Re: Food reality check

  • John
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 19, 2013
      Hi Marty

      I'm not much of a calorie counter, I just know what works for me so I'm of little help. But I did notice you are counting a MH dinner as two servings.  I'm no expert on MH, so maybe there are different portions in different packets. But my partner on my last backcountry ski trip brought some MH dinners (first I've had in 30 years). They were pretty good (Lasagna and Stew I think), but we would eat an entire packet each!

      JD

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "martypicco" wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > My sons and I are going to start from Tuolumne to Whitney in about a week. I have not had very much time to prepare, and it's been a real crunch to get things together in the last few weeks.
      >
      > I grabbed Roleigh Martin's hike/food plan from the files area (thanks, Roleigh!), and we plan to do a simliar hike. We're athletic but haven't trained recently (we haven't even been able to do our gear shakedown hike until this weekend), so I expect us to be on the slow side at about 9 miles per day.
      >
      > We're planning to resupply at RM, MTR, Kearsarge:
      >
      > TM-RM: 4 days
      > RM-MTR: 5 days (side trip to VVR)
      > MTR-Kearsarge: 8 days (this is about the max we can get into our bear vaults)
      > Kearsarge-WP: 4 days
      >
      > Since the resupply buckets have to go out NOW (read: before now) I've been furiously putting food together. I have stuffed buckets that I'm planning to mail in the morning.
      >
      > Here's the boring but hopefully adequate daly food plan:
      >
      > Breakfast: oatmeal or MH skillet, coffee / hot chocolate
      > Snacks: 2 cliff bars per person, 1 beef jerky pack for all three of us, FD fruit, energy drink
      > Dinner: MH dinner (two servings), occasional dessert, hot chocolate / tea
      >
      > In addition, I've added TP, skeeter repellent, sunscreen, batteries, foot care supplies, soap to the MTR buckets.
      >
      > Sounds reasonable? Any obvious problems?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Marty

    • casey
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 21, 2013
        That's the best site I've found for the sausage crumbles, it's only a little over a dollar an ounce in the bulk can. On packitgourmet it runs almost $5.00 an ounce in the 2 ounce package. wildernessdining.com is another good site for a wide variety of freeze-dried food, including vegetarian and organic.