RE: [John Muir Trail] JMT (Part 1) trip report and photos, July 2008

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 11, 2008
      Oh dear, bad mozzies then huh - but I guess it varies year to year.

      _____

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
        Anyone considering a winter ascent of the JMT?

        Thomas

      • zmortalcityz
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
          I completely agree with that sentiment John. I went over Donahue
          twice this summer. The first time I was actually pretty violently
          ill, puking from just over the serious stream crossing to the top.
          Over and over. While maybe not entirely because the altitude, i'm
          sure it was a significant factor. We left the Valley late on day 1.
          By the end of day 2 we were asleep at Tuolumne, and by the end of day
          3 were over Donahue. Like you said, the second half of the trip was a
          pass (or two) a day. Lyell canyon is the easiest bit of the entire
          200+ miles and Donahue is one of the mellowest passes. Donahue is
          right at the start, before you've become fully acclimated (if you ever
          do, depending on how fast you do the trail) which made it pretty
          difficult for me the first time.

          I actually slept right on the side of Forester well above timberline
          behind a little rock wall just big enough to sleep in. What are those
          called? It was bitter cold. I had just woken up and hadn't even
          prepared breakfast and I saw 2 women hike by on the trail. I saw them
          at the top of the pass maybe 3 hours later. It was a beautiful day
          with great weather (which was a first) and I just charged right up
          Forester. It was so ridiculously easy to the point that I really
          found it hilarious. Usually i'll do lunch on the passes or something.
          I even took a nap all afternoon in a little grassy patch on the
          barren north side of muir pass, wow was that nice or what. It really
          goes to show you how much the acclimatization does for you. The
          couple thousand foot descent up Whitney was actually kind of
          disappointing. I mean the switchbacks were boring enough but the
          challenge just wasn't there.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John Karpinski" <jckarpin@...>

        • jmaddog1082@charter.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
            This was the exact section trip I had planned for last August, but failed not only to succesfully reserve a permit in advance, but was also unsuccessful in getting a "day of" entry by going to the TM station. In addition to the ridiculously low trail quota for TM departure, it appeared that applying for the permit a few months in advance was just too slow.

            We had a back-up plan and ended up doing the Agnew Meadow Loop through Clark, 1000 Is., Garnett, and Shadow Lakes, but I'm sure the TM to RM section would have been a better overall experieince.

            Any suggestions for future attempts from JMT vets who manage to successfully secure permits? I've even considered the reverse direction from RM to TM, but it's not ideal.

            ---- "Robert W. Freed" <robert@...> wrote:
            > Probable the easiest part of the JMT. Spend the night at the walk in hiker camp at Tuolumne Meadows. Next morning several miles of gentle hiking along the Lylle Fork of the Tuolumne River. Then a mild stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass. It's all down hill from there. But the mosquitoes can be brutal all the way to Thousand Islands Lake. And the bears at Red's Meadow... well... nightly raids are common. Then catch the bus into Mammoth. Then another back to your car at Tuolumne. Ahhh... brings back memories.
            >
            > Robert

          • zmortalcityz
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
              Both times we have gotten walk in permits in the Valley. The first
              time the soonest permit we could get was two days later. The next
              time I was first in line in the Valley. I couldn't get a permit to
              leave until the dext day but it turned out there was a spot to leave
              out of Tuolumne. So I ended up leaving out of Tuolumne the same
              morning! Just arrive really really early to the permit office and you
              should have no problems getting a permit for the next day or day
              after. Everytime we've hiked out of the valley in general, we've
              arrived really late the night before (well, early morning) and then
              just waited outside the permit office. Other people might start
              showing up around 6am if I recall correctly. I really like the
              Vogelsang area out of Tuolumne, you can make a huge loop from the
              Valley thru Vogelsand and Lyell Canyon. Worth looking into. Theres
              so many places I want to check out in more detail that I passed up on
              the JMT. I remember one lady made kindof a smart ass comment that
              still sticks in my head. I was doing some pretty big days at the end
              (relatively speaking), was going to be finishing in 5-6 days from that
              point and I think she was taking like 2+ weeks for the Whitney half.
              Something about slow down so I can enjoy the scenery. Well I am
              enjoying it! And now I know the gems to come back for! Who says you
              can't enjoy the challenge of it, its not like you miss out if you
              aren't doing 5 mile days.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

              > This was the exact section trip I had planned for last August, but
              failed not only to succesfully reserve a permit in advance, but was
              also unsuccessful in getting a "day of" entry by going to the TM
              station. In addition to the ridiculously low trail quota for TM
              departure, it appeared that applying for the permit a few months in
              advance was just too slow.

              > We had a back-up plan and ended up doing the Agnew Meadow Loop
              through Clark, 1000 Is., Garnett, and Shadow Lakes, but I'm sure the
              TM to RM section would have been a better overall experieince.

              > Any suggestions for future attempts from JMT vets who manage to
              successfully secure permits? I've even considered the reverse
              direction from RM to TM, but it's not ideal.

              > ---- "Robert W. Freed" <robert@...> wrote:
              > > Probable the easiest part of the JMT. Spend the night at the walk
              in hiker camp at Tuolumne Meadows. Next morning several miles of
              gentle hiking along the Lylle Fork of the Tuolumne River. Then a mild
              stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass. It's all down hill from there. But
              the mosquitoes can be brutal all the way to Thousand Islands Lake. And
              the bears at Red's Meadow... well... nightly raids are common. Then
              catch the bus into Mammoth. Then another back to your car at Tuolumne.
              Ahhh... brings back memories.

              > > Robert

            • robert shattuck
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                Am I just lucky? I've done the JMT a number of times now, since 1996 and NEVER ever, have I applied months in advance or waited in the dark chill of the morning for the office to open (only to be told I'd have to wait until the next day) I've always arrived in the valley via AMTRAK at about 1:30 p.m., walked into the office and got a permit, usually to leave the next day. The one time I did get a permit to leave that very day, I got a ride in and got the permit at the park entrance��by the time I got to the valley floor, I went in and got it changed to leave the next day.It's a good idea to abide by the permit��but if you get there and they say, YOU MUST LEAVE today, and you don't want to��don't. just go about your business and get a spot in the backpackers campground (or wherever ) then leave bright and early next morning. You can always say, if asked, that you got sick, you had to wait for a third party��or you twisted an ankle . . . There are always rangers lurking about at the falls or most certainly at little yosemite. if you show up a day late on your permit, well, you can get away with that, but if you show up a day EARLY, that's a no-no. it's easy to say you got detained by whatever excuse you can forge, but to get out on the trail a day early��that's asking for little miss nazi-rangerette at Little Yosemite to ticket you and give you a long spiel, all ther while, her hand lingers, ready to draw on you with her park issued 9mm . . . . damn you for coming in early!!!sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comCC: robert@...: jmaddog1082@...: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:03:07 -0800Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Twolumne Meadow to red meadow

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                  it's not really an "ascent" but I've always wanted to do it, either AT, or snowshoes. let's make a spring plan!sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comFrom: tgtaylor7@...: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:22:27 -0800Subject: [John Muir Trail] Winter Ascent of the JMT

                  Anyone considering a winter ascent of the JMT?

                  Thomas

                • Kevin Aston
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 20, 2008
                    I don't do it on line I call the office and then you can see what your options are. I never missed getting my target date though, but I get my permits 4 months in advance.
                    Kevin Aston

                    ---- "Robert W. Freed" <robert@engravingpro s.com> wrote:

                    > Probable the easiest part of the JMT. Spend the night at the walk in hiker camp at Tuolumne Meadows. Next morning several miles of gentle hiking along the Lylle Fork of the Tuolumne River. Then a mild stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass. It's all down hill from there. But the mosquitoes can be brutal all the way to Thousand Islands Lake. And the bears at Red's Meadow... well... nightly raids are common. Then catch the bus into Mammoth. Then another back to your car at Tuolumne. Ahhh... brings back memories.

                    > Robert

                    > --- On Fri, 12/12/08, The Cisco Kid <dandyric@yahoo. com> wrote:

                    > From: The Cisco Kid <dandyric@yahoo. com>

                    > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT (Part 1) trip report and photos, July 2008

                    > To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                    > Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 5:13 PM

                    > doing JMT from Twolumne Meadow to red meadow in Aug 2009....about 36 miles??

                  • akunkle99
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 20, 2008
                      Yeah, there were a few. Fortunately, Sunrise was the worst place on
                      the whole trip. Bug conditions gradually improved after that (and we
                      started putting significant effort into finding campsites that were
                      less buggy).

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"