you start up and may or may not be taken. It
      is a half day slow hike. Nest good camping is Rush Creek and there are
      several lakes to wander top. I always enjoyed the camping at Garnet
      Lk., good fishing too. We have camped at Shadow Ck. and walked up to
      Ediza and Iceberg Lks. Best I can offer is to take your time and stop
      where it looks interesting.