Re: [John Muir Trail] light weight sun shirt

  • John
    Message 1 of 48 , Jun 29, 2013
      Joe I have one of these in a men's  http://www.sierratradingpost.com/golite-wisp-wind-shirt-long-sleeve-for-women~p~44489/ . Weighs 3.2 oz. I find it to not breath as well as advertised, so I mainly use it for wind.

      For backpacking, I like a loose fitting shirt that allows for ventilation. My current hiking sun shirt isn't much lighter than yours at 8.2 oz.  but at $25  the price was right. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/white-sierra-kalgoorlie-shirt-upf-30-long-sleeve-for-men~p~3184p/?filterString=s~white-sierra-men%2F&colorFamily=01

      John

      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 4, 2013
        Wherever you camp where the ground is too hard for tent stakes, use your tent stakes and rocks, instead of having the stake go through the ground, it is used to turn the tent/tarp guyline into a "T" where the stake is the top of the "T" and the rock is laying down on top of the "T".

        The night I do Whitney, I camp farther up from Guitar Lake and have to use the above technique for my tarp tent (I require 8 tent stakes).  None of them are in the ground, but the tent is 100% secure.  You just need heavy rocks.