Re: interesting JMT relevant FAQ Question and answer by a doctor today on expediting blister healing

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2013
      Yup, I think the OP doc there may be influenced by medical research that has certainly shown that's it's best to keep wounds covered to promote healing. But I think it's a mistake to assume that this research is applicable to a foot blister that's not going to be rested to heal, but will be under continued stress.

      > I have to disagree with his opinion as well as some of the others. I am like one of the posters that mentioned he leaves the skin intact, but drains the fluid with drain holes large enough not to seal shut. I try to position the weep holes such that any pressure forces the fluid out and away from causing any more damage to surrounding tissue. I haven't tried putting thread through it, but I have heard that works well for keeping fluid buildup from occurring again. I have no problem with keeping it moist and covered if I am at the tail end of a hike, and I am stopping long enough to allow proper healing to occur, but the constant friction of hiking combined with the dressings has been a disaster for me when tried in the past. There is a book titled 'Fixing Your Feet' written by a guy who treats the endurance runners doing the Badwater run from Death Valley to Whitney Portal, and he has some great advice on treating messed up feet!
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > HOW DO BLISTERS HEAL FASTEST?
      > > *
      > > *
      > > http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/201?utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter03
      > >
      > > An interesting JMT relevant FAQ Question and answer by a doctor today on
      > > expediting blister healing.

      > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
      > > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
      > > _

    • dr.suuz_2013
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
        I am a novice hiker who has already experienced blisters, so all the
        information recently posted is helpful. As a retired veterinarian,
        however, I do know that thread hanging out of a blister is a wick for
        bacteria to get below the skin and increases the risk of infection.
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" wrote:

        > I have to disagree with his opinion as well as some of the others. I
        am like one of the posters that mentioned he leaves the skin intact, but
        drains the fluid with drain holes large enough not to seal shut. I try
        to position the weep holes such that any pressure forces the fluid out
        and away from causing any more damage to surrounding tissue. I haven't
        tried putting thread through it, but I have heard that works well for
        keeping fluid buildup from occurring again. I have no problem with
        keeping it moist and covered if I am at the tail end of a hike, and I am
        stopping long enough to allow proper healing to occur, but the constant
        friction of hiking combined with the dressings has been a disaster for
        me when tried in the past. There is a book titled 'Fixing Your Feet'
        written by a guy who treats the endurance runners doing the Badwater run
        from Death Valley to Whitney Portal, and he has some great advice on
        treating messed up feet!

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin roleigh@ wrote:
        > >
        > > HOW DO BLISTERS HEAL FASTEST?
        > > *
        > > *

        http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/201?utm_source=newsletter01\
        &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter03

        > > An interesting JMT relevant FAQ Question and answer by a doctor
        today on
        > > expediting blister healing.

        > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
        > > links)
        > > _

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2013
          I was quoting from one of the responders to his article:

          "When you get a blister, but can't stop, never remove the outer the skin. Instead, use a clean needle and thread, dipped in alcohol, and slip the thread through the blister. You should end up with thread sticking out both sides. Then cut off the needle leaving the thread. The thread keeps the small holes open allowing the water to drain and the skin stays intact. This keeps the wound clean. This method is best for anyone that needs to keep walking with a blister. If you are at home, just try to stay off of it and leave it alone."

          I haven't personally tried the thread method, but do use the small incision method with great success over the years. Whenever possible, I air out my feet and let them dry out at night as well. I have a different hiking style than some when doing the JMT and treat it more like an endurance event including my approach to blisters, which haven't been a huge problem after doing many of the pre-emptive strategies advised in How To Treat Your Feet. When you need to keep on hiking, your approach to blister treatment has to do double duty, healing AND functional, ie; minimal friction and further fluid build up. I highly recommend getting a pedicure to remove calluses, keep our toe nails trimmed and filed, ( I've had my little toenails removed after losing them during trail runs too many times ), and Ininji socks, pre taping hot spots, and letting your feet air out at every prolonged stop during the day.