Gear list and questions:

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 18, 2013
      below is my gear list. I think I've got it locked down but have a few random questions:

      1) How many socks do folks bring? I'm going with 3. Two for hiking (one can get wet) and one for sleep. Thoughts? Same question for shirts - I bring one for day, and one for night.
      2) What type of multipurpose tool do folks think is ideal? Needs to open bear box, cut things, maybe pick up hot things, ect.
      3) Trying something new this year - replacing a book and camera with my iphone and solar charger goal zero nomad 7. Any thoughts on this? The weight is a almost a push, and now I can have music!
      4) how much 'extra' food to carry? Typically I like to carry 1 full extra day's worth, but I'm leaning towards just one extra dinner.

      Anywhoo - I'll finally finish the JMT this year (4th sectional over 5 years), so I'm pretty locked in, but always am trying to refine my gear list.

      Food
      6 dinnners - dehydro
      6 lunch - jerky / dryed fruit / trail mix
      6 breakfast - granola, pop tarts, dried fruit
      instant coffee
      Bear container

      Food Gear
      Stove
      Fuel
      Iodine pills (just in case)
      A pot
      cup
      Flame of Fire (bic lighter and backup matches)
      Spork
      plyatpus bladder

      Camping Gear
      backpack
      Tent
      tent footprint
      Sleeping bag
      Headlamp
      Maps
      Sun glasses
      Camera
      whistle

      Toiletries
      Bug Spray / deet
      Sun block
      First aid kit - advil, tape, pepto, bandaids
      Tootbrush/paste
      Toilet paper
      small shovel
      chap stick
      talcome powder
      Bug Netting for head

      Clothes
      Pants/zip off leggings
      2 hiking shirts
      3 socks
      waterproof layer
      Hiking shoes
      camp site shoes (crocks)
      warm layer
      Hat
      gloves

      Others
      Id / credit card / cash
      Health Insurance card
    • Inga Aksamit
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 19, 2013
        Gear is so personal but here's what I do, in answer to some of your specific questions. For longer hikes of a week or more I bring just 2 pairs of socks and alternate during the day, usually rinsing out one pair at night. Same for shirts--wear one, rinse every couple of days and keep one relatively clean for sleeping in. For shorter hikes, when I have the luxury of more space I increase both to 3. We used to carry a big multitool but now have a small one with just the basics. My whistle is on a ring, like a key ring, and I can actually use that ring to open my bear barrel. We usually carry one extra dinner and some extra dehydrated mashed potatoes, and we often have a couple of extra energy bars left over. I haven't figured out the solar charger electronics yet but have been following the recent discussions closely. I'm testing the XTG-SIK 1500 right now, considering using my Android smart phone for music reading, but will take a camera too for redundancy. Hard to give up my Kindle though.

        Inga Aksamit
        Mobile: 415-470-1812
        Email: Iaksamit@...
        Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
        About Me: about.me/IngasAdventures
      • Rick Martyn
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 19, 2013
          Compass?
          Water filter or steri-pen? (or are you just using the iodine pills?)

          Rick M.

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 19, 2013

            Rick,

            1. Socks, I usually bring two pairs for hiking and one pair for sleeping. I find that the a super-light, cheap pair work best for sleeping as I am not looking for warmth, so much as just something between my skin and the bag.

            2. Knife, multi-tool . . . I will no doubt need one some day, but I can't tell yo when the last time was I actually wished I'd had one.  I use an "olfa-touch knife" just an an exacto blade in a little spring loaded case, about as big a quarter and weight nothing. I bring a few of them, but always have one in my pocket.

            What do you really need to cut with a big, burly multi-tool––and to those of you out there, reading along––what have you had to use your multi-tool for that a simple exacto blade device wouldn't  suffice?

            3. No comment.

            . . . as for bringing BIC LIGHTERS . . . why back them up with matches . . . just bring another BIC lighter . . . like my exacto blade devices, BIC lighters weigh nothing, you can carry several of them and don't need to ever have it in the back of your head that your matches might get wet.

            BOB

          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 19, 2013
            Rick,

             I forgot to add that you don"t need a multi-tool to open a bear canister . . . I found a quarter once, with a hole in it and I ran some cord through the hole, which helps when digging it out of your pocket . . . been using this for years as well . . .  here's a pic of both the quarter and the blade.

            bob

            forkfestreview.wordpress.com
            sparklefart.blogspot.com

          • rand
            Message 6 of 15 , Jun 19, 2013
              1) You note iodine pills....would recommend moving to chlorine dioxide

              2) I didn't see any other water purification method....not sure if you're part of the "water in the Sierra is safe" crowd

              3) Didn't see tent stakes

              4) Didn't see hiking poles

              Rand :-)
            • Chris
              Message 7 of 15 , Jun 19, 2013
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, rand <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > 1) You note iodine pills....would recommend moving to chlorine dioxide
                >
                > 2) I didn't see any other water purification method....not sure if you're part of the "water in the Sierra is safe" crowd
                >
                > 3) Didn't see tent stakes
                >
                > 4) Didn't see hiking poles
                >
                > Rand :-)

                Thanks. Tent includes poles, will check out cholorine, and I bring poles, they are in the pile, not sure why not on the list. I'm part of the 'safe water' crowd - 3 trips no issues.
              • Ned Tibbits
                Message 8 of 15 , Jun 20, 2013
                  Regarding bringing multiple Bic lighters, I do this, but it wasn’t until our recent Snow Intermediate Course from Echo Summit to Donner Summit that I realized that the conditions where one goes down will cause the other to go down, too. Bringing a different kind of fire starter solved this problem! (The strike-anywhere matches were not affected by the high humidity condition).

                  Regarding a small multi-tool, I’ve always wanted to do this, but haven’t yet, just bringing a medium-sized Swiss Army knife with magnifying glass (yet a third fire starter). I had occasion to wish I had that multi-tool on the above trip because I broke a tent pole on the first night of seven and had to improvise a tent-stake-splint and duct tape repair for the rest of the trip! The tool would have allowed me to wire-tie the split tubing or at least squeeze it together better before taping. Now I know that I need a better repair kit that includes some zip-ties, a little bailing wire, a small tubing clamp, the requisite duct tape, etc..

                  Ned Tibbits, Director
                  Mountain Education
                  www.mountaineducation.org

                  Message 9 of 15 , Jun 20, 2013
                    "Bringing a different kind of fire starter solved this problem! (The strike-anywhere matches were not affected by the high humidity condition)"

                    Ned,

                    Good point . . . I've just never had one of my bics fail me while winter camping or in the heat of summer . . . to be honest though, I've had them not work on occasion, but when you pack three or four of them, you're always going to find one that works, in my experience . . .  and they weigh nothing.

                    Bob

                  • Larry Beck
                    Message 10 of 15 , Jun 20, 2013
                      I usually keep a bic lighter in my pants pocket. It keeps it warm and I don't count it in my backpacking weight spread sheet. I do always carry some strike anywhere matches though.. :)

                      Larry

                      Message 11 of 15 , Jun 20, 2013
                        " Now I know that I need a better repair kit that includes some zip-ties, a little bailing wire, a small tubing clamp, the requisite duct tape, etc.."

                        Looks like all you're missing now are some vice grips, channel locks, screwdrivers, a hammer, and a fold up shovel and you'll have it covered! : )

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ned Tibbits" <ned@...> wrote:

                        > Regarding bringing multiple Bic lighters, I do this, but it wasn't until our recent Snow Intermediate Course from Echo Summit to Donner Summit that I realized that the conditions where one goes down will cause the other to go down, too. Bringing a different kind of fire starter solved this problem! (The strike-anywhere matches were not affected by the high humidity condition).
                        >
                        > Regarding a small multi-tool, I've always wanted to do this, but haven't yet, just bringing a medium-sized Swiss Army knife with magnifying glass (yet a third fire starter). I had occasion to wish I had that multi-tool on the above trip because I broke a tent pole on the first night of seven and had to improvise a tent-stake-splint and duct tape repair for the rest of the trip! The tool would have allowed me to wire-tie the split tubing or at least squeeze it together better before taping. Now I know that I need a better repair kit that includes some zip-ties, a little bailing wire, a small tubing clamp, the requisite duct tape, etc..
                        >

                        > Ned Tibbits, Director
                        > Mountain Education
                        > www.mountaineducation.org

                      • brucelem12

                          Message 13 of 15 , Jun 21, 2013
                            You guys crack me up! It always seems that with our groups something usually breaks or needs repair, so we try to anticipate fixing whatever it might be. Equipment does fail from time to time and when it does, its like a shoelace breaking, never fun nor expected!

                            Ned Tibbits, Director
                            Mountain Education
                            www.mountaineducation.org

                            Message 14 of 15 , Jun 21, 2013
                              Ned, one can never have enough bailing wire and duct tape! :)

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ned Tibbits" <ned@...> wrote:

                              > You guys crack me up! It always seems that with our groups something usually breaks or needs repair, so we try to anticipate fixing whatever it might be. Equipment does fail from time to time and when it does, its like a shoelace breaking, never fun nor expected!
                              >

                              > Ned Tibbits, Director
                              > Mountain Education
                              > www.mountaineducation.org

                            • Byron Nevins
                              Message 15 of 15 , Jun 22, 2013
                                My buddy who lives in North Carolina organized a 3-day Appalachian Trail backpacking trip with 3 other friends.  All beginners.  He gave them each a copy of his gear list and admonished them in advance:  "If it isn't on this list -- DON'T BRING IT!  The list has been fine-tuned over decades".

                                So they are at the first night's camp and he hears an odd metal sound.  He wanders over to the tent of one of these guys, and the guy is pounding in his tent stakes with a full-sized carpenter's hammer.  "I thought you had forgotten to put it on the list" he explained.

                                That night one of the guys said "I brought a fifth of Scotch!"  Which actually *is* on the list as an optional item.  Then he pulls out the fifth of scotch.  In its original super-heavy glass bottle.