Re: Exact Specifics of where Tolumne Meadow Post Office is to JMT Trail (per Lizzy Wenks book)

  • zmortalcityz
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
      I would say "22.9 Tuolumne Meadows backpackers campground"

      As far as I know the backpackers campground is not anywhere near the
      trail though, so I don't know why it would be listed as a mileage.
      The backpackers camp is off behind the car camp, which is off the
      road. A couple hundred feet down the road (towards YV, not Lambert
      Dome) from the camp entrance is the store/P.O. and grill. The whole
      area is a pretty convoluted mess of trails. The official trail
      crosses the road immediately and weaves through the meadows. Most
      people just hike down the road or the trail next to it until they get
      to the store. I think they've rerouted the OFFICIAL trail here or
      done some other kind of nonsense. You'll have to read the new
      Wilderness Press guidebook and really look at some quality maps to
      even get an idea on it, its just all confusing. Sorry I can't be of
      more help, but once you get there it should all be pretty
      straightforward to just walk down the road for a few miles until you
      hit the store and post office. The post office is just a little
      partition within the store that is only accessible through a little
      counter window from the outside. The store was open pretty late,
      maybe 7 or 8pm but I wouldn't count on the Post Office being open past
      5pm. Weekends are questionable. You could always give them a call.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...>
      wrote:

      > Total N-S Mileage Description UTM_NAD83
      > ---------------- ---------------------------------------
      > ----------------------
      > 20.7 Cathedral Lakes Trail Junction 11S 290368E
      > 4194330N
      > 21.6 western merge with alternate route 11S 291408E
      > 4194086N
      > 22.2 Parsons Lodge Junction 11S 291817E
      > 4194970N
      > 22.9 Tuolumne Meadows backpackers campground
      > 22.9 Lembert Dome parking area 11S 293042E
      > 4194785N
      > 24.0 Tuolumne High Sierra Camp junction 11S 294606E
      > 4194623N
      > 24.6 eastern merge with alternate route 11S 294742E
      > 4193824N
      >
      > The above is taken from the Spreadsheet of the JMT GPS
      waypoint/Campsites
      > that Lizzy Wenks provided our group (see file library for our group)
      >
      > Which one of the above is closest to the Toulumne Meadows Post
      Office. What
      > time does the Toulumne Meadows Post Office close during the day. My
      > understanding is to resupply at Toulumne Meadows, you send your
      cache into
      > the Post Office, correct? Does anyone have any extra information or
      > correction to the above?
      >
      > Thanks!

    • Robert W. Freed
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
        Your Name
        c/o General Delivery
        Tuolomne Meadows
        Yosemite National Park, CA 95389

        Business Hours
        Mon-Fri
        9:00-5:00pm
        Sat
        9:00-12:00pm
        Sun
        closed

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
          There's also a free shuttle every 30 mins from where you come out to the
          road - it runs along from Olstead Point to Tuolumne Lodge and back and there
          are stops at the Cathedral Lake trailhead, the Sunrise Trailhead, and the
          east end of Tenaya Lake to the store and campsite area. The burger place
          closes at 5pm, they also do excellent ice cream. And really good cooked
          breakfasts. The store is 7pm or 8pm, I can't recall. There is a small gear
          and climbing store as well, behind the gas station, which is slightly west
          of the store. The store itself sells stuff like socks, hats, first aid
          supplies, deet & sunscreen - they have run out of deet at times due to heavy
          demand. They also have beer, liquor, dehydrated meals, and a few "amateur"
          camping supplies. And fresh food, meat, fruit, milk etc. The gear store
          has some clothing, boots, batteries, poles, etc. There's a big notice board
          for leaving messages outside the store. And the post office is the only one
          in the USA that has a disco ball and a yoda inside!

          The free shuttle also goes from the store to the Tuolumne Lodge where you
          can have a huge cooked meal (expensive). That's where the tent cabins are.
          It's a mile or likely more from the store. Easily walkable, rather heavy
          going sandy rutted path in places, then road. There're showers here but in
          2008 they restricted them to tent cabin guests only. The wilderness permit
          ranger station is half way between the store and the lodge - shuttle bus
          also stops there. There's another ranger station next to the store where
          they give out campsite reservations. The backpackers' site is free however.
          One way to get from the backpackers' site to the JMT is just to head east
          from the site to the river, then take the trail heading upstream (south),
          and you'll hit the JMT once you get to the footbridges over the river. The
          trail that comes in from the footbridges from the east bank is from Tuolumne
          Lodge.

          I camp up there every summer; it's my second home (I wish). Barbara

          _____

          --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          wrote:

          > Total N-S Mileage Description UTM_NAD83
          > ---------------- ---------------------------------------
          > ----------------------
          > 20.7 Cathedral Lakes Trail Junction 11S 290368E
          > 4194330N
          > 21.6 western merge with alternate route 11S 291408E
          > 4194086N
          > 22.2 Parsons Lodge Junction 11S 291817E
          > 4194970N
          > 22.9 Tuolumne Meadows backpackers campground
          > 22.9 Lembert Dome parking area 11S 293042E
          > 4194785N
          > 24.0 Tuolumne High Sierra Camp junction 11S 294606E
          > 4194623N
          > 24.6 eastern merge with alternate route 11S 294742E
          > 4193824N
          >
          > The above is taken from the Spreadsheet of the JMT GPS
          waypoint/Campsites
          > that Lizzy Wenks provided our group (see file library for our group)
          >
          > Which one of the above is closest to the Toulumne Meadows Post
          Office. What
          > time does the Toulumne Meadows Post Office close during the day. My
          > understanding is to resupply at Toulumne Meadows, you send your
          cache into
          > the Post Office, correct? Does anyone have any extra information or
          > correction to the above?
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Kevin Aston
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 20, 2008
            Sounds like you took a left where you should have taken a right.
            A left takes you to the road, where you can catch the shuttle to the
            Post Office if you want. Turning right you follow the trail to the
            right and in a couple of miles it takes you into the car campground.
            You walk along the road until you come to the dumpsters. If you hang a
            right there you go to the hikers camp, about 200 feet, if you hang a
            left there and go about the same distance you come to the store and
            post office. The main trail continues from the North West corner of
            the car campground and follows the river for several miles.
            http://www.kevinaston.com/toDonohue.html .
            Fun hike.
            Kevin Aston

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "zmortalcityz"

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 20, 2008

              I would say "22.9 Tuolumne Meadows backpackers campground"

              As far as I know the backpackers campground is not anywhere near the
              trail though, so I don't know why it would be listed as a mileage.

              What I did with Lizzy's spreadsheet was take the waypoint/junction data and
              merge with the campsite data so that as I walk the trail, I can see by
              looking at one printed-out spreadsheet (landscape mode, legal paper,
              duplex-printing on both sides of paper), what's up ahead. We used it for
              the hike in 2008 from Red Meadows to Whitney Portal and it was a Godsend --
              it allowed us to adjust our plan on the fly letting us know whether to stop
              short or go a bit farther.

              I presumed I could use the unused parts of her spreadsheet rows for the
              portion from Yosemite Valley to Red Meadows, as in 2009 I hope to hike the
              entire JMT, not just the last 165 miles which I did in 2008.

              So doing this merge, I ran the risk of merging tangent gps points, and
              perhaps at Tuolumne Meadows, it is that case. However, we were able to use
              the data just fine from Red Meadows southward all the way to Whitney Portal.

              Roleigh

            • John Karpinski
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 21, 2008
                To add clarity to the description below, Yosemite's official site has a general map of TM.
                http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/tmhikes08.pdf
                What isn't labeled on the map is the backpacker's camping area which is located near the
                Dana Campfire Circle.

                Hope it helps,
                John Karpinski