Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Tent Stakes

    Message 1 of 48 , Jun 28, 2013

      On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Robert <bob@...> wrote:
      For my trip to the High Sierra this year I bought a set of four Big Agnes Blowdown Tent Anchors, which you can fill with rocks, sand, or snow, or wrap around a tree.

      REI sells snow/sand anchors for tents that are similar. I take them occasionally, usually not.

      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 4, 2013
        Wherever you camp where the ground is too hard for tent stakes, use your tent stakes and rocks, instead of having the stake go through the ground, it is used to turn the tent/tarp guyline into a "T" where the stake is the top of the "T" and the rock is laying down on top of the "T".

        The night I do Whitney, I camp farther up from Guitar Lake and have to use the above technique for my tarp tent (I require 8 tent stakes).  None of them are in the ground, but the tent is 100% secure.  You just need heavy rocks.