Exact Specifics of where Tolumne Meadow Post Office is to JMT Trail (per Lizzy Wenks book)

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
      Total N-S Mileage Description UTM_NAD83
      ---------------- ---------------------------------------
      ----------------------
      20.7 Cathedral Lakes Trail Junction 11S 290368E
      4194330N
      21.6 western merge with alternate route 11S 291408E
      4194086N
      22.2 Parsons Lodge Junction 11S 291817E
      4194970N
      22.9 Tuolumne Meadows backpackers campground
      22.9 Lembert Dome parking area 11S 293042E
      4194785N
      24.0 Tuolumne High Sierra Camp junction 11S 294606E
      4194623N
      24.6 eastern merge with alternate route 11S 294742E
      4193824N

      The above is taken from the Spreadsheet of the JMT GPS waypoint/Campsites
      that Lizzy Wenks provided our group (see file library for our group)

      Which one of the above is closest to the Toulumne Meadows Post Office. What
      time does the Toulumne Meadows Post Office close during the day. My
      understanding is to resupply at Toulumne Meadows, you send your cache into
      the Post Office, correct? Does anyone have any extra information or
      correction to the above?

      Thanks!

    • zmortalcityz
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
        I would say "22.9 Tuolumne Meadows backpackers campground"

        As far as I know the backpackers campground is not anywhere near the
        trail though, so I don't know why it would be listed as a mileage.
        The backpackers camp is off behind the car camp, which is off the
        road. A couple hundred feet down the road (towards YV, not Lambert
        Dome) from the camp entrance is the store/P.O. and grill. The whole
        area is a pretty convoluted mess of trails. The official trail
        crosses the road immediately and weaves through the meadows. Most
        people just hike down the road or the trail next to it until they get
        to the store. I think they've rerouted the OFFICIAL trail here or
        done some other kind of nonsense. You'll have to read the new
        Wilderness Press guidebook and really look at some quality maps to
        even get an idea on it, its just all confusing. Sorry I can't be of
        more help, but once you get there it should all be pretty
        straightforward to just walk down the road for a few miles until you
        hit the store and post office. The post office is just a little
        partition within the store that is only accessible through a little
        counter window from the outside. The store was open pretty late,
        maybe 7 or 8pm but I wouldn't count on the Post Office being open past
        5pm. Weekends are questionable. You could always give them a call.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...>
        wrote:

        > Total N-S Mileage Description UTM_NAD83
        > ---------------- ---------------------------------------
        > ----------------------
        > 20.7 Cathedral Lakes Trail Junction 11S 290368E
        > 4194330N
        > 21.6 western merge with alternate route 11S 291408E
        > 4194086N
        > 22.2 Parsons Lodge Junction 11S 291817E
        > 4194970N
        > 22.9 Tuolumne Meadows backpackers campground
        > 22.9 Lembert Dome parking area 11S 293042E
        > 4194785N
        > 24.0 Tuolumne High Sierra Camp junction 11S 294606E
        > 4194623N
        > 24.6 eastern merge with alternate route 11S 294742E
        > 4193824N
        >
        > The above is taken from the Spreadsheet of the JMT GPS
        waypoint/Campsites
        > that Lizzy Wenks provided our group (see file library for our group)
        >
        > Which one of the above is closest to the Toulumne Meadows Post
        Office. What
        > time does the Toulumne Meadows Post Office close during the day. My
        > understanding is to resupply at Toulumne Meadows, you send your
        cache into
        > the Post Office, correct? Does anyone have any extra information or
        > correction to the above?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Robert W. Freed
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
          Your Name
          c/o General Delivery
          Tuolomne Meadows
          Yosemite National Park, CA 95389

          Business Hours
          Mon-Fri
          9:00-5:00pm
          Sat
          9:00-12:00pm
          Sun
          closed

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
            There's also a free shuttle every 30 mins from where you come out to the
            road - it runs along from Olstead Point to Tuolumne Lodge and back and there
            are stops at the Cathedral Lake trailhead, the Sunrise Trailhead, and the
            east end of Tenaya Lake to the store and campsite area. The burger place
            closes at 5pm, they also do excellent ice cream. And really good cooked
            breakfasts. The store is 7pm or 8pm, I can't recall. There is a small gear
            and climbing store as well, behind the gas station, which is slightly west
            of the store. The store itself sells stuff like socks, hats, first aid
            supplies, deet & sunscreen - they have run out of deet at times due to heavy
            demand. They also have beer, liquor, dehydrated meals, and a few "amateur"
            camping supplies. And fresh food, meat, fruit, milk etc. The gear store
            has some clothing, boots, batteries, poles, etc. There's a big notice board
            for leaving messages outside the store. And the post office is the only one
            in the USA that has a disco ball and a yoda inside!

            The free shuttle also goes from the store to the Tuolumne Lodge where you
            can have a huge cooked meal (expensive). That's where the tent cabins are.
            It's a mile or likely more from the store. Easily walkable, rather heavy
            going sandy rutted path in places, then road. There're showers here but in
            2008 they restricted them to tent cabin guests only. The wilderness permit
            ranger station is half way between the store and the lodge - shuttle bus
            also stops there. There's another ranger station next to the store where
            they give out campsite reservations. The backpackers' site is free however.
            One way to get from the backpackers' site to the JMT is just to head east
            from the site to the river, then take the trail heading upstream (south),
            and you'll hit the JMT once you get to the footbridges over the river. The
            trail that comes in from the footbridges from the east bank is from Tuolumne
            Lodge.

            I camp up there every summer; it's my second home (I wish). Barbara

            _____

            --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
            wrote:

            > Total N-S Mileage Description UTM_NAD83
            > ---------------- ---------------------------------------
            > ----------------------
            > 20.7 Cathedral Lakes Trail Junction 11S 290368E
            > 4194330N
            > 21.6 western merge with alternate route 11S 291408E
            > 4194086N
            > 22.2 Parsons Lodge Junction 11S 291817E
            > 4194970N
            > 22.9 Tuolumne Meadows backpackers campground
            > 22.9 Lembert Dome parking area 11S 293042E
            > 4194785N
            > 24.0 Tuolumne High Sierra Camp junction 11S 294606E
            > 4194623N
            > 24.6 eastern merge with alternate route 11S 294742E
            > 4193824N
            >
            > The above is taken from the Spreadsheet of the JMT GPS
            waypoint/Campsites
            > that Lizzy Wenks provided our group (see file library for our group)
            >
            > Which one of the above is closest to the Toulumne Meadows Post
            Office. What
            > time does the Toulumne Meadows Post Office close during the day. My
            > understanding is to resupply at Toulumne Meadows, you send your
            cache into
            > the Post Office, correct? Does anyone have any extra information or
            > correction to the above?
            >
            > Thanks!

          • Kevin Aston
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 20, 2008
              Sounds like you took a left where you should have taken a right.
              A left takes you to the road, where you can catch the shuttle to the
              Post Office if you want. Turning right you follow the trail to the
              right and in a couple of miles it takes you into the car campground.
              You walk along the road until you come to the dumpsters. If you hang a
              right there you go to the hikers camp, about 200 feet, if you hang a
              left there and go about the same distance you come to the store and
              post office. The main trail continues from the North West corner of
              the car campground and follows the river for several miles.
              http://www.kevinaston.com/toDonohue.html .
              Fun hike.
              Kevin Aston

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "zmortalcityz"

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 20, 2008

                I would say "22.9 Tuolumne Meadows backpackers campground"

                As far as I know the backpackers campground is not anywhere near the
                trail though, so I don't know why it would be listed as a mileage.

                What I did with Lizzy's spreadsheet was take the waypoint/junction data and
                merge with the campsite data so that as I walk the trail, I can see by
                looking at one printed-out spreadsheet (landscape mode, legal paper,
                duplex-printing on both sides of paper), what's up ahead. We used it for
                the hike in 2008 from Red Meadows to Whitney Portal and it was a Godsend --
                it allowed us to adjust our plan on the fly letting us know whether to stop
                short or go a bit farther.

                I presumed I could use the unused parts of her spreadsheet rows for the
                portion from Yosemite Valley to Red Meadows, as in 2009 I hope to hike the
                entire JMT, not just the last 165 miles which I did in 2008.

                So doing this merge, I ran the risk of merging tangent gps points, and
                perhaps at Tuolumne Meadows, it is that case. However, we were able to use
                the data just fine from Red Meadows southward all the way to Whitney Portal.

                Roleigh

              • John Karpinski
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 21, 2008
                  To add clarity to the description below, Yosemite's official site has a general map of TM.
                  http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/tmhikes08.pdf
                  What isn't labeled on the map is the backpacker's camping area which is located near the
                  Dana Campfire Circle.

                  Hope it helps,
                  John Karpinski