Ways to die on the trail -- makes me ask, anyone ever get hurt by any of these?

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 27, 2013

      Ways to die on the trail -- makes me ask, anyone ever get hurt by any of these?  In particular, the pinecones.  The Sequoia Pinecones are the size of a chicken egg, but the  Cedar ones are the big ones.  Ever hear of anyone getting hurt by them?

      http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild-Pinecones.html

      _

    • John
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
        Some of the tallest trees with the biggest cones along the JMT are the Yellow or Ponderosa Pine. You'll see these in the lower valleys. Never heard of someone getting hit by one though. A big concern that isn't mentioned is falling branches and /or entire trees. I have known of people being hit and killed by those in the Sierra.

        JD

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
          There's a great, grisly book called Death in Yosemite, listing all the known deaths in the Park.

          Interesting finding (from memory - I don't have it in hand to check)

          Deaths due to deer: 1 (kid gored by one he was trying to feed)

          Deaths due to bears: 0

          On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

          Ways to die on the trail -- makes me ask, anyone ever get hurt by any of these?  In particular, the pinecones.  The Sequoia Pinecones are the size of a chicken egg, but the  Cedar ones are the big ones.  Ever hear of anyone getting hurt by them?

          http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild-Pinecones.html

          _

        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
            I don't see Stupidity on the list.

            On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

            Ways to die on the trail -- makes me ask, anyone ever get hurt by any of these?  In particular, the pinecones.  The Sequoia Pinecones are the size of a chicken egg, but the  Cedar ones are the big ones.  Ever hear of anyone getting hurt by them?

            http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild-Pinecones.html

            _

          • Ray Rippel
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
              My pine cone experience on the John Muir Trail is related here: http://jmtbook.com/john-muir-trail-the-great-squirrel-incident/.

              Fortunately, I survived!

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM, John <johndittli@...> wrote:
                ... falling branches

                There's a good reason that a large hanging branch is called a widowmaker. Worth looking up into the trees overhead before setting up your tent, esp. on a windy night.

              • Joseph Lindhardt
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                  That's hilarious!  Ray, as a former grunt, surely you must have recognized that squirrel was field artillery using the bracket method in preparation for firing for effect. :)

                  Joe
                  Ways to die on the trail -- makes me ask, anyone ever get hurt by any of these?  In particular, the pinecones.  The Sequoia Pinecones are the size of a chicken egg, but the  Cedar ones are the big ones.  Ever hear of anyone getting hurt by them?

                  http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild-Pinecones.html

                  -------------------------------------------------Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)_
                • Ray Rippel
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                    True, Joe! Fortunately he never quite got it right.

                  • Jeff Yeider
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                      Sorry all but this is off subject..
                      Thank you Ray Ripple........
                      We downloaded your book last night and it's a true joy and fun to read. Light hearted good info.
                      Sincerely, Jeffery T Yeider

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <animalfarm99@...> wrote:

                        > I don't see Stupidity on the list.
                        >
                        > On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
                        > > http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/The-10-Worst-Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild.html

                        Well, stupidity isn't going to be the proximate cause, although it will almost always be a "but-for" cause-in-fact.

                        Frankly, I'm getting really tired of this kind of "if it bleeds, it leads" story, and the whole "Bear" Grylls phenomena. Honestly, if someone runs into one of these problems, either they've been so stupid they completely deserve their personal Darwin Award (as Kim noted), or they've been so phenomenally, staggerlingly unlucky that their heirs should get a great movie deal. (Has anyone actually ever been killed by a beaver???) I figure someone like Aron Ralston deserves his kudos because he had the gruesome fortitude to do what it took to compensate for his near-fatal stupidity.

                        In the past few years, though, I've skipped half of the stuff in my Backpacker Magazine subscription because they keep returning to the theme of "How to Survive X!" and "Most Dangerous Trails!" I don't mind the fact that this might help keep dumb people off the trail, but it also gives others the wrong impression who might otherwise be welcome participants.

                        Just another way that "infotainment" works against actual knowledge and understanding.

                        Okay, rant over.
                        --
                        Richard
                      • ravi_jmt2013
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                          I'd say that black bear encounters are preferable to a run in with a deadly Cassowary ...

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XttrZAXzcg

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sanfran_rwood" <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <animalfarm99@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I don't see Stupidity on the list.
                          > >
                          > > On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
                          > > > http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/The-10-Worst-Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild.html
                          >
                          > Well, stupidity isn't going to be the proximate cause, although it will almost always be a "but-for" cause-in-fact.
                          >

                          > Frankly, I'm getting really tired of this kind of "if it bleeds, it leads" story, and the whole "Bear" Grylls phenomena. Honestly, if someone runs into one of these problems, either they've been so stupid they completely deserve their personal Darwin Award (as Kim noted), or they've been so phenomenally, staggerlingly unlucky that their heirs should get a great movie deal. (Has anyone actually ever been killed by a beaver???) I figure someone like Aron Ralston deserves his kudos because he had the gruesome fortitude to do what it took to compensate for his near-fatal stupidity.
                          >
                          > In the past few years, though, I've skipped half of the stuff in my Backpacker Magazine subscription because they keep returning to the theme of "How to Survive X!" and "Most Dangerous Trails!" I don't mind the fact that this might help keep dumb people off the trail, but it also gives others the wrong impression who might otherwise be welcome participants.
                          >
                          > Just another way that "infotainment" works against actual knowledge and understanding.
                          >
                          > Okay, rant over.
                          > --
                          > Richard

                        • Ray Rippel
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                            Thanks, Jeff for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed it!

                            On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Jeff Yeider <jyeider@...> wrote:

                            Sorry all but this is off subject..
                            Thank you Ray Rippel........

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                              That Cassowary looks like a modern day dinosaur... probably is.

                              --- In mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com, "sanfran_rwood" <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

                              > --- In mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <animalfarm99@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I don't see Stupidity on the list.
                              > >
                              > > On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
                              > > > http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/The-10-Worst-Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild.html
                              >
                              > Well, stupidity isn't going to be the proximate cause, although it will almost always be a "but-for" cause-in-fact.
                              >

                              > Frankly, I'm getting really tired of this kind of "if it bleeds, it leads" story, and the whole "Bear" Grylls phenomena. Honestly, if someone runs into one of these problems, either they've been so stupid they completely deserve their personal Darwin Award (as Kim noted), or they've been so phenomenally, staggerlingly unlucky that their heirs should get a great movie deal. (Has anyone actually ever been killed by a beaver???) I figure someone like Aron Ralston deserves his kudos because he had the gruesome fortitude to do what it took to compensate for his near-fatal stupidity.
                              >
                              > In the past few years, though, I've skipped half of the stuff in my Backpacker Magazine subscription because they keep returning to the theme of "How to Survive X!" and "Most Dangerous Trails!" I don't mind the fact that this might help keep dumb people off the trail, but it also gives others the wrong impression who might otherwise be welcome participants.
                              >
                              > Just another way that "infotainment" works against actual knowledge and understanding.
                              >
                              > Okay, rant over.
                              > --
                              > Richard

                            • straw_marmot
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5wryDdEI0

                                Clever girl.

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Lindhardt <joelindhardt@...> wrote:

                                > That Cassowary looks like a modern day dinosaur... probably is.
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • cjoslyn99
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013

                                  My car did last year.  Whitney Portal parking lot.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                                    Wow, did you figure out what caused it?  Was it a bear, a storm (wind or rain or thunder), or vandals or what?
                                    _
                                  • Jim W
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                                      That was a really stupid article.

                                      Top points for graphic fearmongering about nonexistent hazards though.

                                      Jim

                                      On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

                                      My car did last year.  Whitney Portal parking lot.

                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin wrote:

                                      > http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/The-10-Worst-Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild.html
                                      >
                                      > Ways to die on the trail -- makes me ask, anyone ever get hurt by any of
                                      > these? In particular, the pinecones. The Sequoia Pinecones are the size
                                      > of a chicken egg, but the Cedar ones are the big ones. Ever hear of
                                      > anyone getting hurt by them?
                                      >
                                      > http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Ways-to-Die-in-the-Wild-Pinecones.html

                                      > links)
                                      > _

                                    • cjoslyn99
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 28, 2013
                                        Squirrel knocked an unopened pine cone onto my windshield. Someone left
                                        a note. Apparently, it has happened before.

                                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin wrote:

                                        > Wow, did you figure out what caused it? Was it a bear, a storm (wind
                                        or
                                        > rain or thunder), or vandals or what?
                                        > links)
                                        > _

                                      • Terry
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 2, 2013
                                          There's also a good reason you'll never see a campground in a red fir forest. Those whole trees are widow makers. Either a large limb or the whole tree can fall on you at anytime. You'll know when you are in a red fir forest by all the large limbs all over the ground. Don't pitch a tent under those.