backpack problems with Mountainsmith

  • Jack Young
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
      Despite the noble efforts of a few good folks at Mountainsmith it's 2 weeks before our through hike (second time) and I'm having no end of quality control problems with Mountainsmith.  SOOOO I'm going to take the plunge and finally get a ULA.  Kinda scary changing packs at such a late date.  Mountainsmith workmanship quality has sadly fallen through the floor.

      Off belay,
      Jack Young

      Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map - Aldo Leopold

    • staehpj1
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
        I am curious what problems you are having. I have made a few mountain smith purchases lately and have had no problems.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jack Young <trail2nowhere@...> wrote:

        > Despite the noble efforts of a few good folks at Mountainsmith it's 2 weeks before our through hike (second time) and I'm having no end of quality control problems with Mountainsmith. SOOOO I'm going to take the plunge and finally get a ULA. Kinda scary changing packs at such a late date. Mountainsmith workmanship quality has sadly fallen through the floor.
        >

        > Off belay,
        > Jack Young
        >
        > Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map - Aldo Leopold

      • trail2nowhere
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
          Compression straps on hip belt and shoulder straps starting slipping very badly. I sent it in and they replace everything but the hip belt was WAY toooo big. Then they sent me the right size hip belt and I tried it out and the compression straps are still slipping on the new hip belt. I'm so DONE with Mountainsmith and just bought the ULA that I've wanted for years.

          JY

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "staehpj1" <Pete.Staehling@...> wrote:

          > I am curious what problems you are having. I have made a few mountain smith purchases lately and have had no problems.
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jack Young <trail2nowhere@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Despite the noble efforts of a few good folks at Mountainsmith it's 2 weeks before our through hike (second time) and I'm having no end of quality control problems with Mountainsmith. SOOOO I'm going to take the plunge and finally get a ULA. Kinda scary changing packs at such a late date. Mountainsmith workmanship quality has sadly fallen through the floor.
          > >

          > > Off belay,
          > > Jack Young
          > >
          > > Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map - Aldo Leopold

        • nedtibbits
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
            Patrick Smith, the founder of Mountainsmith, was a sponsor of ours for very many years (‘82 to 2003) before he sold his company. Under his QC, Mountainsmith had very well-built products that could take a lot of use.

            Since the sale, the brand name’s quality has taken a beating! In 1973 the North Face, under Jack Gilbert, was a sponsor of ours, too, and had terrific stuff that lasted forever, but when Jack separated from his co-owner (who wanted to go to off-shore production) and started Mountain Hardwear, TNF gear was never the same for the backcountry user. Similarly, while Jack presided over Mountain Hardwear, its quality was #1, but when he sold it to Columbia, we’ve noticed a serious change.

            While all three companies may still have some great designs worthy of backcountry use, we choose durability and predictable performance over inexpensive construction techniques when it comes to safety.

            Ned Tibbits, Director
            Mountain Education
            www.mountaineducation.org

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
              This explains several of my questions on gear makers I once found reliable! My old Mountainsmith Auspex pack was a great pack, but I have a friend that has had issues with his belt on a newer model, ( not sure which model off the top of my head ). I also used to really like Mountain Hardwear products, but they don't seem to be quite as focused on lighter, simpler gear now. I have found Montrails shoe quality has gone down a bit since they were bought by Columbia as well.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
                Zactly! My MS pack is a Auspex and only has less then 2,000 miles on it. Barely broken in. Owh well, the ULA is a couple of pounds lighter and I talked to Chris, the owner, when I bought the pack.

                JY

                > This explains several of my questions on gear makers I once found reliable! My old Mountainsmith Auspex pack was a great pack, but I have a friend that has had issues with his belt on a newer model, ( not sure which model off the top of my head ). I also used to really like Mountain Hardwear products, but they don't seem to be quite as focused on lighter, simpler gear now. I have found Montrails shoe quality has gone down a bit since they were bought by Columbia as well.
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <ned@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Patrick Smith, the founder of Mountainsmith, was a sponsor of ours for very many years (‘82 to 2003) before he sold his company. Under his QC, Mountainsmith had very well-built products that could take a lot of use.
                > >
                > > Since the sale, the brand name’s quality has taken a beating! In 1973 the North Face, under Jack Gilbert, was a sponsor of ours, too, and had terrific stuff that lasted forever, but when Jack separated from his co-owner (who wanted to go to off-shore production) and started Mountain Hardwear, TNF gear was never the same for the backcountry user. Similarly, while Jack presided over Mountain Hardwear, its quality was #1, but when he sold it to Columbia, we’ve noticed a serious change.
                > >
                > > While all three companies may still have some great designs worthy of backcountry use, we choose durability and predictable performance over inexpensive construction techniques when it comes to safety.
                > >

                > > Ned Tibbits, Director
                > > Mountain Education
                > > www.mountaineducation.org

              • ravi_jmt2013
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
                  I don't know anything about Mountainsmith but I can say that my ULA Circuit is extremely comfortable. Much more so than the Catalyst. I've carried the pack with the 23-28 pounds I expect to average on the JMT (except for after MTR) on very long days with no soreness the next day. I may worry too much about many aspects of the trip so it is nice to know that the pack is solid.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
                    Hum, well I ordered the catalyst yesterday and it was shipped the same day. I should see how it rides before the w/e.

                    The MS is actually only 1.1 # heavier. Very well designed, just poorly made.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
                      The Catalyst wasn't uncomfortable but it has a more rigid back panel and I guess I just prefer the lighter Circuit back panel. It is probably just a matter of personal preference. I suspect that the Catalyst would be better than the circuit with over 30 pounds but since I'll only carry that much on two days of the trip I think that the Circuit will be fine. It is rated up to 35 pounds.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
                        In an interesting turn of events MS has done the right thing and coped to the workmanship problem and offered me a new pack. I'm trying to decide between the ghost 50 and lariat 65. 50L seems one the small side but REI carries it so I just might take all my stuff down to the REI and see if it will all fit...with a full water bladder. I've read that many don't like the way the ghost panel loads. It is not a top loader so it's harder to stuff. I don't use stuff sacks for a lot of my gear instead just stuff it all. Whatcha think?

                        Btw, 35# is about the max for me if I can keep water down to about a liter.

                        Thanks,

                        Jack