RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: FW: mileage

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 20, 2008
      The JMT is so well marked, a confident hiker could do it with one of the junk maps you might get in the ranger offices, but the Harrison's are the best and if you can read a map and follow the signs, there's really no need to be bringing a GPS unless you're just a gadget junkie��in that case, bring a SPOT, so you can share your techno wonder with everyone else, by checking in now and then. the worst place for signage and getting slightly lost is heading into Red's meadow, otherwise, you''re on the highway. sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comFrom: barbara@...: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 21:10:35 -0800Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: FW: mileage

      Thanks for the feedback. I have the Harrison maps, they seem great. Forget
      the pedometer - useless. I already have a GPS Garmin Legend so will bring it
      - it has an altimeter, & I use it to mark campsites or put sites in that I
      might use. Turn it on maybe twice a day - maybe I'll rethink that 7ozs - it
      might be better used elsewhere. Will check out the other maps too. Can't
      wait, not going til mid July - pathetic, but I LOVE to plan.Barbara

      _____