RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: [pct-l] Unprepared hikers

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2008
      The Japanese are an odd bunch on the JMT��they are either very well-equipped with the latest and lightest, or they are very well-equipped with the oddest, most needless and heaviest of gear��I love the suitcase and wish I'd met him. I usually meet at least one or two ( couples seem to be the smart ones. must be that woman) and they are always fun to talk to and meet up with at the end of the day. My second JMT, I first met one guy, fresh on the trail, just up from Happy Aisles and he had the contents of his pack, spread out on the side of the trail��he had, among other things, three pairs of blue jeans, a large length of clothesline rope and a stack of maybe five computer manuals. He told me he was going to study on the trail. The best thing he had, and I have to admit I got into the habit of meeting him at his nightly campfires and so on, was a carton of Marlboro. I convinced him to mail out the pants and computer manuals at T'me. He also had a giant metal set of "Hello Kitty" silverware (a gift from his students) and other odd, useless items, but I never made it through his pack to help dump these things . . . he'd just pull things out along the trail and I, with one of his smokes in hand, would laugh and amuse myself. We met another Japanese JMTer and he was very squared away, no junk��but he also had a carton of Marlboro. I stuck with them and they made it all the way and that was the first and last time I smoked a cigarette on the summit of Whitney. sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: pct-l@...; johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comFrom: robert@...: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 09:52:56 -0800Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: [pct-l] Unprepared hikers

      In 2007 I ran into a Japanese gentleman who was hiking the JMT southbound
      with a monster convertible suitcase/back pack with roller wheels. He must
      of weighed all of 100 lbs and the pack looked like it weighed about the same as
      he did. We stopped for lunch and he proceeded to take several large Tupperware
      containers out of his pack. His cereal container was the same size as a box of
      cereal. He spoke no English so I had a hard time explaining my ultra-lite
      philosophy. We had a good time trying to communicate though. He could not of
      gotten to where he was without climbing over at least one major pass. So his
      system must have worked for him.
      Robert