Rain and Drying Strategy

  • Darryl
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 23 8:52 PM
      What is the recommended strategy for dealing with rain, hail and storms on the JMT?
      I just got back from the Enchantments (via Aasgard Pass) and in a five day period I experienced light rain, heavy rain, hail, snow and windstorms. The result was tha a lot of my equipment, clothing and backpack got wet. This seemed to increase the load I was carrying by 50%. If also made for treacherous scrambling because the momentum of the pack affected my center of gravity. On the fourth day I laid out all the contents in my backpack on boulders halfway up the mountain which fortunately dried them out, even though the sun was not shining.
      The first part of tmy question is when do I say it is OK to carry on hiking in the rain, when do I stop and put up my tarp, and when do I say that I'm staying put in my tent until the storm is over? The second part of the question is how do I manage to dry things out so I am not carrying the extra weight or discomfort of wet clothing and equipment?
      Many Thanks,
      Darryl
    • Robert
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 25 8:32 PM
        +1 to that. I like your open mind on hiking techniques Darryl.