Re: [John Muir Trail] backpack problems with Mountainsmith

  • trail2nowhere
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
      Zactly! My MS pack is a Auspex and only has less then 2,000 miles on it. Barely broken in. Owh well, the ULA is a couple of pounds lighter and I talked to Chris, the owner, when I bought the pack.

      JY

      > This explains several of my questions on gear makers I once found reliable! My old Mountainsmith Auspex pack was a great pack, but I have a friend that has had issues with his belt on a newer model, ( not sure which model off the top of my head ). I also used to really like Mountain Hardwear products, but they don't seem to be quite as focused on lighter, simpler gear now. I have found Montrails shoe quality has gone down a bit since they were bought by Columbia as well.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <ned@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Patrick Smith, the founder of Mountainsmith, was a sponsor of ours for very many years (‘82 to 2003) before he sold his company. Under his QC, Mountainsmith had very well-built products that could take a lot of use.
      > >
      > > Since the sale, the brand name’s quality has taken a beating! In 1973 the North Face, under Jack Gilbert, was a sponsor of ours, too, and had terrific stuff that lasted forever, but when Jack separated from his co-owner (who wanted to go to off-shore production) and started Mountain Hardwear, TNF gear was never the same for the backcountry user. Similarly, while Jack presided over Mountain Hardwear, its quality was #1, but when he sold it to Columbia, we’ve noticed a serious change.
      > >
      > > While all three companies may still have some great designs worthy of backcountry use, we choose durability and predictable performance over inexpensive construction techniques when it comes to safety.
      > >

      > > Ned Tibbits, Director
      > > Mountain Education
      > > www.mountaineducation.org

    • ravi_jmt2013
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
        I don't know anything about Mountainsmith but I can say that my ULA Circuit is extremely comfortable. Much more so than the Catalyst. I've carried the pack with the 23-28 pounds I expect to average on the JMT (except for after MTR) on very long days with no soreness the next day. I may worry too much about many aspects of the trip so it is nice to know that the pack is solid.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
          Hum, well I ordered the catalyst yesterday and it was shipped the same day. I should see how it rides before the w/e.

          The MS is actually only 1.1 # heavier. Very well designed, just poorly made.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
            The Catalyst wasn't uncomfortable but it has a more rigid back panel and I guess I just prefer the lighter Circuit back panel. It is probably just a matter of personal preference. I suspect that the Catalyst would be better than the circuit with over 30 pounds but since I'll only carry that much on two days of the trip I think that the Circuit will be fine. It is rated up to 35 pounds.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
              In an interesting turn of events MS has done the right thing and coped to the workmanship problem and offered me a new pack. I'm trying to decide between the ghost 50 and lariat 65. 50L seems one the small side but REI carries it so I just might take all my stuff down to the REI and see if it will all fit...with a full water bladder. I've read that many don't like the way the ghost panel loads. It is not a top loader so it's harder to stuff. I don't use stuff sacks for a lot of my gear instead just stuff it all. Whatcha think?

              Btw, 35# is about the max for me if I can keep water down to about a liter.

              Thanks,

              Jack