Re: Food reality check

  • woodyrtt
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 19, 2013
      Marty,

      Muscle Milk or other high calorie protein powder (with plenty of carbs and fat) is a great idea; we fortify ours with whole milk powder (Nido or Klim). I'd be most concerned about your younger son who does not have fat to lose.

      Rod

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "martypicco" <marty@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the comments so far. I am figuring on each eating a MH for dinner (though it says two servings).
      >
      > I will add some meat: more beef jerky & salami sounds like a good idea.
      >
      > Looking into nuts etc. & whether we could add a supplement (e.g. muscle milk, or some such thing).
      >
      > I figure I can get one more night of shopping/packing and then the buckets have to go!
      >
      > Marty
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Marty
      > > I'm not much of a calorie counter, I just know what works for me so I'm
      > > of little help. But I did notice you are counting a MH dinner as two
      > > servings. I'm no expert on MH, so maybe there are different portions in
      > > different packets. But my partner on my last backcountry ski trip
      > > brought some MH dinners (first I've had in 30 years). They were pretty
      > > good (Lasagna and Stew I think), but we would eat an entire packet each!
      > > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
      > > <http://www.johndittli.com>
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "martypicco" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi folks,
      > > >
      > > > My sons and I are going to start from Tuolumne to Whitney in about a
      > > week. I have not had very much time to prepare, and it's been a real
      > > crunch to get things together in the last few weeks.
      > > >
      > > > I grabbed Roleigh Martin's hike/food plan from the files area (thanks,
      > > Roleigh!), and we plan to do a simliar hike. We're athletic but haven't
      > > trained recently (we haven't even been able to do our gear shakedown
      > > hike until this weekend), so I expect us to be on the slow side at about
      > > 9 miles per day.
      > > >
      > > > We're planning to resupply at RM, MTR, Kearsarge:
      > > >
      > > > TM-RM: 4 days
      > > > RM-MTR: 5 days (side trip to VVR)
      > > > MTR-Kearsarge: 8 days (this is about the max we can get into our bear
      > > vaults)
      > > > Kearsarge-WP: 4 days
      > > >
      > > > Since the resupply buckets have to go out NOW (read: before now) I've
      > > been furiously putting food together. I have stuffed buckets that I'm
      > > planning to mail in the morning.
      > > >
      > > > Here's the boring but hopefully adequate daly food plan:
      > > >
      > > > Breakfast: oatmeal or MH skillet, coffee / hot chocolate
      > > > Snacks: 2 cliff bars per person, 1 beef jerky pack for all three of
      > > us, FD fruit, energy drink
      > > > Dinner: MH dinner (two servings), occasional dessert, hot chocolate /
      > > tea
      > > >
      > > > In addition, I've added TP, skeeter repellent, sunscreen, batteries,
      > > foot care supplies, soap to the MTR buckets.
      > > >
      > > > Sounds reasonable? Any obvious problems?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Marty

    • casey
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 21, 2013
        That's the best site I've found for the sausage crumbles, it's only a little over a dollar an ounce in the bulk can. On packitgourmet it runs almost $5.00 an ounce in the 2 ounce package. wildernessdining.com is another good site for a wide variety of freeze-dried food, including vegetarian and organic.