Re: [John Muir Trail] Planing for July 2009

  • Ima Person
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 15, 2008
      Phil,  "depend on trout?",  depends on how good of a fisherman you are, lol.  I saw quite a few fish but did not fish this past summer.  I would strongly recommend at a minimum a headnet and possibly a bugshirt, as well as some sort of glove, to keep the mossy's at bay.  And of course, long sleeve shirt and long pants.   I encountered some mighty fierce swarms during my hike the first part of July.  Coming from "lowland" areas, plan for some altitude aclimazation time, perhaps spending that time fishing !

      Al

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 15, 2008
        Phil,

        There are lots of fish all over.  I fished at Rae Lakes, Thousand Island Lakes and Upper Paradise last July on my JMT trip.  Railbow and brook trout are predominant but there are others.  All the fish are not to big about 6 inches in length.  You should have no problem catching 6 or so for a meal.  I did not have any problem eventhough I was beginner fisherman.  The fish are so plentyful I could almost catch them with my hands.  At least that was how I felt when I was there.

        My best catch is at the outlet of Thousand Island Lake outlet right by the bridge in the morning.  Wow they were much bigger than the rest of the trail.

        I also saw fisherman fishing on other inlets into the lakes.  I just carry a small selection of lures and just cast and reel.  I have never tried fly fishing.  I imagine that can be better.

        There is a license requirement to fish in California.  It will only set you back 38 wammies.  I could buy more dinners for 38 wammies, but the enjoyament of reeling in a big one. Priceless.

        I am planning to go northbound next year starting at Whitney Portal sometime between mid to late July.  Perhaps we will meet on the trail.  Happy planning.

        ____________ _________ _________ __

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 20, 2008
            The fishing license for out of state is $38 for 10 days or almost $90
            for a year. There were 4 of us last year and we ate a lot of fish.
            Found I saved fuel by steaming them for a few minutes, then fried them
            till done. The steaming cooks them faster, but they don't taste as
            good. All I fished with was Panther Martin lures. Did best on size 4
            all brass, but caught several on some size 2 with trout colors. I
            didn't reduce my food supply planning on fish, but used the fish as a
            variety and bonus to restore energy. It was a life saver with my
            daughter who got tired of the regular food.

            I have gone 3 times, always in July. Mosquitos are there, but this
            last year I sprayed my clothes with some repellant stuff that made it
            so I had almost no Mosquito problems, just had to add a little deet to
            my exposed areas. I hiked in shorts most of the time and only had a
            few time that they got bad.
            Happy Hiking
            Kevin Aston
            www.kevinaston.com

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "_thorn3" <_thorn3@...> wrote:

            > Hi New member here. My buddy and I are planing to hike the JMT this
            > summer summer after the 4th of July weekend. I am in St.Louis and he is
            > in So Ca. I have done several sections before but that was 25 years ago
            > but never the entire trail. We are doing this trip for our 50 birthday
            > that is coming up next year. We have been testing gear out and getting
            > new updated equipment for the trip. We have talked about doing the
            > trail in 21 to 25 days, as we are in no hurry. Look forward to sending
            > question in, I have read alot of the info you text back. I do have a
            > question about food. I plan on fishing alot. How much can i depend on
            > trout for meals and how much should I reduce the load of food I plan on
            > bringing with me.
            > Thanks Phil

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2008
              Hi Kevin - Do you know if the replant that you spray on your clothes washes
              out if you get the clothes wet? Did you use a spray on r did you wash them
              in some sort of repellant first? Thanks, Barbara

            • dc t
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 21, 2008
                My brother and I along with our daughters walked the southern half of the JMT in July. I will attatch a link that may give you a bit of insight as far as planning and logisitics. It will have phone numbers to arrange for pick up and drop offs as well as a brief description of our training regiment and then a day by day account of our travels. Maybe you can glean some helpful information from it. Good luck!   myspace.com/raelakeswhitneyportal

                The fishing license for out of state is $38 for 10 days or almost $90
                for a year. There were 4 of us last year and we ate a lot of fish.
                Found I saved fuel by steaming them for a few minutes, then fried them
                till done. The steaming cooks them faster, but they don't taste as
                good. All I fished with was Panther Martin lures. Did best on size 4
                all brass, but caught several on some size 2 with trout colors. I
                didn't reduce my food supply planning on fish, but used the fish as a
                variety and bonus to restore energy. It was a life saver with my
                daughter who got tired of the regular food.

                I have gone 3 times, always in July. Mosquitos are there, but this
                last year I sprayed my clothes with some repellant stuff that made it
                so I had almost no Mosquito problems, just had to add a little deet to
                my exposed areas. I hiked in shorts most of the time and only had a
                few time that they got bad.
                Happy Hiking
                Kevin Aston
                www.kevinaston. com

                --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "_thorn3" <_thorn3@... > wrote:

                > Hi New member here. My buddy and I are planing to hike the JMT this
                > summer summer after the 4th of July weekend. I am in St.Louis and he is
                > in So Ca. I have done several sections before but that was 25 years ago
                > but never the entire trail. We are doing this trip for our 50 birthday
                > that is coming up next year. We have been testing gear out and getting
                > new updated equipment for the trip. We have talked about doing the
                > trail in 21 to 25 days, as we are in no hurry. Look forward to sending
                > question in, I have read alot of the info you text back. I do have a
                > question about food. I plan on fishing alot. How much can i depend on
                > trout for meals and how much should I reduce the load of food I plan on
                > bringing with me.
                > Thanks Phil

              • Kevin Aston
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 24, 2008
                  It is supposed to last for 5 washes. I used the spray. It seemed to
                  work well and didn't appear to stop working during the days I was
                  there, or after a wash.
                  Kevin Aston
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"