Re: Gear list and questions:

  • Byron Nevins
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 22, 2013
      My buddy who lives in North Carolina organized a 3-day Appalachian Trail backpacking trip with 3 other friends.  All beginners.  He gave them each a copy of his gear list and admonished them in advance:  "If it isn't on this list -- DON'T BRING IT!  The list has been fine-tuned over decades".

      So they are at the first night's camp and he hears an odd metal sound.  He wanders over to the tent of one of these guys, and the guy is pounding in his tent stakes with a full-sized carpenter's hammer.  "I thought you had forgotten to put it on the list" he explained.

      That night one of the guys said "I brought a fifth of Scotch!"  Which actually *is* on the list as an optional item.  Then he pulls out the fifth of scotch.  In its original super-heavy glass bottle.