Re: Crossing Streams

  • ptoddf
    Message 1 of 42 , Jun 23, 2013
      Excellent! I use sandals for all backpacking not just streams and these look good enough for that. Still using Chaco Z-1's at 550 gm each in 11W. Heavy but the best I found. Since not trail running or thru hiking they're OK for me. Reliable, sturdy, thick shock absorbent footbed and grippy Vibram sole.

      I take flops for camp wear, just got Walmart camos 117 gm ea size 11/12 $2.29 pair. Might consider the Tevas for next yr! Really nice to have 2 pairs of trail worthy footware along to change between but who can afford the weight? If the Chacos were lighter could pair the Tevas with them or maybe just do it anyway. Like for the 3 wk trip planned for next yr.

      Flops NG for streams of course, wash right off your feet. Still a nice change for short sections and to get water and to stash Bearikade.

      Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Express™, an AT&T LTE smartphone
      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 24, 2013
        I tried the Luna Sandal but have mailed them back, what I did not like about them are 3 things:

        1.  The Leadville model (recommended for sierra-type trails) weighed in either 5.5 or 5.8 oz apiece versus the 4.5 oz Teva Mush Universal.

        2.  The thong design, along with the way the straps wrap around the ankle require the straps to be very tight to avoid having the rear strap fall off the ankle causing too much pressure between the big toe and the 2nd toe.

        3.  No matter how tight I made the straps, still the strap would fall off my foot/ankle at times.  I wore them around the house for about 4 days.  I'd bend down, squat (while packing food) and this would happen.  I'd adjust the straps but nothing bullet proof.

        4.  The straps are not as slip proof as the velcro method used by Teva, it is more like a belt slip approach for straps.  Some slippage can occur.

        If Luna Sandal used the strap arrangement of Teva Mush Universal, I could see staying with the Luna Sandals for the 1 oz extra weight, as the sole is definitely more rugged (Vibram) and I'm sure less slippery when wet (per Robert's concern).

        5.  The Teva Mush Universal sandals are the most comfortable strap sandals I've ever put on my feet.

        _