Re: [John Muir Trail] light weight sun shirt

    Message 1 of 48 , Jun 29, 2013
      I like this shirt. SPF rating not shown but REI says its made with a sun-protective fabric. Weight not given. Not cheap. At least you can return it if you don't like it.

      I own one in a size larger than I'd ordinarily wear in order to allow it to ventilate better.

      If you happen to be big enough to use an XXL, there's one on sale right now in a light color (Alpaca) for under $13, though all other colors and sizes are $54.50

      On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Joe MacLeish <jmacleish@...> wrote:

      On hot sunny days I cover up with a light weight long sleeve khaki shirt (8.4 oz).  Is there something that weighs less?  Needs to be cool (temperature) to wear.  I've tried various high SPF sun screens but I eventually get burned anyway.  The shirt works but weighs too much.

      Joe

      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 4, 2013
        Wherever you camp where the ground is too hard for tent stakes, use your tent stakes and rocks, instead of having the stake go through the ground, it is used to turn the tent/tarp guyline into a "T" where the stake is the top of the "T" and the rock is laying down on top of the "T".

        The night I do Whitney, I camp farther up from Guitar Lake and have to use the above technique for my tarp tent (I require 8 tent stakes).  None of them are in the ground, but the tent is 100% secure.  You just need heavy rocks.