Re: Headlamp usage?

  • krishna9012
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 27, 2013
      I always carry two, one headlamp and one small bike light since the day I was really embracingly got lost at Little Yosemite. I took my headlamp and went to the rest room in the middle of the night and could not find my tent in that huge tent city! It took me 30 mins before I could find my tent! So from then on, I keep the flashing bike light hanging outside the top of tent and take the headlamp for the midnight business. This made it easy to find the tent back whether in little Yosemite or amidst Guitar lake boulders.

      I also carry one spare set of batteries for each as I usually start around 1 am on the last leg at Guitar lake and need headlamp till trail crest.

      Krishna

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 27, 2013
        Krishna, you hike to trailcrest pass with a light?  Do you skip Whitney or what?  I hike with a light to about 1 mile above (going towards whitney) the whitney summit junction, but then it's light enough to  walk with daylight from then on.  I too get up around 1 am that last day.  I love getting the photography on Whitney as Dawn hits.

        _

        On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM, krishna9012 <krishna9012@...> wrote:

        I always carry two, one headlamp and one small bike light since the day I was really embracingly got lost at Little Yosemite. I took my headlamp and went to the rest room in the middle of the night and could not find my tent in that huge tent city! It took me 30 mins before I could find my tent! So from then on, I keep the flashing bike light hanging outside the top of tent and take the headlamp for the midnight business. This made it easy to find the tent back whether in little Yosemite or amidst Guitar lake boulders.

        I also carry one spare set of batteries for each as I usually start around 1 am on the last leg at Guitar lake and need headlamp till trail crest.

        Krishna

        > Ps, Muir Trail Ranch sells a very inexpensive, similarly small nice
        > flashlight with a baseball hat clip (made of plastic, not metal, not as
        > bright, but good enough). The year I lost my flashlight, I bought the one
        > at MTR.
        > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
        > _

        > On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
        >
        > > At 14.8 grams for the entire headlamp, I definitely carry a spare
        > > headlamp. I lost my primary once (left it on a desk at Reds Meadow once),
        > > and ever since I've brought a backup -- so when I do to Whitney Summit
        > > Junction at night, my backup is loaded with a fresh battery and immediately
        > > ready for backup use, I wouldn't even bother replacing the battery in the
        > > primary.

        > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
        > > _

      • staehpj1
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 27, 2013
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "john_friend" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > How much does one use the headlamps?

          I have been resisting replying because I know that I am a little weird on this topic, but...

          I think the range of possible answers to your question are is wide that any one persons answer to that question is pretty irrelevant to someone else's needs.

          I for one might use my light for as little as one minute of burn time on a two week trip. It isn't a sure thing that I will use it every day even for a few seconds and it is VERY rare that I would ever have it on for a full minute.

          I have often considered not taking a light at all, but have settled on wearing a 0.2 ounce eGear Pico zipper pull light on a chain around my neck. I tend to use it for 5 seconds or so at a time and not all that frequently. It is nice to be able to look in my cook pot to check on my food or to check the color of a trail blaze. I have months of use on my Pico and it still has the original battery. Much of that usage was on long bicycle tours, but still... I am pretty sure I have not used half of the 15 hour battery life.
        • Robert
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 27, 2013
            I think this question you asked can be turned around to say: Roleigh, you are leaving at 1:00AM and your NOT using your headlamp at Trail Crest? It only takes an 2 - 3 hrs to get there from Guitar Lake in normal snow free conditions. Maybe Krishna has a bit faster pace on uphill. If I left Guitar Lake at 1:00AM I'd probably need my headlamp on for that long as well.

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 27, 2013
              Sure, but I was curious if he bypassed doing the summit, or what.  I know a trailrunner could definitely even do the summit and get back to Trailcrest Pass before light though.  I didn't know Krishna was a trail runner though.
              _

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 27, 2013
                I guess I am just assuming he meant Trail Junction instead of Trail Crest. Maybe some clarification would help.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 27, 2013
                  Well, remember I am an "Amble-On"!!! Only once I made it to Whitney to see the sun rise. Usually midway between trail crest and Whitney, its light enough to switch off the head lamp. In my 5 Whitney summits only once reached summit before the sun rise. I am an old slow hiker with 10 -12 mile per day normal hike distances. Usually the last day 14 miles is a stretch and with immodium and cold coffee, I do avoid carrying a full wag bag down to WP :) To minimize my last day's hiking, I camp at the last possible tarn above the Cello lake (it looks more like a cello than guitar from trail crest :) .

                  Krishna

                  > Krishna, you hike to trailcrest pass with a light? Do you skip Whitney or
                  > what? I hike with a light to about 1 mile above (going towards whitney)
                  > the whitney summit junction, but then it's light enough to walk with
                  > daylight from then on. I too get up around 1 am that last day. I love
                  > getting the photography on Whitney as Dawn hits.

                  > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                  > _
                  >

                  > On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM, krishna9012 <krishna9012@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > I always carry two, one headlamp and one small bike light since the day I
                  > > was really embracingly got lost at Little Yosemite. I took my headlamp and
                  > > went to the rest room in the middle of the night and could not find my tent
                  > > in that huge tent city! It took me 30 mins before I could find my tent! So
                  > > from then on, I keep the flashing bike light hanging outside the top of
                  > > tent and take the headlamp for the midnight business. This made it easy to
                  > > find the tent back whether in little Yosemite or amidst Guitar lake
                  > > boulders.
                  > >
                  > > I also carry one spare set of batteries for each as I usually start around
                  > > 1 am on the last leg at Guitar lake and need headlamp till trail crest.
                  > >
                  > > Krishna
                  > >
                  > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Ps, Muir Trail Ranch sells a very inexpensive, similarly small nice
                  > > > flashlight with a baseball hat clip (made of plastic, not metal, not as
                  > > > bright, but good enough). The year I lost my flashlight, I bought the one
                  > > > at MTR.
                  > > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
                  > > > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                  > > > _

                  > > once),
                  > > immediately
                  > > the

                  > > https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>

                • krishna9012
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 27, 2013
                    Oops, sorry for the mix-up, I did mean Trail junction not the trail crest on the way down.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@...> wrote:

                    > Well, remember I am an "Amble-On"!!! Only once I made it to Whitney to see the sun rise. Usually midway between trail crest and Whitney, its light enough to switch off the head lamp. In my 5 Whitney summits only once reached summit before the sun rise. I am an old slow hiker with 10 -12 mile per day normal hike distances. Usually the last day 14 miles is a stretch and with immodium and cold coffee, I do avoid carrying a full wag bag down to WP :) To minimize my last day's hiking, I camp at the last possible tarn above the Cello lake (it looks more like a cello than guitar from trail crest :) .
                    >
                    > Krishna
                    >
                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Krishna, you hike to trailcrest pass with a light? Do you skip Whitney or
                    > > what? I hike with a light to about 1 mile above (going towards whitney)
                    > > the whitney summit junction, but then it's light enough to walk with
                    > > daylight from then on. I too get up around 1 am that last day. I love
                    > > getting the photography on Whitney as Dawn hits.

                    > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
                    > > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                    > > _
                    > >

                    > > On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM, krishna9012 <krishna9012@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > **
                    > > >

                    > > > I always carry two, one headlamp and one small bike light since the day I
                    > > > was really embracingly got lost at Little Yosemite. I took my headlamp and
                    > > > went to the rest room in the middle of the night and could not find my tent
                    > > > in that huge tent city! It took me 30 mins before I could find my tent! So
                    > > > from then on, I keep the flashing bike light hanging outside the top of
                    > > > tent and take the headlamp for the midnight business. This made it easy to
                    > > > find the tent back whether in little Yosemite or amidst Guitar lake
                    > > > boulders.
                    > > >
                    > > > I also carry one spare set of batteries for each as I usually start around
                    > > > 1 am on the last leg at Guitar lake and need headlamp till trail crest.
                    > > >
                    > > > Krishna

                    > > > once),
                    > > > immediately
                    > > > the

                    > > > https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>

                  • Robert
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 27, 2013
                      Mystery solved : ) ! I don't generally distinguish the two as separate in my mind either!

                    • scriv.ener
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 28, 2013
                        Somewhere near the first switchback on Junction Trail, in amongst the boulders, is a small clearing (maybe two) suitable for a hiker or two. Achieve that the night before (assuming no lightning at night!) and you truly have an early start for the summit! It also puts you about 14 miles (including summit) from WP.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 28, 2013
                          In 2012 I saw that camp site for the first time in my 6 Whitney ascents.  I thought to myself, would it no be a bummer to get all the way up there to find the spot taken with no room left?

                          Funny, that I never noticed it the other 5 years.  I wonder how many people do not notice it.  It appears to be above one's eye sight as one walks by it though (is that the case?)

                          I saw it looking back down from the junction.

                          _