Re: [John Muir Trail] Crossing Streams

  • Viraj Ward
    Message 1 of 42 , Jun 23, 2013
      Thanks, Roleigh! They have women's too!
      Viraj

      From: Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:34 PM
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Crossing Streams

      I just bought  incredible comfortable, ultra-light Teva sandals today, they very thick soles (1" thick minimum, 1&3/8" thick at the arch) that only weigh 4.5 oz, men's size 9 (USA size), single sandal.

      Inline image 1

      The sandal is called the Teva Mush Universal (different than the old Teva Mush).

      The soles are reinforced strong with traction strips on the bottom with the upper part of the sole being softer.

      Inline image 2
      I had tried the Luna Sandals I wrote about but they are not anywhere as light (5.75 oz apiece for their size 11 (which oddly is only 3/32 of an inch longer in length (measured back-to-back)), but not anywhere as snugly fitting as the Teva's, nor as securely fitted, nor as comfortable.  True, I imagine the Luna Vibram soles will last more miles, but the Teva's I believe will be safer for me to wear than the Luna's due to the Teva's fitting more snuggly and securely.

      My toes are far enough back from the edges of the front of the sandal to protect them, the sole will strike something before the toes will.  (My theory, I'll see how they perform on my JMT).

      Roleigh

      ps, the Sandals only cost $40 versus the $95 for the Luna Sandals too.

      -------------------------------------------------Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)
      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 24, 2013
        I tried the Luna Sandal but have mailed them back, what I did not like about them are 3 things:

        1.  The Leadville model (recommended for sierra-type trails) weighed in either 5.5 or 5.8 oz apiece versus the 4.5 oz Teva Mush Universal.

        2.  The thong design, along with the way the straps wrap around the ankle require the straps to be very tight to avoid having the rear strap fall off the ankle causing too much pressure between the big toe and the 2nd toe.

        3.  No matter how tight I made the straps, still the strap would fall off my foot/ankle at times.  I wore them around the house for about 4 days.  I'd bend down, squat (while packing food) and this would happen.  I'd adjust the straps but nothing bullet proof.

        4.  The straps are not as slip proof as the velcro method used by Teva, it is more like a belt slip approach for straps.  Some slippage can occur.

        If Luna Sandal used the strap arrangement of Teva Mush Universal, I could see staying with the Luna Sandals for the 1 oz extra weight, as the sole is definitely more rugged (Vibram) and I'm sure less slippery when wet (per Robert's concern).

        5.  The Teva Mush Universal sandals are the most comfortable strap sandals I've ever put on my feet.

        _