Re: 4 resupply points or 3

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 19, 2013
      We're starting the JMT on July 13 from Glacier Point. Our resupply plan is:

      Carry two days of food at start from Glacier Point.
      Pick up resupply package at Tuolumne post office with 3 days of food.
      Pick up resupply package at Red's Meadow with 5 days of food.
      Pick up resupply pack at MTR with 10 days of food.

      We plan to eat a big meal at Tuolumne and Red's Meadow.

      We will mail all resupply packages 3 days before we leave.

      We considered hiring a packer to bring us food midway between MTR and Whitney Portal, but decided we wanted the flexibility of going our own pace and not having to meet the packer on a particular day.

      The downside of our plan is a heavy few days out of MTR over Muir Pass.

      As for fishing, all fishing on public lands requires a fishing permit from the California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/fishdescrip.html.

      --John

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Brian Ding <brian_ding@...> wrote:

      > This is my first time backpacking on JMT. I will start from Yosemite National Park on August 11 and finish at Mt. Whitney on Sept. 1. I am doing it solo. There are so many details to worry about. The more I prepare it, the more questions I have. But I have to focus on the main concerns.
      >
      > My original food plan was 4 resupply points in 22 days.
      > Food plan 1: This was my ideal food resupply plan. I preferred to add one more resupply point at independence. Starting from Yosemite Valley with 3 days food and resupply at Tuolumne Meadow (mail 4 days food), Red Meadow(mail 3 days food), Vermillion Valley Resort(mail 5 days food and buy some food when passing MTR, or pick some food from donation bins. J) and Independence(shop for 4.5 days food). By doing this way, bring the heaviest pack down at least 5 lbs.  But I am not sure about transportation from Onion Valley trail head to Independence and back. Anyone has the detail info about Resupply in Independence or Bishop?
      >
      > Food plan 2: 3 resupply points on the way. Starting at Yosemite Valley with 3.5 days food and resupply at Tuolumne Meadow(mail 3 days food), Red Meadow(mail 3.5 days food) and Muir Trail Ranch(mail 10 days food). 10 days food will be counted 10 â€" 15 lbs and added up to the base weight.
      > You may notice from my Food Plan 2. There is only 20 days food. From my personal experience, in the first 2 days on the trail, my appetite will always drop a bit. But after resupply at MTR, I still short one day food.
      > I may have some extra time after daily hiking on the trail. And I plan to bring my 6 oz weight fishing gears which is about one dinner’s weight. Is it possible to fish along the trail and take it as the food supplement? Is fishing permit required?
      >
      > I would appreciate any inputs, suggestions, comments. Thank you!
      >
      > Brian

    • straw_marmot
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 26, 2013
        16L, you can just eat all your food and climb into the thing if a bear attacks