Re: Considering the Iva Bell detour

  • sanfran_rwood
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 21, 2013

      Well, yeah. Since you insist, I've uploaded two quick videos of Fish Creek to YouTube. See http://youtu.be/RT7NMfiekrc and http://youtu.be/lsjf-5jLPng
      --
      Richard
    • sanfran_rwood
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 21, 2013
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sanfran_rwood" <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
        > > The photos that I have seen of the routes favor the Fish Creek
        > > route to below Tully Hole. It looks like there are some nice
        > > looking cascades along the way!
        >
        > Well, yeah.  Since you insist, I've uploaded two quick videos
        > of Fish Creek to YouTube.  See http://youtu.be/RT7NMfiekrc
        > and http://youtu.be/lsjf-5jLPng

        I've also uploaded a massive panorama (4863×2570 pixels) of the view from about where Cold Creek tumbles down into the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin, which is the downhill portion of this detour. Cascade Canyon/Fish Creek and the Iva Bell hotsprings are on the other side of the ridge on the left side, heading back east and up. I believe the lat/long is about 37.55254,-119.08931.

        Note: click on "Original" for the very big pano; in most browsers you can right-click to see just the image.
        http://yhoo.it/12ZdZes
        Vista SW from JMT detour
        --
        Richard

      • brucelem12

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 21, 2013
            Nice! Thanks for posting Richard. Looks like some decent swimming holes along there, and I like that! I'm actually going to hike a few non-JMT detours next time I do the trail. I am really looking at Goodale Pass as well as I haven't been over it either. Thanks again for posting. I am getting antsy to get out, one week to my first trip out...yay!

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sanfran_rwood" <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
            > > The photos that I have seen of the routes favor the Fish Creek
            > > route to below Tully Hole. It looks like there are some nice
            > > looking cascades along the way!
            >
            > Well, yeah. Since you insist, I've uploaded two quick videos of Fish Creek to YouTube. See http://youtu.be/RT7NMfiekrc and http://youtu.be/lsjf-5jLPng
            > --
            > Richard

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 22, 2013
              Robert:

              Which of those two maps do you trust more? Seems like a really big discrepancy... 5 miles difference, out of about 20 mile distance.

              Chris.

              > Aw ha! I have done some calculations on the detour options with my Mountain Images, Sierra Nevada hiking software and the Harrison maps, and there is discrepancies between the two.
            • brucelem12
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
                Did anyone hike to Iva Bell Hot Springs last summer or a similarly extreme dry summer? Just wondering how diminished the falls and/or pools are in that case since this year looks likely to be similar or even drier?

                John (Ladd)...I see that you noticed a lesser flow rate in July 2008 when you were there compared to someone's Sept 2009 video you linked.

                I found a few photo journals from last year that show it still very appealing...but they did look to be right about mid Aug when that area was finally getting a lot of rainfall.

                I'm guessing it won't make that much difference down there around such a major drainage...but thought I'd check since I too am considering it for a very dry July/Aug hike this year.
                Bruce

                http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1731667

                http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=693649

                http://coupleohuckleberries.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/the-hike-out/

                --- "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:
                -----------------I'm working on our itinerary - and I'm finding myself seriously considering the detour to Iva Bell Hot Springs. I'm finding myself completely torn between doing a "pure" JMT hike - and soaking my tired muscles into the night under the Sierra stars. --------------
                -------------
                ----------Thanks!
                Erica
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
                  On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 6:08 AM, brucelem12 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  John (Ladd)...I see that you noticed a lesser flow rate in July 2008 when you were there compared to someone's Sept 2009 video you linked.

                  I can't really say this with any certainty. And 2007-08 and 2008-09 were very similar snowpack years, o I don't know that, even if I were right, that adds much information.

                • Robert
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
                    I wish I had an easy answer on that on. They have both seemed more accurate at different times for me over the years. I would say the Harrison Maps look to be more accurate in this case after tracing the routes out on another routing system I use. I know this isn't always the case, but generally the PCT will take the most direct route if there is a fairly equal scenic option, ie; The High Trail from Devils Postpile to Thousand Island Lake vs the JMT route. It would surprise me if they took the JMT route here if it were truly longer, but that is only my opinion. Either way, it looks well worth the detour even if it proves to be a touch longer, if you have done the JMT previously. If not, maybe just bite the bullet and hike he short up hill from Cascade Valley to Purple Lake so you don't miss Purple and Virginia Lakes. I always think the view into Tully Hole is nice as well.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cehauser1@...> wrote:

                    > Robert:
                    >
                    > Which of those two maps do you trust more? Seems like a really big discrepancy... 5 miles difference, out of about 20 mile distance.
                    >
                    > Chris.
                    >
                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Aw ha! I have done some calculations on the detour options with my Mountain Images, Sierra Nevada hiking software and the Harrison maps, and there is discrepancies between the two.

                  • targetdoggmechanic
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
                      I think the Harrison Map pack for the JMT is accurate. I don't have a gps but my pace matches what the map says mileage wise. I made it to the goodale pass/JMT jct above squaw lake in about the same time it took me when I hiked the JMT proper.

                      > I wish I had an easy answer on that on. They have both seemed more accurate at different times for me over the years. I would say the Harrison Maps look to be more accurate in this case after tracing the routes out on another routing system I use. I know this isn't always the case, but generally the PCT will take the most direct route if there is a fairly equal scenic option, ie; The High Trail from Devils Postpile to Thousand Island Lake vs the JMT route. It would surprise me if they took the JMT route here if it were truly longer, but that is only my opinion. Either way, it looks well worth the detour even if it proves to be a touch longer, if you have done the JMT previously. If not, maybe just bite the bullet and hike he short up hill from Cascade Valley to Purple Lake so you don't miss Purple and Virginia Lakes. I always think the view into Tully Hole is nice as well.
                      >
                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cehauser1@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Robert:
                      > >
                      > > Which of those two maps do you trust more? Seems like a really big discrepancy... 5 miles difference, out of about 20 mile distance.
                      > >
                      > > Chris.
                      > >
                      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Aw ha! I have done some calculations on the detour options with my Mountain Images, Sierra Nevada hiking software and the Harrison maps, and there is discrepancies between the two.

                    • Erica
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 24, 2013
                        If anyone does do this route over the summer - I'd definitely love a report on the water levels in that area. Water planning for this Sept is definitely shaping up to be quite interesting...

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 24, 2013

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 24, 2013