Start date & Direction. Rides?

  • k.kopacek
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2013
      Hello, My start date and end date are locked in. (because of the permit) I'm headed south to north starting Aug-31st ending Sep-14th (15 days total)I have yet to lock in how i am getting there and leaving. I live in San Francisco and work the day before my Hike. I'm going solo but wanted to know if someone had an extra seat available in their car? Or wanted to carpool with me and split cost? Or if you have any suggestions on parking and shuttling back? Etc.

      I'm beyond excited and this Hike has completely consumed me. Cant wait to be on the trail.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2013
        I leave SF morning of Aug 28 and will spend 2 nights at elevation before starting to hike (over new Army Pass) morning of Aug 30. Happy to bring you along and drop you at Whitney Portal on the 28th or 29th, but sounds like the dates just barely won't work for you.

        You are hiking about 25% faster than I, so you will probably overtake me somewhere in the Rae Lakes area. Say hello.

        If you own a car, maybe you could do a car swap. Someone drives your car to their starting Southbound TH in Yosemite Valley and you drive their car to your northbound start point. That way you each hike toward your own car.

        On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM, k.kopacek <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hello, My start date and end date are locked in. (because of the permit) I'm headed south to north starting Aug-31st ending Sep-14th (15 days total)I have yet to lock in how i am getting there and leaving. I live in San Francisco and work the day before my Hike. I'm going solo but wanted to know if someone had an extra seat available in their car? Or wanted to carpool with me and split cost? Or if you have any suggestions on parking and shuttling back? Etc.

        I'm beyond excited and this Hike has completely consumed me. Cant wait to be on the trail.

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2013
          "Locked in"

          As far as being "locked in" on your permit dates, you're really only obligated to observe your departure and trailhead ... Your ETA at Whitney is just that---an estimate, but if you figure out it will take you a few more days, you'll be fine.

          If you're locked into your own tight schedule, well--that's another story.

          You've kind of shot yourself in the foot regarding your need to get to Whitney from San Francisco--had you chosen the north to south route, it'd be cake, but getting to Whitney will suck up two days, pretty much on public transit.

          You can do the 7am Amtrak out of SF, then once you get in the valley, catch a three pm YARTS that will get you to mammoth---you could try thumbing in order to get to lone pine, same day, but if you don't you can catch ESTA in the morning to get to LP, then thumb up to the portal and start humpin'

          All of this also depends on which day you leave--ESTA doesn't run on weekends---and as always, do your own follow-up research to make sure of exact times.

          Bob

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 23, 2013, at 10:35 AM, "k.kopacek" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Hello, My start date and end date are locked in. (because of the permit) I'm headed south to north starting Aug-31st ending Sep-14th (15 days total)I have yet to lock in how i am getting there and leaving. I live in San Francisco and work the day before my Hike. I'm going solo but wanted to know if someone had an extra seat available in their car? Or wanted to carpool with me and split cost? Or if you have any suggestions on parking and shuttling back? Etc.

          I'm beyond excited and this Hike has completely consumed me. Cant wait to be on the trail.

        • ravi_jmt2013
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23, 2013
            How about Greyhound from SF to Reno leaving SF at 6:15 arriving Reno at 12:50pm (schedule 8302) and then the Crest Bus leaving Reno Greyhound at 1:30 arriving Lone Pine at 7:40? Could be tight connection in Reno. If flying is an option maybe fly to Reno earlier in the morning and catch the CREST to Lone Pine with a larger schedule margin or safety.