Mosquitos or No-See-Ums on the JMT in July

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
      Last year 4 of us hiked for 16 days starting around the 20th of july and
      except for about 2 hours for the whole 16 days, the bugs were not bothersome
      at all. Only twice (those 2 hours) did I put on a head net. Is it only the
      early part of July that things are bad?

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
        ps - I forgot, we hiked from Red Meadws to Whitney Portal.

        On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Roleigh Martin <marti124@...> wrote:

        > Last year 4 of us hiked for 16 days starting around the 20th of july and
        > except for about 2 hours for the whole 16 days, the bugs were not bothersome
        > at all. Only twice (those 2 hours) did I put on a head net. Is it only the
        > early part of July that things are bad?

      • Steve Schauer
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
          Yes, the early part of July can be brutal, AND it was an early melt for snow. The last snow in the Sierras last year was in March, I think. Makes a difference.