After the Hike

  • jj442434
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
      My friend and I will be finishing up our thru hike in late August, on the 23rd as it stands now. We have to be back in LA for our first day of classes by the 28th. So that leaves us with 3 to 4 days to hang out in the southern Sierra, depending on how soon we want to start choking on smog again.

      We'll have a car waiting in Lone Pine, so what should we do/see/climb to celebrate the end of our trip and put off getting back to the real world?
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
        Lone Pine has a movie museum that is very interesting.
        It is about 1-2 miles south of town.

        If you have a car, there are some natural hot springs to enjoy around Mammoth Lakes/Devil's Postpile area.

        If you have some fishing gear and a license, driving up to Horseshoe Meadow TH from Lone Pine (about 20 minute drive), you can go up and over into Golden Trout Wilderness area and fish -- I've seen plenty of hiker/fisherman do day hike/fishing there.  Don't know if you need a permit to do this or not.

        You might be able to visit some of the movie studios in the Alabama hills, not sure, haven't done that or researched it. Has anyone here researched such?

        On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM, jj442434 <jj442434@...> wrote:

        My friend and I will be finishing up our thru hike in late August, on the 23rd as it stands now. We have to be back in LA for our first day of classes by the 28th. So that leaves us with 3 to 4 days to hang out in the southern Sierra, depending on how soon we want to start choking on smog again.

        We'll have a car waiting in Lone Pine, so what should we do/see/climb to celebrate the end of our trip and put off getting back to the real world?

      • ravi_jmt2013
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
          The Bristlecone Pine Forest is a very interesting place:

          http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5129900

          I haven't been there for many years but plan to visit on my way back to Vegas after doing the North Lake South Lake loop next month.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jj442434" <jj442434@...> wrote:

          > My friend and I will be finishing up our thru hike in late August, on the 23rd as it stands now. We have to be back in LA for our first day of classes by the 28th. So that leaves us with 3 to 4 days to hang out in the southern Sierra, depending on how soon we want to start choking on smog again.
          >
          > We'll have a car waiting in Lone Pine, so what should we do/see/climb to celebrate the end of our trip and put off getting back to the real world?

        • Jim Ringland
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013

            Maybe head over to the White Mountains.  See the Schulman Grove and Patriarch Groves of bristlecone pines.  Compare them with the foxtail pines you will have seen on the Bighorn Plateau and elsewhere along the trail -- bristlecones and foxtails are close relatives.

            I've never done it, but I'm told the dayhike to the top of White Mountain Peak (14,246') is both straightforward and interesting.  It's on my to-do list.

            Jim Ringland

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013

              "so what should we do/see/climb to celebrate the end of our trip and put off getting back to the real world?"

              Don't rush . . . your plans might go exactly as planned, but that's almost boring––you're not in a business meeting––you're in the Sierra and before long, while choking on that lovely L.A. air, you'll be thinking about all the places you could have stopped.

              Obviously you have to get back to L.A. sort out things and get on with whatever, but having a car at the portal certainly cuts a lot of fuss out––it'll only take you a few hours to drive home––a day to clean up and then, get to it . . .

              I would take stock of your situation when you are about five days from the finish, or maybe, depending on how fast you get to to MTR ––the middle of the trail, somewhat––maybe then it will be time to slow down and once you start hitting those passes and getting those views, you'll have lots of inspiration for stopping.

              If anything, I would suggest stopping for the night on the Big Horn Plateau, at the little "no name" lake. STAY OFF the grass, camp on the sandy northern shore . . .

              Most people get up there and zip right past this spot, all eager to get to crabtree or bust it out and make it to Guitar or even up Whitney, but if you've got the time, this is a sweet spot to stop and just take it all in––the views ain't bad and I've always thought of this place, these views as one of the last places to just kinda be there, in the moment, to take in everything yo've done.

              Sit, relax, be . . . watch everyone else hustle past, so they can summit and get back to it all . . . sure, we all have to do it, but if you've got the time, then crush that burning desire to get it all done.

              Sit on the Bighorn for a night and in the morning you can then head for Guitar Lake. Usually "lots" of people there and the general energy is all about getting up and over––getting it done––so while the views up there are still great, the energy and mind-set is all about finishing––it's like you've already left the trail and then you get up to the top of Whitney and it's all this big celebration and yahoo and let's get down and . . . .

              I'm just saying that the Bighorn has always been that special place for me to take it all in and sorta say goodbye to the experience . . . your place and your moment, will no doubt vary.

              And having said all this dribble, if you should just blitz the trail and need a diversion, the pool and hot tub at the Dow Villa, might just work . . .

              BOB

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: jj442434@...
              Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:57:30 +0000

              My friend and I will be finishing up our thru hike in late August, on the 23rd as it stands now. We have to be back in LA for our first day of classes by the 28th. So that leaves us with 3 to 4 days to hang out in the southern Sierra, depending on how soon we want to start choking on smog again.

              We'll have a car waiting in Lone Pine, so what should we do/see/climb to celebrate the end of our trip and put off getting back to the real world?

            • robert shattuck
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013

                "Lone Pine has a movie museum that is very interesting. It is about 1-2 miles south of town."

                Roleigh,

                The Movie Museum is actually right there in town . . . just south about as far as you can throw a big Mac from the McDonalds.

                It's the ranger station/visitor center that's about 1.5 miles south of town.  I know this because I've always thought to go to the museum, but never bothered as the Dow has enough to look at.

                And just to be sure I called and spoke to some there at the museum . . . also, if you look at their website:

                "Located on US 395 on the South side of Lone Pine directly across the street from Inyo National Forest Ranger Station and just down the street from Mc Donalds."

                But even this is kind of wrong or needs to be updated . . . the little ranger station there in "downtown" Lone Pine, is no longer functioning as such and you do in fact need to make that 1.5 mile trek south in order to take care of any ranger station business . . .

                If you've really got a day to kill in LP, then aside from the big movie museum, there's a small once up a block and on the left side of town . . . The Darwin Museum

                There's also MANZANAR if you have a car . . . about five minutes north on 395 and worth a visit.

                BOB

              • jj442434
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
                  This sounds by far the most appealing to me, and believe me I've though about it. But i just don't see getting more than 8 days (our planned time from MTR to Whitney) worth of food into a BV500. I will certainly not be in a rush, I'll be out there as long as I have food.

                  Does anyone know if it's possible to send a resupply to Whitney Portal, and head right back into the backcountry after "finishing" our hike? I know the permit system there is a mess but on my permit from Happy Isles I said we'd be finishing on the 28th, so maybe that would cover it?

                • mojavemoon@pacbell.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
                    After a long hike, I'd be inclined to just chill out at Keough Hot Springs Resort (funky atmosphere, in a good way) and head over to Whiskey Creek in Bishop for happy hour (half price off food items on the menu - great deal!). I also highly recommend the Bristlecone Pine Forest and the Eastern Sierra Museum in Independence. If you do go to the Bristlecone, you can camp for free (donation recommended) at Grandview Campground along the way. The Inyo/White Mountains are quite special. I spend most of my summer working in this area and never see it all! - Betsy

> [...]
                    > > Sit on the Bighorn for a night and in the morning you can then head for Guitar Lake. Usually "lots" of people there and the general energy is all about getting up and over––getting it done––so while the views up there are still great, the energy and mind-set is all about finishing––it's like you've already left the trail and then you get up to the top of Whitney and it's all this big celebration and yahoo and let's get down and . . . .
                    > > I'm just saying that the Bighorn has always been that special place for me to take it all in and sorta say goodbye to the experience . . . your place and your moment, will no doubt vary.
                    > > And having said all this dribble, if you should just blitz the trail and need a diversion, the pool and hot tub at the Dow Villa, might just work . . .

                  • Gail
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
                      The Manzanar National Historic Site is 9 miles north of Lone Pine (http://www.nps.gov/manz/index.htm). (If you're not familiar with it, Manzanar was the site of one of the Japanese internment camps during World War II.) The site and its Visitor Center are well worth visiting.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
                        "Does anyone know if it's possible to send a resupply to Whitney Portal, and head right back into the backcountry after "finishing" our hike? I know the permit system there is a mess but on my permit from Happy Isles I said we'd be finishing on the 28th, so maybe that would cover it?"

                        Seriously doubt it. The portal doesn't do resupplies and my bet is once you come all the way down from whitney, you're not really going to grab some food and head back up.

                        Bob

                      • Robert
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
                          Go to the film museum then do a self-guided tour of tbe Alabama Hills where many famous movies were made. Youl