[John Muir Trail] Re: First come first server permit logistics

  • sanfran_rwood
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013

      > I found it:
      >
      > http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/upload/compendium.pdf
      >
      > Backpacker camps are intended for use by visitors in
      > possession of an overnight Wilderness Permit or for visitors
      > arriving in the park by foot, bicycle, or bus.
      > • Users arriving in the park by foot, bicycle, or bus may
      > stay in each backpacker camp for a limit of one night.
      >
      > Page 19, 2013 Compendium.

      Sweet! As I understand that, a person could show up on a bus, etc., then stay in the Yosemite Valley backpackers that night; get in line for first-come permits early the next morning; if that fails, take the bus up to Tuolumne Meadows and try again the next day.

      The other two backpackers campsites (excellent one at Hetch Hetchy, but no transit options; somewhat lame one at White Wolf) aren't well-situated to get a permit station early the next morning, so if the TM attempt fails, it's time to try for Camp 4.

      But honestly, if you're somewhat flexible w/r/t your starting trailhead and/or are there mid-week and/or are a small party, you should be able to pick up something within those tries.

      An extreme option to consider: split up a party and arrange to meet up on the trail. In many years of heading up to Yosemite on the spur of the moment (one of the blessings of living in the area), I've never yet not been able to get a decent trailhead on request as a solo. Maybe not my first choice, but there's always something.

      And to adjust an old saying, if you've got enough time, then all trails lead through Tuolumne Meadows.
      --
      Richard