Re: [John Muir Trail] Ways to die on the trail -- makes me ask, anyone ever get hurt by any of these?

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5wryDdEI0

      Clever girl.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Lindhardt <joelindhardt@...> wrote:

      > That Cassowary looks like a modern day dinosaur... probably is.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • cjoslyn99
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013

        My car did last year.  Whitney Portal parking lot.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
          Wow, did you figure out what caused it?  Was it a bear, a storm (wind or rain or thunder), or vandals or what?
          _
        • Jim W
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
            That was a really stupid article.

            Top points for graphic fearmongering about nonexistent hazards though.

            Jim

            On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

            My car did last year.  Whitney Portal parking lot.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin wrote:

            > http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/The-10-Worst-Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild.html
            >
            > Ways to die on the trail -- makes me ask, anyone ever get hurt by any of
            > these? In particular, the pinecones. The Sequoia Pinecones are the size
            > of a chicken egg, but the Cedar ones are the big ones. Ever hear of
            > anyone getting hurt by them?
            >
            > http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild-Pinecones.html

            > links)
            > _

          • cjoslyn99
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
              Squirrel knocked an unopened pine cone onto my windshield. Someone left
              a note. Apparently, it has happened before.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin wrote:

              > Wow, did you figure out what caused it? Was it a bear, a storm (wind
              or
              > rain or thunder), or vandals or what?
              > links)
              > _

            • Terry
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2 8:16 PM
                There's also a good reason you'll never see a campground in a red fir forest. Those whole trees are widow makers. Either a large limb or the whole tree can fall on you at anytime. You'll know when you are in a red fir forest by all the large limbs all over the ground. Don't pitch a tent under those.