Re: Yosemite Valley to White Wolf hike advice

  • cjoslyn99
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2013
      I assume you will be heading up Yoesmite Falls trailhead? That initial
      stretch to where the trail branches off to upper Yosemite Falls is about
      a 2,500 ft ascent over 2.5 miles. I would not call that section "little
      used" as there are plenty of dayhikers going up to the falls.

      There is no water in that section and I would recommend hitting it early
      in the morning so you don't bake in the exposed granite sections, but do
      allow some time for a side trip to enjoy the falls.

      From there heading north it's just under 8 miles before you cross Tigoa
      Road (under 2000 ft add'l gain) and you'll mostly be following creeks,
      so water shouldn't be an issue. From there another 3 or so miles to
      White Wolf w/ little/no gain.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "monkeysocks70" wrote:

      > Hikers!
      >
      > Arriving at Yosemite from the JMT NOBO this year. Plan on hiking the
      Grand Canyon back to Tuolomne from White Wolf.
      > Looking for advice/experiences on the trails from the Valley up to
      White Wolf; e.g., mileage, grade, water availability, overall
      impressions.
      > I get the idea it is a real leg burner! Can anybody help out on what
      seems like a little used set of trails?

      > Scott

    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2013
        If you plan on the Yosemite creek trail, understand that Yosemite Creek dries up, probably pretty early this year. The Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne is a well used trail. I'm not sure what else you would like to know? Stunning walk. Can be very hot. Lot's of rattlesnakes.

        JD