Re: Rain and Drying Strategy

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 25, 2013
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "judy" <judypalm@...> wrote:
      > We have found lightning as much of a problem as rain--it once took us 3 days to get over Donahue as the "afternoon" storms came earlier and earlier each day!

      Lightning is my most significant concern. I had a close encounter with lightning many years ago above Tahoe... Not a fun experience. I have read the resources here and elsewhere on lightning safety but the concerns remain. I plan to take no chances and I'm willing to sacrifice planned zero days or be late finishing the hike if needed rather than pushing forward into a storm. But my main strategy is to start early each day and try to finish up by early afternoon. And if any storms appear likely to avoid camping in exposed areas.
    • Robert
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 25, 2013
        +1 to that. I like your open mind on hiking techniques Darryl.