Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Food reality check

    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 21, 2013
      Dave --

      I suggest you multiply your Base metabolic rate by about 1.75 for typical backpacking in summer or warmer parts of the shoulder season. Maybe 2 for really big miles or cold weather or 1.5 if you have a very light pack and relatively low miles. More for snow camping.

      The multipliers (Harris-Benedict Equation) are pretty well established by research, though the research is not backpacking-specific.

      But if you count calories on a trip and record your weight gain/loss, you can adjust the formula to your particular body. I've learned that way that I lose no more than about 1 lb a week if I carry (and eat) roughly 3000 calories a day (age 67, 6 feet, 175 lbs, 12 miles per day, roughly 50 lb pack leaving resupply places) Judging form the weight loss, I'm probably within 500 calories per day of my burn rate. That's about what the equation would predict for me, but everyone is different. But the formula is a good place to start and then adjust with experience. You probably have to count calories and weight change carefully only once, then you can have a rule of thumb that works for you

      I no longer count calories. I know my foods average about 150 calories per ounce (due to a lot of fats and oils) and I just carry 20 ounces per day to get to 3000.

      On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM, dave.thofern <dthofern@...> wrote:

      I've not had a great deal of experience with calculating caloric needs on an extended backpacking trip but I've looked at a few of the online caloric calculators. Plugging in my own data--66 years old, 180 pounds--the calculators generally return a recommendation of somewhere around 2,000 calories per day to maintain my weight with just ordinary exertion. Wouldn't I need a LOT more calories if I'm hiking 10--20 miles a day with a pack for three weeks? It seems like being short on calories would translate to being short on energy. That doesn't sound like fun.

      Dave

    • casey
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 21, 2013
        That's the best site I've found for the sausage crumbles, it's only a little over a dollar an ounce in the bulk can. On packitgourmet it runs almost $5.00 an ounce in the 2 ounce package. wildernessdining.com is another good site for a wide variety of freeze-dried food, including vegetarian and organic.