Re: [John Muir Trail] How often do people see Rattlesnake on JMT?

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2008
      Can you describe "that same area" so we can identify it on the JMT Harrison
      maps? Thanks!

      On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Robert W. Freed
      <robert@...>wrote:

      > I have seen a rattlesnake twice in that same area over the years. That
      > is asuming the photos were in order.
      >
      > Robert
      >
      > --- On Mon, 12/29/08, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...<roleigh%40pobox.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > I was surprised to see the rattlesnake
      > in your slide show, care to elaborate about that incident?

    • robert shattuck

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 29, 2008
          Roleigh,
          1. Adding music to pictures is pretty easy depending on what software program you have. The basic "Movie Maker" program in Windows XP / Vista has this feature, as does any video making software. The music for section 1 is Dante's Prayer by Loreena McKennitt. The music for section 2 is "End Titles" by Rachel Portman (part of the Moulin Rouge movie soundtrack) and "Two Little Feet" by Greg Brown.
          2. The rattlesnake was a lot of fun. The snake shown on the slide show was the second rattler we saw that day. The first one was in a bush right next to the trail having a one on one conversation with a squirrel. The squire got away! This occurred around 6 miles from the Happy Isles trailhead. The rattler shown in the slide show made its way through our day #1 camp as we were starting to eat dinner. I was sitting on a log eating when the snake slithered by about 8 - 10 feet in front of me. Needless to say it got my attention! We took some pictures of it and then let it go on its way. The second snake occurred about 6.2 - 6.5 miles from the Happy Isles trailhead near the trail intersection of the JMT and Clouds Rest.
          3. Reds Meadow was a destination we didn't stay at. One of my hiking companions lives in Mammoth, so when we reached the trail junction to go to Devils Postpile or stay on the JMT we picked the JMT. We saw the Postpile from a distance and eventually ended up at Reds Meadow. From there we caught the Yarts to Mammoth Ski Resort where my buddy's wife came and picked us up. We spent the evening at his house getting cleaned up. The next day we caught Yarts back to Reds Meadow and continued back on the JMT. The slides showing the burn out area is immediately South of Reds Meadow - as I'm sure you know. P.S. about that section of trail from the Devils Postpile and staying on the JMT. It was hot, dirty, dusty, full of horse & mule crap. If you don't want to be a purest then dropping into the Postpile will be a good idea. Slide show #3 barely shows any pictures of the Reds Meadow approach.
          I hope you enjoyed the pictures and good luck in 2009. Sounds like you wont having any problems.
          Thanks, David
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2008
            David, thanks. So you're saying that you pass the Red Meadows area in slide
            show 3, correct? Do you know about what percent thru that slide show?
            Roughly speaking? Thanks!

          • David
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 29, 2008
              About 1:15 into the #3 slide show we are getting close to Reds
              Meadow. As soon as you see the pictures od dead trees then you know
              we are heading out of Reds Meadow. I really didn't take too many
              pictures of Reds Meadow because we didn't stay there, plus we were
              really tired of hiking that dirty stretch!

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              came and picked
              > > us up. We spent the evening at his house getting cleaned up.
              The next day
              > > we caught Yarts back to Reds Meadow and continued back on the
              JMT. The
              > > slides showing the burn out area is immediately South of Reds
              Meadow - as
              > > I'm sure you know. P.S. about that section of trail from the
              Devils
              > > Postpile and staying on the JMT. It was hot, dirty, dusty, full
              of horse &
              > > mule crap. If you don't want to be a purest then dropping into
              the Postpile
              > > will be a good idea. Slide show #3 barely shows any pictures of
              the Reds
              > > Meadow approach.
              > > I hope you enjoyed the pictures and good luck in 2009. Sounds

            • Derek Peters
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 30, 2008
                I think we may have seen the same guy!
                I saw this fellow in the Paradise Valley area of the Rae Lake loop this summer.
                http://picasaweb.google.com/specracer62/RaeLakes2008#5229045997475661666

                Derek

                I entered the JMT via the Rae Lakes loop and I saw several rattle snakes. In fact, every time I have been on the Rae Lakes loop I have seen at least two. Mostly they were near the Paradise Valley area. On the JMT itself, I didn't see any.