RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: resupply questions

  • Don Amundson
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 22, 2013
      Try Minimus.com   I've always used the .5 oz packets and just put one in each of my individual plastic dinner bags.  Minimus also carries small  plastic bottles of olive oil.

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: treeve17@...
      Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:31:52 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: resupply questions

      Thanks John and cjoslyn99 (and Wendy for off board reply). I suppose I should have worded my question a little better -- I've had chip bags and sleeves of coffee burst by driving to 9000' or above from the bay, so I was concerned about an oily mess. Also didn't want to end up lugging 3 or 4 of those 4 oz Nalgenes. I'm looking for a couple really small, recyclable bottles of EVOO that I can mail -- just wanted the reassurance that would work. As always, the JMT group comes through with timely, accurate info.

      > I agree with cjoslyn99. You should have no problem either with original
      > packaging or brand-name Nalgenes for Olive Oil. It does want to leak in
      > marginal packaging, but both of those should work.
      >
      > John L
      >
      > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > If it is unopened from the store, I don't see this as an issue -
      > > especially for glass bottles b/c it's the pressure on the walls of the
      > > container that create the mess. I put a 20 oz mountain dew (plastic
      > > bottle) in my bucket and had no problems. Seal it in a ziploc and place
      > > it in your supply bucket upright for extra security.
      > >

      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "treeve17" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Question for those who have experience with resupply drops. I'm
      > > starting off 8/2, and I've opted for 4 resupplies (TM, Reds, MTR, Woods
      > > Creek) to keep max food carried to low weight and volume. So, are there
      > > leakage issues with shipping olive oil? Would like to ship the EVOO in
      > > original store container and transfer to a small nalgene at the resupply
      > > point. I can envision an oily mess if there's leakage -- that could ruin
      > > a resupply pretty quick. I'm thinking of the pressure differential
      > > between sea level and higher elevations. I could also be over thinking
      > > the issue. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

    • Byron Nevins
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
        You must mean minimus.biz not minimus.com

      • ravi_jmt2013
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
          Regarding olive oil leakage, I found that a 8 ounce Nalgene from REI is very solid in terms of preventing leaks. However, the weight of the Nalgene is 1.35 ounces which reduces the calories per ounce from 250 gross to 214 net for 8 ounces of olive oil. Still not bad but for the JMT I am going to use a larger Nalgene. The 16 ounce Nalgene is probably not twice the weight of the 8 ounce so there will be less of a penalty with the added volume.

          To be extra safe I pack the Nalgene wrapped with absorbent paper (paper shop towels available at any auto parts store) and put it into a quart size ziplock.

          This is the 8 ounce I currently use:

          http://www.rei.com/product/402054/nalgene-polyethylene-bottle-8-fl-oz
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
            treeve17:

            Did you see cjoslyn99's suggestion of using a 20oz plastic soda (Mtn Dew) bottle? Seems like the caps on those soda bottles have a better rubber seal than what you see on a plastic water bottle... they're designed to hold pressurized carbonated beverages. Also, I think they're lighter than any bottle you'd purchase, and disposable or recyclable, which is something you wanted. I'm persuaded.

            Chris.