DIY 10 GRAM HIKING WATCH FOR $1

  • ptoddf
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
      Been looking for a cheap little LCD watch to read out time of day while hiking without wearing an annoying watch. Couldn't find the little pendant watches that were everywhere last few years. But just found: LCD SLAP WATCH at Dollar Tree for $1. This is a continuous displaying about 3/8" high digit watch. Get this: the module itself, removed from the rubbery bracelet weighs 3 grams! That's the operating module inside a heat sealed clear plastic case. That's UUL, but you have to mount it somehow.

      As it comes, module in bracelet, it's 22 grams. With upper strap cut off completely with scissors, and the bottom strap cut to 1", the weight is 10 grams. With the lower strap at 1", I drilled 3 each 1/8" holes with an electric drill (there's a metal band inside the strap) near it's cut end for hand stitching to my pack waist band strap. The metal band curves at a 90 degree angle so the watch stands out horizontally from the waist band. Just a glance down and I know what time it is, how long I've been hiking, how long to sunset. Very helpful on my upcoming long JMT segment where I have a tight schedule to meet, or to try to meet! Exactly what I wanted. It's a micro version of the little "control panel" I had on my parachute pack harness years ago with stopwatch and altimeter side by side.

      This is a DIY project anyone can do in 15 mins, assuming you're sewing to pack webbing, the best idea IMO. Can't be lost or mislayed in a jumble of small items inside the pack.

      Details for those who care:

      Battery not replaceable, but clearly it is if you cut into the clear plastic around the module. If concerned about longevity which I'm not, carry a spare 3 gram bare module.
      Battery mfg date is on pkg, this one is July 2012. Battery likely good for 3 or even 4 years, my guess.
      Cut the band with cheap paper scissors, not fine cutlery. It's thin metal, maybe stainless steel, and cuts fine, but may damage good scissors.
      No alarm, no stopwatch function. Time and month/year only. I set it for continuous time display.

      I like this thing so much that I'm going to get another one (hopefully they have more green color) and cut the bottom strap off, leave 1/2" on the upper strap, drill one 3/16" hole in it, and hang it from a micro carabiner on my hammock ridge line. It will stay there permanently, allowing me to see what time it is at night, how long to dawn. That's the pendant watch concept. Should be 8 or 9 grams.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
          I don't even plan on taking a wristwatch.  If I need to check the time, I can just check my GPS or cell phone.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
          • ptoddf
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
              Roleigh,

              I posted 4 pics of this watch thing in a photo album on site.
              One shows the cut off pieces of the strap, one shows the watch in place on pack waist band webbing.

              About your question, I suppose it would work work as a key chain clock, but I've seen thinner and flatter ones made for that in previous years that would be better if you can find one.

              What I like about this one is that the stiff watch band works as a little angle bracket to attach the watch at a 90 degree angle to the waist webbing of the pack.