Re: interesting JMT relevant FAQ Question and answer by a doctor today on expediting blister healing

  • dr.suuz_2013
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
      I am a novice hiker who has already experienced blisters, so all the
      information recently posted is helpful. As a retired veterinarian,
      however, I do know that thread hanging out of a blister is a wick for
      bacteria to get below the skin and increases the risk of infection.
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" wrote:

      > I have to disagree with his opinion as well as some of the others. I
      am like one of the posters that mentioned he leaves the skin intact, but
      drains the fluid with drain holes large enough not to seal shut. I try
      to position the weep holes such that any pressure forces the fluid out
      and away from causing any more damage to surrounding tissue. I haven't
      tried putting thread through it, but I have heard that works well for
      keeping fluid buildup from occurring again. I have no problem with
      keeping it moist and covered if I am at the tail end of a hike, and I am
      stopping long enough to allow proper healing to occur, but the constant
      friction of hiking combined with the dressings has been a disaster for
      me when tried in the past. There is a book titled 'Fixing Your Feet'
      written by a guy who treats the endurance runners doing the Badwater run
      from Death Valley to Whitney Portal, and he has some great advice on
      treating messed up feet!

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin roleigh@ wrote:
      > >
      > > HOW DO BLISTERS HEAL FASTEST?
      > > *
      > > *

      http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/201?utm_source=newsletter01\
      &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter03

      > > An interesting JMT relevant FAQ Question and answer by a doctor
      today on
      > > expediting blister healing.

      > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
      > > links)
      > > _

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
        I was quoting from one of the responders to his article:

        "When you get a blister, but can't stop, never remove the outer the skin. Instead, use a clean needle and thread, dipped in alcohol, and slip the thread through the blister. You should end up with thread sticking out both sides. Then cut off the needle leaving the thread. The thread keeps the small holes open allowing the water to drain and the skin stays intact. This keeps the wound clean. This method is best for anyone that needs to keep walking with a blister. If you are at home, just try to stay off of it and leave it alone."

        I haven't personally tried the thread method, but do use the small incision method with great success over the years. Whenever possible, I air out my feet and let them dry out at night as well. I have a different hiking style than some when doing the JMT and treat it more like an endurance event including my approach to blisters, which haven't been a huge problem after doing many of the pre-emptive strategies advised in How To Treat Your Feet. When you need to keep on hiking, your approach to blister treatment has to do double duty, healing AND functional, ie; minimal friction and further fluid build up. I highly recommend getting a pedicure to remove calluses, keep our toe nails trimmed and filed, ( I've had my little toenails removed after losing them during trail runs too many times ), and Ininji socks, pre taping hot spots, and letting your feet air out at every prolonged stop during the day.