Re: 4 resupply points or 3

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 19, 2013
      Regarding Independence, I'm not planning to resupply there but I read about a pretty good deal that includes one night lodging, shuttle to/from the trailhead, laundry, and holding a resupply package for $175:

      http://mtwilliamsonmotel.com/resupply/

      I was quoted $80 for the Onion Valley pack station to hold a package which could also be an option if you're looking to just pick up the resupply and get back on the trail.

      I don't want to go into "civilization" during the hike and the $80 fee at Onion Valley seems kind of expensive so I have opted to just carry more weight than I would like for the first couple of days out of MTR.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Brian Ding <brian_ding@...> wrote:

      > This is my first time backpacking on JMT. I will start from Yosemite National Park on August 11 and finish at Mt. Whitney on Sept. 1. I am doing it solo. There are so many details to worry about. The more I prepare it, the more questions I have. But I have to focus on the main concerns.
      >
      > My original food plan was 4 resupply points in 22 days.
      > Food plan 1: This was my ideal food resupply plan. I preferred to add one more resupply point at independence. Starting from Yosemite Valley with 3 days food and resupply at Tuolumne Meadow (mail 4 days food), Red Meadow(mail 3 days food), Vermillion Valley Resort(mail 5 days food and buy some food when passing MTR, or pick some food from donation bins. J) and Independence(shop for 4.5 days food). By doing this way, bring the heaviest pack down at least 5 lbs.  But I am not sure about transportation from Onion Valley trail head to Independence and back. Anyone has the detail info about Resupply in Independence or Bishop?
      >
      > Food plan 2: 3 resupply points on the way. Starting at Yosemite Valley with 3.5 days food and resupply at Tuolumne Meadow(mail 3 days food), Red Meadow(mail 3.5 days food) and Muir Trail Ranch(mail 10 days food). 10 days food will be counted 10 â€" 15 lbs and added up to the base weight.
      > You may notice from my Food Plan 2. There is only 20 days food. From my personal experience, in the first 2 days on the trail, my appetite will always drop a bit. But after resupply at MTR, I still short one day food.
      > I may have some extra time after daily hiking on the trail. And I plan to bring my 6 oz weight fishing gears which is about one dinner’s weight. Is it possible to fish along the trail and take it as the food supplement? Is fishing permit required?
      >
      > I would appreciate any inputs, suggestions, comments. Thank you!
      >
      > Brian

    • straw_marmot
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 26, 2013
        16L, you can just eat all your food and climb into the thing if a bear attacks