Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Fire restrictions and permits required for stoves on the JMT

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 29, 2013
      I uploaded photos, ordering information, specifications, etc., of the solar heating cooking bag I love here:

      The clear bag option for use with only stoves looks identical but is clear on both sides and costs half as much.  Ordering info and specs for those are included but photos are not shown.  One's imagination will suffice.

      What goes with my cooking system is the cozy pouch, the shown 8" spoon, plus an Equinox map bag pouch that with 4 mini-caribeaner clips from Zpacks clips to the top of my pack.

      If one starts their supper at noon by putting about 10 oz of water in a pouch, putting it in a gallon zip bag then the equinox bag (in case any spillage occurs, you get the ziplock wet not the equinox map pouch wet), the sun can heat up the contents to about 120 degrees, and by 4pm the food tastes like warm leftovers.  Since the food is precooked and you're only reconstituting the food, it worked for me just fine in 2012.  I'd be doing the same setup this year if I was not hiking with a lady friend new to long distance hikes (she's done only a 3 day hike so far).
    • Tracy
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 1, 2013
        Just saw the fire restrictions; Gotta admit, I'm a little bummed. I know many frown on campfires, even in appropriate areas, but I love sitting around the fire at night and was hoping for this a few nights. Guess not! Oh well!