Resupply containers

  • Emily Feldman
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 26, 2013
      Does anybody know if a resupply location (specifically Muir Trail Ranch) will accept containers other than the 5 gal buckets? My friends and I's 1 week resupplies for 3 people don't fit in one bucket, we got a TOUGH sterilite ultra bin instead that we half filled (not a see-through or flimsy rubbermade, it does not bend/give if you sit on it etcetera) we figured even with teh extra weight fees for every lb over 25 lbs it will be less than paying $55 for a whole nother bucket that is only half-full. I know they will not take cardboard boxes but that is for obvious reason. They aren't responding to my emails since their first vague response which was 'use a bucket for these reasons' I'm concerned if they'll refuse to accept this and we'll have to resend it rush priority and waste time/money.

      It looks like this: http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sterilite-25-gal-ultra-tote/0000000088494?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah&gclid=CPzNluHkgrgCFep7QgodrCoAPg

      Thanks!
    • Larry Beck
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 26, 2013
        Emily,
        You should just go with the 2 buckets and use the extra space to add some special treat. I had the same problem in 2011. We had 3 hikers and we couldn't fit into two buckets. We went with 3 and we filled the extra space with a 12 pack of Newcastle Brown Ale (in bottles). I have to say, it was worth it.

        From MTR's website, I think they like the buckets because their uniformity and because of the handles. They're easier to handle and store.

        Larry

[...]

      • Ray Rippel
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 26, 2013
          Good day, Emily,

          Actually, they will take cardboard, although you would be crazy to do it that way. From the website: "If you must use a cardboard box, make sure you put your address label on ONE SIDE ONLY. Multiple address labels will cause the Postal Service to return your box to you, not send it to the ranch."

          Your sterilite ultra bin will keep the mice out. The question then becomes, will they be able to transport something that heavy and shaped like a regular box (instead of a bucket). I would guess, "yes," but I would also suggest that there are better ways to save a few dollars. You might want to send two buckets.

          Last, my blog post this week is about packing your resupply buckets. You might want to check it out: http://jmtbook.com/resupply-packages-for-the-john-muir-trail/

          Good hiking, Ray

          On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Emily Feldman <emiwenis@...> wrote:

[...]

        • john_friend
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
            You can read for yourself here what they say: http://muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html.

            If was thinking about sending anything other than a bucket, I'd contact them via email and confirm it was OK because if they won't take it, it's kind of a disaster and not worth the risk to try to save $55 if you haven't confirmed that they will accept your other option.

            The above website lists an email address that I've corresponded with successfully to obtain their suggested mailing labels that you can contact.

            For the record, we're sending two buckets (they go out in a couple days) as I'm interested in following the rules exactly and minimizing the chance of any foul-ups.

            --John

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Emily Feldman" <emiwenis@...> wrote:

            > Does anybody know if a resupply location (specifically Muir Trail Ranch) will accept containers other than the 5 gal buckets? My friends and I's 1 week resupplies for 3 people don't fit in one bucket, we got a TOUGH sterilite ultra bin instead that we half filled (not a see-through or flimsy rubbermade, it does not bend/give if you sit on it etcetera) we figured even with teh extra weight fees for every lb over 25 lbs it will be less than paying $55 for a whole nother bucket that is only half-full. I know they will not take cardboard boxes but that is for obvious reason. They aren't responding to my emails since their first vague response which was 'use a bucket for these reasons' I'm concerned if they'll refuse to accept this and we'll have to resend it rush priority and waste time/money.
            >
            > It looks like this: http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sterilite-25-gal-ultra-tote/0000000088494?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah&gclid=CPzNluHkgrgCFep7QgodrCoAPg
            >
            > Thanks!

          • Jo T
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
              John,
              Can you share with the group how much postage each bucket costs you to mail?
              I've budgeted for the resupply fees for my trip in September, but I'd like to get an estimate of how much the postage will cost.

              Any info appreciated.
              JoT

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                Just sent 2, 25 lbs buckets to VVR from San Jose for $33 US postage

                Ted

                TB

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                  Contact muirtrailranch@... -- by the way Home Depot (at least some of them) sell 7 gallon buckets.  There is a surcharge for going over a certain weight.

                  http://muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

                  "Put your stuff in a sturdy plastic bucket with a tight-fitting lid (5-gallon is most popular, other sizes OK). "

                  "It should weigh at most 25 pounds (12 kg). For additional weight, we charge $2.00 per pound ($4.40 per kg), which you can pay for at the ranch."

                  Be sure you follow the instructions there and get your mailing label kit (it comes in a PDF form customized to your arrangement with MTR).  Link is there.

                  Roleigh
                  _

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                    I just mailed my bucket today, 5 gal bucket, 13 lbs 7.4 oz supplies; priority mail as they highly recommend; cost to get there from East Coast is $46.80 US Postal Service.
                    _

                  • cjoslyn99
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                      It varies by package dimensions, weight, where you are mailing it from
                      and type of service (e.g., priority vs. standard ground).

                      If you're sending by USPS, go to their website and you can figure it out
                      based on the above criteria.

                      FWIW, when I sent from San Jose last year it only cost me $15 to ship an
                      18 lb bucket using priority mail.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jo T wrote:

                      > John,
                      > Can you share with the group how much postage each bucket costs you to
                      mail?
                      > I've budgeted for the resupply fees for my trip in September, but I'd
                      like to get an estimate of how much the postage will cost.

                      > Any info appreciated.
                      > JoT
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • emily feldman
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                        By the way the Muir Trail Ranch got back to me, they've had problems with the satellite internet at the ranch.  They said no bins, only buckets cuz they fit on the mules. Each bucket I've sent already priority mail was 20-25$ shipping for priority (best price with tracking for time, parcel mail is same price but slower!) from inside California. Shipping from out of state will probably make a difference.
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                          Go for a 7 gallon paint bucket if you need the extra space.
                          _

                          On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM, emily feldman <emiwenis@...> wrote:

                          By the way the Muir Trail Ranch got back to me, they've had problems with the satellite internet at the ranch.  They said no bins, only buckets cuz they fit on the mules. Each bucket I've sent already priority mail was 20-25$ shipping for priority (best price with tracking for time, parcel mail is same price but slower!) from inside California. Shipping from out of state will probably make a difference.

                        • km_9830
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                            At that price to mail by USPS, I think I am just going to drop it at Florence Lake on my drive on the way up to Yosemite.

                            > I just mailed my bucket today, 5 gal bucket, 13 lbs 7.4 oz supplies;
                            > priority mail as they highly recommend; cost to get there from East Coast
                            > is $46.80 US Postal Service.
                            > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                            > _

                          • joelindhardt
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                              Forgive me for asking a naïve question, but why not buy your food along the way? Are the stores along the route that lame?

                              I see people spending a lot of money to send drops or hire mule trains to resupply. This makes sense to me if you already have a permit, are a part of a group, want/need specific food products, want the peace of mind/security, don't want to leave the trail, etc.

                              In my case, however, I plan to hike solo. Furthermore, I do not have a permit reserved, so I will have to wait in line to try and get one @ Yosemite. This creates a lot of uncertainty as to if/when I will actually get on the trail and, therefore, when I will be at certain resupply points along the trail. Logistically, it seems easier to purchase my food and supplies at stores along the way (Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, and VVR) as needed. I'm not a picky eater, so I'll take what I can get, even if the items are ridiculously overpriced.

                              The biggest challenge I see is the long haul (~100 miles) from VVR to Kearsarge Jct. I will be maxed out weight and volume-wise, so I'll probably only be doing 10-15 miles/day in that stretch. I plan to exit @ Kearsarge Jct to go into Independence not only because I will be out of food by that time, but I'll need a zero day anyways after carrying that much that far. Plus, I'll need a day to recharge my batteries, get some real food, and make my airline reservations back to TX (I'm flying out to Yosemite one-way because I have no idea when my return date will be).

                              So, for those of you that have done the JMT, is my approach doable or naïve?

                              Thanks,
                              Joe

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                                Joe, the stores you can buy food from give you a very limited choice of food.  Canned tuna.  Beef Jerky.  Top Ramen.  Gorp.  Snickers.  Chips.  Bread.  Cereal.  Kool Aid.

                                If you take a full or 1/2 day out at Mammoth Lakes (Reds Meadow), go into town, you could buy expensive camp food at Mammoth Mountaineering or go to a supermarket and have more choices there (such as water-laced foil-pouched tuna/salmon/chicken perhaps if lucky).

                                Personally, I prefer ordering the food ahead of time, knowing the food is going to healthily sustain me and bring enjoyment to my hike.

                                I know that some PCT hikers buy whatever as they do their PCT hike so I'm not saying it can't be done, but your choices are quite limited, especially from the stretch of Reds Meadow to Whitney Portal.
                                _

                                On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM, joelindhardt <joelindhardt@...> wrote:

                                Forgive me for asking a naïve question, but why not buy your food along the way? Are the stores along the route that lame?

                                I see people spending a lot of money to send drops or hire mule trains to resupply. This makes sense to me if you already have a permit, are a part of a group, want/need specific food products, want the peace of mind/security, don't want to leave the trail, etc.

                                In my case, however, I plan to hike solo. Furthermore, I do not have a permit reserved, so I will have to wait in line to try and get one @ Yosemite. This creates a lot of uncertainty as to if/when I will actually get on the trail and, therefore, when I will be at certain resupply points along the trail. Logistically, it seems easier to purchase my food and supplies at stores along the way (Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, and VVR) as needed. I'm not a picky eater, so I'll take what I can get, even if the items are ridiculously overpriced.

                                The biggest challenge I see is the long haul (~100 miles) from VVR to Kearsarge Jct. I will be maxed out weight and volume-wise, so I'll probably only be doing 10-15 miles/day in that stretch. I plan to exit @ Kearsarge Jct to go into Independence not only because I will be out of food by that time, but I'll need a zero day anyways after carrying that much that far. Plus, I'll need a day to recharge my batteries, get some real food, and make my airline reservations back to TX (I'm flying out to Yosemite one-way because I have no idea when my return date will be).

                                So, for those of you that have done the JMT, is my approach doable or naïve?

                                Thanks,
                                Joe

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ted bonetti <tedbonetti@...> wrote:

                                > Just sent 2, 25 lbs buckets to VVR from San Jose for $33 US postage
                                >
                                > Ted
                                >
                                > TB
                                >

                                > From: Jo T <jotslibrarylist@...>

                                > Date: Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:21 AM
                                > To: "johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                                > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply containers
                                >

                                > John,
                                > Can you share with the group how much postage each bucket costs you to mail?
                                > I've budgeted for the resupply fees for my trip in September, but I'd like
                                > to get an estimate of how much the postage will cost.
                                >
                                > Any info appreciated.
                                > JoT

                              • Robert
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                                  It's doable, but a touch risky. I remember one year going into VVR following what was explained to me as an unexpected wave of hikers that had just passed through, and the pickings were very slim! From what I understand, that was an exception, not the norm, but it wasn't much better the second time going there either. Reds is a little better, but as Roleigh said, they have a lot of food that doesn't translate well for carrying well for backpackers. They cater more to car/RV/trailer campers and fishermen. TM has the best selection of them all for backpackers, but pretty early in the trip. MTR is useless for food purchases, ( some first aid supplies ), but usually has a great selection in their overflow buckets. I'm not sure what their policy is on people picking food out of the buckets without actually sending a re-supply there. They take unopened, factory packaged and labeled food to the food bank, but as far as I know they toss the re-packaged stuff, which there is usually a lot of!

> [...]
                                  > > naïve?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks,
                                  > > Joe
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ted bonetti <tedbonetti@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Just sent 2, 25 lbs buckets to VVR from San Jose for $33 US postage
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Ted
                                  > > >
                                  > > > TB
                                  > > >

                                  > > > From: Jo T <jotslibrarylist@>

                                  > > > Date: Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:21 AM
                                  > > > To: "johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                                  > > > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply containers
                                  > > >

                                  > > > John,
                                  > > > Can you share with the group how much postage each bucket costs you to
                                  > > mail?
                                  > > > I've budgeted for the resupply fees for my trip in September, but I'd
                                  > > like
                                  > > > to get an estimate of how much the postage will cost.

                                • Robert
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                                    This is my second reply to this, so if my other one shows up later, my apologies.

                                    Yes, I think you could probably buy food along the way, but it is a bit risky. I will go in order from North to South on your options and my 'take' on them. Tuolumne Meadows, the best one of the bunch for resupply, but too early in the hike. Reds Meadow is hit and miss, and as Roleigh mentioned,does not always carry backpacker suited food supplies. They are geared more towards RV/trailer/car campers and fishermen. VVR for me has been pretty weak as well. One year I went I was told that they just had an unusually large group come through and deplete their stock. The other time was better, but not by much, but at least you can get a good meal or two. They have overflow barrels, but can get pretty picked over and a lot of junk is left behind. MTR is just plain pathetic on their food supplies in their 'store'. They do have some first aid supplies for a healthy price. Their overflow hiker buckets are a wealth of food supplies though, but I don't know what their policy is on picking through them if you haven't sent a bucket there. The pack suppliers that come in over Kearsarge are just too expensive to be practical for most people, so I have always just packed enough to make it from MTR to Whitney Portal.

                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "joelindhardt" <joelindhardt@...> wrote:

                                    > Forgive me for asking a naïve question, but why not buy your food along the way? Are the stores along the route that lame?
                                    >
                                    > I see people spending a lot of money to send drops or hire mule trains to resupply. This makes sense to me if you already have a permit, are a part of a group, want/need specific food products, want the peace of mind/security, don't want to leave the trail, etc.
                                    >
                                    > In my case, however, I plan to hike solo. Furthermore, I do not have a permit reserved, so I will have to wait in line to try and get one @ Yosemite. This creates a lot of uncertainty as to if/when I will actually get on the trail and, therefore, when I will be at certain resupply points along the trail. Logistically, it seems easier to purchase my food and supplies at stores along the way (Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, and VVR) as needed. I'm not a picky eater, so I'll take what I can get, even if the items are ridiculously overpriced.
                                    >
                                    > The biggest challenge I see is the long haul (~100 miles) from VVR to Kearsarge Jct. I will be maxed out weight and volume-wise, so I'll probably only be doing 10-15 miles/day in that stretch. I plan to exit @ Kearsarge Jct to go into Independence not only because I will be out of food by that time, but I'll need a zero day anyways after carrying that much that far. Plus, I'll need a day to recharge my batteries, get some real food, and make my airline reservations back to TX (I'm flying out to Yosemite one-way because I have no idea when my return date will be).
                                    >
                                    > So, for those of you that have done the JMT, is my approach doable or naïve?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Joe
                                    >
                                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ted bonetti <tedbonetti@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Just sent 2, 25 lbs buckets to VVR from San Jose for $33 US postage
                                    > >
                                    > > Ted
                                    > >
                                    > > TB
                                    > >

                                    > > From: Jo T <jotslibrarylist@>
                                    > > Date: Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:21 AM
                                    > > To: "johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                                    > > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply containers
                                    > >

                                    > > John,
                                    > > Can you share with the group how much postage each bucket costs you to mail?
                                    > > I've budgeted for the resupply fees for my trip in September, but I'd like
                                    > > to get an estimate of how much the postage will cost.
                                    > >
                                    > > Any info appreciated.
                                    > > JoT

                                  • Gail
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                                      What about cheese? Can you get that in TM and at Reds?

> [...]
                                      > > na�ve?
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks,
                                      > > Joe
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ted bonetti <tedbonetti@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Just sent 2, 25 lbs buckets to VVR from San Jose for $33 US postage
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Ted
                                      > > >
                                      > > > TB
                                      > > >

                                      > > > From: Jo T <jotslibrarylist@>

                                      > > > Date: Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:21 AM
                                      > > > To: "johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                                      > > > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply containers
                                      > > >

                                      > > > John,
                                      > > > Can you share with the group how much postage each bucket costs you to
                                      > > mail?
                                      > > > I've budgeted for the resupply fees for my trip in September, but I'd
                                      > > like
                                      > > > to get an estimate of how much the postage will cost.

                                    • john_friend
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 27, 2013
                                        I'm sending two buckets from SF Bay Area to MTR next week so I'll post what that costs when I do it (probably costs more from further away). My estimate from my location was around $45 for the shipping plus the MTR resupply fees.

                                        --John

                                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jo T <jotslibrarylist@...> wrote:

                                        > John,
                                        > Can you share with the group how much postage each bucket costs you to mail?
                                        > I've budgeted for the resupply fees for my trip in September, but I'd like to get an estimate of how much the postage will cost.
                                        >
                                        > Any info appreciated.
                                        > JoT

                                      • ravi_jmt2013
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 28, 2013
                                          Priority mail to MTR was something like $57 for a 25 pound bucket when I checked a few months ago. This is from the east coast so I guess the postage varies based on distance unlike the flat rate boxes. So with the $55 paid to MTR that resupply will cost $112 total plus cost of food!

                                          I'm hoping to read reports on how the Red's Meadow store is stocked so I will be comfortable resupplying from the store and avoiding the $35 fee. If they have instant oatmeal, Mac & Cheese, Ramen, Knorr sides, peanut butter, tortillas, etc, that should be ok for the few days needed to get to MTR I think...

                                          Tuolumne is a certain resupply spot since the only cost is $16 for a flat rate large box. Money well spent to avoid dragging more weight than needed for the first segment!

                                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "km_9830" <khai@...> wrote:

                                          > At that price to mail by USPS, I think I am just going to drop it at Florence Lake on my drive on the way up to Yosemite.
                                          >

                                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I just mailed my bucket today, 5 gal bucket, 13 lbs 7.4 oz supplies;
                                          > > priority mail as they highly recommend; cost to get there from East Coast
                                          > > is $46.80 US Postal Service.
                                          > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
                                          > > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                                          > > _

                                        • Jo T
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 28, 2013
                                            Thanks, John and thanks to all those who already posted theirs.
                                            I'm in SoCal, and I realize all things are relative. But it's been very helpful to have a price range, since I haven't even figured out the full menu of what's going into my buckets, but I have to put aside the money way before I get that ironed out.

                                            JoT.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 28, 2013
                                              Yes from my vague memory.
                                              _

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 28, 2013
                                                In 2011 we saw PCT hikers who had skipped the Sierra high peaks during June and in July were going southbound to make up the lost territory (due to the high snow levels), and they were hiking pretty much that way from town to town, but they'd take a couple of days off to go 30 miles out of their way to, say Bishop.  They had no schedule to worry about so to speak.

                                                Have you ever exited the JMT from Le Conte Canyon (up and over Bishop Pass) for supplies there -- that is a real tangent there.  We had an injured hiker we bailed out with there, a significant tangent.

                                              • Linda Bakkar
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 28, 2013
                                                  Robert wrote "I'm not sure what their policy is on people picking food out of the buckets without actually sending a re-supply there" regarding MTR.  In 2009, when I was hiking the PCT section through the Sierras, I ran out of food before I got to VVR.  So, I left the trail to MTR and they graciously let me pick through the buckets and get 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners to see me through.

                                                  Lindy
                                                • Wendy Shugar
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 28, 2013
                                                    When I was there last year they told us to go through and take anything we needed or wanted.  The best thing we found Lemon Drops which helped for altitude sickness.  There was everything from wound care items to any type of food you could ever need or want.!!!

                                                    Wendy Shugar
                                                    Articulate Interpreters, Inc.
                                                    6520 Platt Avenue, Suite 218 West Hills, CA 91307
                                                    Telephone: 800/388-3099 818/704-4895 Fax: 818/704-7982
                                                  • Ralph Alcorn
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 28, 2013
                                                      Florence Lake is incredibly out of the way on any drive to Yosemite. 100 difficult miles east of Fresno, it is going to cost you 8 gallons of gas and five or six hours of time. I suggest Priority Mail to MTR.
                                                      --
                                                      Ralph Alcorn
                                                      backpack45.comtimecheck00.blogspot.com

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jun 28, 2013
                                                        On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM, joelindhardt <joelindhardt@...> wrote:

                                                        Forgive me for asking a naïve question, but why not buy your food along the way? Are the stores along the route that lame?

                                                        I remember once assuming that I didn't need to send myself olive oil for a resupply at Independence since I knew there was a store there. The store there had corn oil only.  Ugh. Not good added to much of anything.
                                                      • Carolsteveyoung
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jun 28, 2013
                                                          Im not a medical professional so no expert here, but If lemon drops helped, that probably wasn't altitude sickness. AS is a severe and potentially life threatening condition.

                                                          Glad the lemon drops helped whatever the situation.

                                                          Steve Young
                                                          Geneva IL

                                                          Sent from my iPhone