Re: [John Muir Trail] High-fat diets on trail

  • Ray Rippel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
      Interesting stuff. I can tell you that I am at the far end (not sure
      which end!) of the bell curve when it comes to consuming calories on
      the trail. Some days it's hard for me to push down 1000 calories. My
      experience has been interesting:

        - When I "bonk", I bonk badly. If I fail to get at least a certain
      amount (not sure what that is, but I think it's about 900-1000) I
      quite simply have to sit down and eat. I do not have the energy to put
      one foot in front of the other.

        - That said, if I do stay above that line, I seem to be able to
      operate quite well. I'm not fast, but then I never am. I do have some
      interesting food related dreams, and I find myself craving the most
      interesting items. (I can clearly remember coming down Forester Pass
      craving a caprese salad.)

      A couple of important points: I'm not suggesting that anyone else take
      this approach and, in fact, I wish I could eat more. It's just the way
      it works out for me. Second, I eat healthy portions at TM, RM and MTR.

      I also usually lose about 13 pounds in the three weeks on the trail.

      Last item: I'm no gourmet, but I do like to cook. I've created some
      great recipes while sitting on a rock listening to my cravings. I jot
      them down in my Rite-in-the-Rain notebook and then thoroughly enjoy
      preparing them later, all the time remembering where I got the idea.

      Good hiking, Ray
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
        On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
        ... Roughly 45% of my calories probably come from fats and oils either in foods (peanut butter) or added (ghee and olive oil). ...

        By way of comparison, the average American [non-backpacking] diet gets 34% of its calories from fats.

        at page 24

      • dosten
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
          I am a paleo eater and am used to getting most calories from fat and protein. My diet for my upcoming has more carbs (mainly from cocoa and other sugars like Justin's maple almond butter) than usual. I will report on how this diet works when I get back.
        • julesnmaya
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 26, 2013
            I did the High Sierra Trip completely paleo without much sugar at all except some dehydrated fruit. I really liked using dried sweet potatoes for carbs and ate this for hydrated for breakfast with coconut oil and nuts and added this into my dinner stews. I also used a fair amount of fat--ghee, coconut oil and butter through the day and nuts--and my energy was great.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, darren@... wrote:

            > I am a paleo eater and am used to getting most calories from fat and protein. My diet for my upcoming has more carbs (mainly from cocoa and other sugars like Justin's maple almond butter) than usual. I will report on how this diet works when I get back.

          • Renee Nell
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 26, 2013
              I'm happy to hear there are other "paleo" type hikers here. I changed my diet drastically in the last year, but haven't done a backpacking trip with these new food choices, so I'm glad to hear that others are successfully hiking with this type of food, which is not as easy to pack.

              I did the High Sierra Trip completely paleo without much sugar at all except some dehydrated fruit. I really liked using dried sweet potatoes for carbs and ate this for hydrated for breakfast with coconut oil and nuts and added this into my dinner stews. I also used a fair amount of fat--ghee, coconut oil and butter through the day and nuts--and my energy was great.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, darren@... wrote:

              > I am a paleo eater and am used to getting most calories from fat and protein. My diet for my upcoming has more carbs (mainly from cocoa and other sugars like Justin's maple almond butter) than usual. I will report on how this diet works when I get back.

            • woodyrtt
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 29, 2013
                "I've created some
                great recipes while sitting on a rock listening to my cravings. I jot
                them down in my Rite-in-the-Rain notebook and then thoroughly enjoy
                preparing them later, all the time remembering where I got the idea." Ray, that's s great idea! Rod

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

                > Interesting stuff. I can tell you that I am at the far end (not sure
                > which end!) of the bell curve when it comes to consuming calories on
                > the trail. Some days it's hard for me to push down 1000 calories. My
                > experience has been interesting:
                >
                > - When I "bonk", I bonk badly. If I fail to get at least a certain
                > amount (not sure what that is, but I think it's about 900-1000) I
                > quite simply have to sit down and eat. I do not have the energy to put
                > one foot in front of the other.
                >
                > - That said, if I do stay above that line, I seem to be able to
                > operate quite well. I'm not fast, but then I never am. I do have some
                > interesting food related dreams, and I find myself craving the most
                > interesting items. (I can clearly remember coming down Forester Pass
                > craving a caprese salad.)
                >
                > A couple of important points: I'm not suggesting that anyone else take
                > this approach and, in fact, I wish I could eat more. It's just the way
                > it works out for me. Second, I eat healthy portions at TM, RM and MTR.
                >
                > I also usually lose about 13 pounds in the three weeks on the trail.
                >
                > Last item: I'm no gourmet, but I do like to cook. I've created some
                > great recipes while sitting on a rock listening to my cravings. I jot
                > them down in my Rite-in-the-Rain notebook and then thoroughly enjoy
                > preparing them later, all the time remembering where I got the idea.
                >
                > Good hiking, Ray

              • trail2nowhere
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30, 2013
                  I've experimented with hiking paleo quite a lot and I've learned that for me I've got to become body fat adapted before I start otherwise I get pretty sick at high altitude. I also dropped the chronic cardio / running approach to fitness and started doing Crossfit 2.5 years ago as a result I have put on a lot more muscle than when I did the Muir Trail in 2009. As a result I am much stronger and have a lot more calorie burning capacity. In daily life I get about 43% of calories from fat and can maintain that on trail. Calories are about 2,800 a day and that weighs about 1.75# a day.

                  We are heading out in a week for a trip that is a JMT/SHR mass-up using other trails and routes that parallel the JMT but have much lower use. Staying out of yosemite valley and away from the Whitney summit zone. In short, TM to Cottonwood Pass.

                  On a side note, the funniest thing I ever saw in a hiker barrel was a Special K diet food bar. Obviously someone had figured it out and dropped the weight of the useless calorie to weight ratio. Although most people lose a lot of weight on the JMT it a really bad idea to peruse the hike as a weight reducing plan.

                  off belay,
                  Jack