RE: [John Muir Trail] JMT (Part 1) trip report and photos, July 2008

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 11, 2008
      Oh dear, bad mozzies then huh - but I guess it varies year to year.

      _____

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
        Both times we have gotten walk in permits in the Valley. The first
        time the soonest permit we could get was two days later. The next
        time I was first in line in the Valley. I couldn't get a permit to
        leave until the dext day but it turned out there was a spot to leave
        out of Tuolumne. So I ended up leaving out of Tuolumne the same
        morning! Just arrive really really early to the permit office and you
        should have no problems getting a permit for the next day or day
        after. Everytime we've hiked out of the valley in general, we've
        arrived really late the night before (well, early morning) and then
        just waited outside the permit office. Other people might start
        showing up around 6am if I recall correctly. I really like the
        Vogelsang area out of Tuolumne, you can make a huge loop from the
        Valley thru Vogelsand and Lyell Canyon. Worth looking into. Theres
        so many places I want to check out in more detail that I passed up on
        the JMT. I remember one lady made kindof a smart ass comment that
        still sticks in my head. I was doing some pretty big days at the end
        (relatively speaking), was going to be finishing in 5-6 days from that
        point and I think she was taking like 2+ weeks for the Whitney half.
        Something about slow down so I can enjoy the scenery. Well I am
        enjoying it! And now I know the gems to come back for! Who says you
        can't enjoy the challenge of it, its not like you miss out if you
        aren't doing 5 mile days.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

        > This was the exact section trip I had planned for last August, but
        failed not only to succesfully reserve a permit in advance, but was
        also unsuccessful in getting a "day of" entry by going to the TM
        station. In addition to the ridiculously low trail quota for TM
        departure, it appeared that applying for the permit a few months in
        advance was just too slow.

        > We had a back-up plan and ended up doing the Agnew Meadow Loop
        through Clark, 1000 Is., Garnett, and Shadow Lakes, but I'm sure the
        TM to RM section would have been a better overall experieince.

        > Any suggestions for future attempts from JMT vets who manage to
        successfully secure permits? I've even considered the reverse
        direction from RM to TM, but it's not ideal.

        > ---- "Robert W. Freed" <robert@...> wrote:
        > > Probable the easiest part of the JMT. Spend the night at the walk
        in hiker camp at Tuolumne Meadows. Next morning several miles of
        gentle hiking along the Lylle Fork of the Tuolumne River. Then a mild
        stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass. It's all down hill from there. But
        the mosquitoes can be brutal all the way to Thousand Islands Lake. And
        the bears at Red's Meadow... well... nightly raids are common. Then
        catch the bus into Mammoth. Then another back to your car at Tuolumne.
        Ahhh... brings back memories.

        > > Robert

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
          Am I just lucky? I've done the JMT a number of times now, since 1996 and NEVER ever, have I applied months in advance or waited in the dark chill of the morning for the office to open (only to be told I'd have to wait until the next day) I've always arrived in the valley via AMTRAK at about 1:30 p.m., walked into the office and got a permit, usually to leave the next day. The one time I did get a permit to leave that very day, I got a ride in and got the permit at the park entrance��by the time I got to the valley floor, I went in and got it changed to leave the next day.It's a good idea to abide by the permit��but if you get there and they say, YOU MUST LEAVE today, and you don't want to��don't. just go about your business and get a spot in the backpackers campground (or wherever ) then leave bright and early next morning. You can always say, if asked, that you got sick, you had to wait for a third party��or you twisted an ankle . . . There are always rangers lurking about at the falls or most certainly at little yosemite. if you show up a day late on your permit, well, you can get away with that, but if you show up a day EARLY, that's a no-no. it's easy to say you got detained by whatever excuse you can forge, but to get out on the trail a day early��that's asking for little miss nazi-rangerette at Little Yosemite to ticket you and give you a long spiel, all ther while, her hand lingers, ready to draw on you with her park issued 9mm . . . . damn you for coming in early!!!sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comCC: robert@...: jmaddog1082@...: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:03:07 -0800Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Twolumne Meadow to red meadow

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
            it's not really an "ascent" but I've always wanted to do it, either AT, or snowshoes. let's make a spring plan!sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comFrom: tgtaylor7@...: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:22:27 -0800Subject: [John Muir Trail] Winter Ascent of the JMT

            Anyone considering a winter ascent of the JMT?

            Thomas

          • Kevin Aston
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 20, 2008
              I don't do it on line I call the office and then you can see what your options are. I never missed getting my target date though, but I get my permits 4 months in advance.
              Kevin Aston

              ---- "Robert W. Freed" <robert@engravingpro s.com> wrote:

              > Probable the easiest part of the JMT. Spend the night at the walk in hiker camp at Tuolumne Meadows. Next morning several miles of gentle hiking along the Lylle Fork of the Tuolumne River. Then a mild stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass. It's all down hill from there. But the mosquitoes can be brutal all the way to Thousand Islands Lake. And the bears at Red's Meadow... well... nightly raids are common. Then catch the bus into Mammoth. Then another back to your car at Tuolumne. Ahhh... brings back memories.

              > Robert

              > --- On Fri, 12/12/08, The Cisco Kid <dandyric@yahoo. com> wrote:

              > From: The Cisco Kid <dandyric@yahoo. com>

              > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT (Part 1) trip report and photos, July 2008

              > To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

              > Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 5:13 PM

              > doing JMT from Twolumne Meadow to red meadow in Aug 2009....about 36 miles??

            • akunkle99
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 20, 2008
                Yeah, there were a few. Fortunately, Sunrise was the worst place on
                the whole trip. Bug conditions gradually improved after that (and we
                started putting significant effort into finding campsites that were
                less buggy).

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"