Re: Food reality check

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 21, 2013
      Yup, I think you're totally right. I'm about same weight as you, and if I'm hiking 15-20 miles per day I pack 3500 calories, and still always lose weight.

      I agree with what John said above - aiming to use a long hike to lose weight is bad idea. If I'm a bit overweight I try to get in shape beforehand, and pack the weight that I've lost as extra food!

      Being in overall energy deficit under exertion is a major health risk, I think, and worrying about the subtleties of nutritional content and Glycemic Index or whatever are secondary issues. Your body can't heal itself so well when it's eating itself, and there are all kinds of knock-on effects - poor coordination, bad decision-making.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dave.thofern" <dthofern@...> wrote:

      > I've not had a great deal of experience with calculating caloric needs on an extended backpacking trip but I've looked at a few of the online caloric calculators. Plugging in my own data--66 years old, 180 pounds--the calculators generally return a recommendation of somewhere around 2,000 calories per day to maintain my weight with just ordinary exertion. Wouldn't I need a LOT more calories if I'm hiking 10--20 miles a day with a pack for three weeks? It seems like being short on calories would translate to being short on energy. That doesn't sound like fun.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jim White <jimqpublic@> wrote:
      > >
      > > After hiking the JMT in 15 days with a fairly light pack (and some extra around my belly) I decided that I wanted about 2000 calories per day the first week and 2500 the second. This summer we will be doing a family hike over 15 days. I was thinking that with the lower daily mileage that a out 2000-2200 per day would be about right for the adults, a bit less for the 10 and 12 year olds.
      > >
      > > Is it reasonable that I would need 2000 calories when averaging 10 miles vs 2500 when doing 15+?
      > >
      > > Jim

    • casey
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 21, 2013
        That's the best site I've found for the sausage crumbles, it's only a little over a dollar an ounce in the bulk can. On packitgourmet it runs almost $5.00 an ounce in the 2 ounce package. wildernessdining.com is another good site for a wide variety of freeze-dried food, including vegetarian and organic.