Re: Food reality check

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 19, 2013
      Protein drink powder is a good idea. I think I'll start doing that too - probably mid-morning for me, throw a scoop into my gatorade bottle after breakfast. I remember many moons ago when I used to go the gym that I tried a whole bunch of whey protein brands and did eventually find one that tastes fine on it's own. (I have no idea which one...)

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "martypicco" <marty@...> wrote:

      > Well I added peanut butter & FD fruit & tortilla plus soy protein drink (awesome stuff... 24g of protein per serving). That brings calories up to ~2200-2500 with ~150g of protein per day.
      >
      > The protein stuff tastes pretty nasty, as I suppose most of the supplement drinks do, but we'll mix it with our hot chocolate. I'm sure tired & hungry makes everything taste better ;-)
      >
      > The bacon bits and parmesan are great ideas, but alas I'm back from the store.
      >
      > Marty
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, straw_marmot <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yup, and while you can get away with insufficient protein for a few days, it's really going to start causing problems with recovery over several weeks. I take the high protein bars that body builders eat; and prepackaged grated Parmesan cheese and bacon bits to add to dinners. A lot more protein in these than in nuts.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Marty, your protein grams seems like they'll run quite short. Doing that
      > > > much exercise I recommend you consider at least some conventional advice.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/protein-guide-maximum-muscle
      > > >
      > > > *"How much protein does the average guy need?*
      > > > Depends on whether you work out or not and how strenuous your workouts
      > > > actually are. Your average desk-bound male requires just 0.36 grams of
      > > > protein per pound of body weight per day.
      > > >
      > > > But exercise can nearly double those requirements. For endurance athletes,
      > > > Peter Lemon, a professor of exercise nutrition at the University of Western
      > > > Ontario, recommends getting between 0.5 and 0.7 grams of protein per pound
      > > > of body weight. "For strength athletes, those numbers are even
      > > > higher--generally between 0.7 and 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body
      > > > weight," he says. If you've been shooting for a gram of protein per pound
      > > > of body weight--or more--you're overdoing it. Your body won't be able to
      > > > process those extra calories, and they'll ultimately end up as just one
      > > > thing: fat."
      > > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
      > > > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
      > > > _

    • casey
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 21, 2013
        That's the best site I've found for the sausage crumbles, it's only a little over a dollar an ounce in the bulk can. On packitgourmet it runs almost $5.00 an ounce in the 2 ounce package. wildernessdining.com is another good site for a wide variety of freeze-dried food, including vegetarian and organic.