Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: First come first server permit logistics

Expand Messages
  • Tracy
    I m also getting a walk-up permit in July, but from Toulumne. Camp 4 in the valley is first-come, first-serve for camping, get there early to get a spot. Other
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
      I'm also getting a walk-up permit in July, but from Toulumne.

      Camp 4 in the valley is first-come, first-serve for camping, get there early to get a spot. Other than that, you'll have to leave the valley for camping without reservations. You shouldn't have to wait several days to get a permit, though, especially if you're willing to get there super early.
    • Roleigh Martin
      Don t forget in our files library there are three HI TH permit options (HI-Merced Pass Thru, HI-Illuoette-Falls, HI-LYV) to get you onto the JMT. There was a
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
        Don't forget in our files library there are three HI TH permit options (HI-Merced Pass Thru, HI-Illuoette-Falls, HI-LYV) to get you onto the JMT.

        There was a posting in the last year here on this group by someone familiar with Yosemite NPS park rules and it quoted the full regulation book that if you arrive in the valley by YARTS that you're entitled to stay in the backpacker's campground on that basis too.

        You might be able to google "site:nps.gov" yose backpacker campground bus 
        and get a hit.
        -------------------------------------------------
        Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)
        _



        On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Tracy <ttterrall@...> wrote:
         

        I'm also getting a walk-up permit in July, but from Toulumne.

        Camp 4 in the valley is first-come, first-serve for camping, get there early to get a spot. Other than that, you'll have to leave the valley for camping without reservations. You shouldn't have to wait several days to get a permit, though, especially if you're willing to get there super early.


      • Roleigh Martin
        I found it: http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/upload/compendium.pdf Backpacker camps are intended for use by visitors in possession of an overnight Wilderness
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
          I found it:


          Backpacker camps are intended for use by visitors in possession of an overnight
          Wilderness Permit or for visitors arriving in the park by foot, bicycle, or bus. Wilderness
          permit holders may stay in a backpacker camp the night prior to departure and the night
          after returning from each overnight Wilderness trip.
          • Users arriving in the park by foot, bicycle, or bus may stay in each backpacker camp for a
          limit of one night.

          Page 19, 2013 Compendium.
          -------------------------------------------------
          Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)
          _



          On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
          Don't forget in our files library there are three HI TH permit options (HI-Merced Pass Thru, HI-Illuoette-Falls, HI-LYV) to get you onto the JMT.

          There was a posting in the last year here on this group by someone familiar with Yosemite NPS park rules and it quoted the full regulation book that if you arrive in the valley by YARTS that you're entitled to stay in the backpacker's campground on that basis too.

          You might be able to google "site:nps.gov" yose backpacker campground bus 
          and get a hit.
          -------------------------------------------------
          Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)
          _



          On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Tracy <ttterrall@...> wrote:
           

          I'm also getting a walk-up permit in July, but from Toulumne.

          Camp 4 in the valley is first-come, first-serve for camping, get there early to get a spot. Other than that, you'll have to leave the valley for camping without reservations. You shouldn't have to wait several days to get a permit, though, especially if you're willing to get there super early.



        • sanfran_rwood
          ... Sweet! As I understand that, a person could show up on a bus, etc., then stay in the Yosemite Valley backpackers that night; get in line for first-come
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
            >
            > I found it:
            >
            > http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/upload/compendium.pdf
            >
            > Backpacker camps are intended for use by visitors in
            > possession of an overnight Wilderness Permit or for visitors
            > arriving in the park by foot, bicycle, or bus.
            > ...
            > • Users arriving in the park by foot, bicycle, or bus may
            > stay in each backpacker camp for a limit of one night.
            >
            > Page 19, 2013 Compendium.

            Sweet! As I understand that, a person could show up on a bus, etc., then stay in the Yosemite Valley backpackers that night; get in line for first-come permits early the next morning; if that fails, take the bus up to Tuolumne Meadows and try again the next day.

            The other two backpackers campsites (excellent one at Hetch Hetchy, but no transit options; somewhat lame one at White Wolf) aren't well-situated to get a permit station early the next morning, so if the TM attempt fails, it's time to try for Camp 4.

            But honestly, if you're somewhat flexible w/r/t your starting trailhead and/or are there mid-week and/or are a small party, you should be able to pick up something within those tries.

            An extreme option to consider: split up a party and arrange to meet up on the trail. In many years of heading up to Yosemite on the spur of the moment (one of the blessings of living in the area), I've never yet not been able to get a decent trailhead on request as a solo. Maybe not my first choice, but there's always something.

            And to adjust an old saying, if you've got enough time, then all trails lead through Tuolumne Meadows.
            --
            Richard
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.