Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: need front carried water pack help

Expand Messages
  • ravi_jmt2013
    I ve read about some people using the zpacks multipack to carry water but I m not sure that a 2-3 liter platypus would fit:
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      I've read about some people using the zpacks multipack to carry water but I'm not sure that a 2-3 liter platypus would fit:

      http://zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

      The multipack is on my list of things to buy eventually.



      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ptoddf" <ptoddf@...> wrote:
      >
      > Been trying to come up with a front carried, (clipped onto pack harness chest height) water reservoir. Like to carry my 2 or 3 liter Platy in a flatter zip pouch using the hose/bite valve as usual. Somebody must be doing this but haven't found any details or such a product.
      >
      > I'm assuming that with air pressed out this rig won't slosh around too much. I think this might be a great option for a few ounce weight penalty for the carry bag. I want to see how shifting a few pounds to the front affects pack balance and comfort. Any leads/experiences with such a rig appreciated!
      >
    • Roleigh Martin
      Check out the recommendation in this folder http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/files/Gear/Category%20Gear%20Reviews/ Water Treatment on the
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        Check out the recommendation in this folder
        for the Camelbak Pakteen frontpack.

        -------------------------------------------------
        Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)
        _



        On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM, ptoddf <ptoddf@...> wrote:
         

        Been trying to come up with a front carried, (clipped onto pack harness chest height) water reservoir. Like to carry my 2 or 3 liter Platy in a flatter zip pouch using the hose/bite valve as usual. Somebody must be doing this but haven't found any details or such a product.

        I'm assuming that with air pressed out this rig won't slosh around too much. I think this might be a great option for a few ounce weight penalty for the carry bag. I want to see how shifting a few pounds to the front affects pack balance and comfort. Any leads/experiences with such a rig appreciated!


      • calbirder436
        I use an Aarn pack and absolutely love it...highly recommend it--totally redistributes the weight and is exceedingly comfortable. Cheryl In a message dated
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          I use an Aarn pack and absolutely love it...highly recommend it--totally redistributes the weight and is exceedingly comfortable.
           
          Cheryl
           
          In a message dated 6/18/2013 10:34:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, rnperky@... writes:
           

          Aarn Backpacks carry a wide range of options for front-carrying packs.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ptoddf" <ptoddf@...> wrote:
          >
          > Been trying to come up with a front carried, (clipped onto pack harness chest height) water reservoir. Like to carry my 2 or 3 liter Platy in a flatter zip pouch using the hose/bite valve as usual. Somebody must be doing this but haven't found any details or such a product.
          >
          > I'm assuming that with air pressed out this rig won't slosh around too much. I think this might be a great option for a few ounce weight penalty for the carry bag. I want to see how shifting a few pounds to the front affects pack balance and comfort. Any leads/experiences with such a rig appreciated!
          >

        • straw_marmot
          I have the zpacks multipack (and a zpacks Arc Blast pack). It fits 3 upright 20oz Gatorade bottles; or I just tried a flexible 70oz platypus - you can fill
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            I have the zpacks multipack (and a zpacks Arc Blast pack). It fits 3 upright 20oz Gatorade bottles; or I just tried a flexible 70oz platypus - you can fill it with about 60oz, fold the top over and it fits in horizontally, leaving about a horizontal soda can amount of room on top.

            Since it weighs very little, this goes with me on desert hikes to be used only on sectors when I really need to load up with 6L of water or more. In this situation, for the occasional heavily-loaded sector, putting some of the weight in this front position on the chest works pretty well. However, it's only a good solution when you're walking steadily and smoothly with good posture on well-made trails. Any kind of scrambling or maneuvering through vegetation, and I find that it bounces around on my chest and annoys me.

            It can also be clipped to lie flat on the top of the body of the back (i.e. just behind your neck). On my pack I've never used it this way, because the Arc Blast roll-top extends as high as I want to go behind my neck. On smaller UL packs, it could be a useful alternative to increase capacity.

            As with all the zpacks Cuben Fiber stuff, the big advantage is that the combination of the intrinsic properties of the material and the quality of workmanship means a fantastic strength to weight ratio.

            All the best
            Ralph
            (my first post here - I'm doing the JMT in early Sep, just joined the group)


            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@...> wrote:
            >
            > I've read about some people using the zpacks multipack to carry water but I'm not sure that a 2-3 liter platypus would fit:
            >
            > http://zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml
            >
            > The multipack is on my list of things to buy eventually.
            >
            >
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ptoddf" <ptoddf@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Been trying to come up with a front carried, (clipped onto pack harness chest height) water reservoir. Like to carry my 2 or 3 liter Platy in a flatter zip pouch using the hose/bite valve as usual. Somebody must be doing this but haven't found any details or such a product.
            > >
            > > I'm assuming that with air pressed out this rig won't slosh around too much. I think this might be a great option for a few ounce weight penalty for the carry bag. I want to see how shifting a few pounds to the front affects pack balance and comfort. Any leads/experiences with such a rig appreciated!
            > >
            >
          • Todd Foster
            Welcome Ralph, bearing excellent and useful info! Thanks, the ZPacks bag sounds just about exactly right and your user report was real helpful. (Another poster
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              Welcome Ralph, bearing excellent and useful info! 

              Thanks, the ZPacks bag sounds just about exactly right and your user report was real helpful. 
              (Another poster mentioned ZPacks more generally as possible too.) Yeh, I was thinking that Platy could be end folded to fit a bag if I could find one, and you confirm that  for ZPacks. Still room above it for lunch.

              One question please, is the Cuben fiber material quiet? I remember it being pretty rustlely used in tents and tarps. A little bit is OK, but don't like stuff like Tyvek which is not quiet at all. 

              And to others, thanks for your info. I never heard of Aarn Packs, they look interesting, but nothing I can use. The Pakteen looks OK for what it is, but too small volume for what I want.

              Great list! Almost instant answers. Is it that everyone is as stoked as I am about upcoming JMT trip?
              Gotta be!




            • John Ladd
              ... Ralph - You have set yourself as no-reply which means no one can communicate with you off-board (not even moderators). Sometimes people want to talk to
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM, straw_marmot <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > ...

                Ralph - You have set yourself as "no-reply" which means no one can communicate with you off-board (not even moderators). Sometimes people want to talk to you off-board, so you might want to change that., though if yuo want to remain beynd reach, that's certainly within your rights.

                In fact, I have an off-board question Could you e-mail me JohnLadd at gmail dot com so we don't need to involve everyone else in the question?

              • straw_marmot
                The zpacks packs (including the multipack) are made from a hybrid material, with a thin layer of polyester bonded to the Cuben Fiber. It does not make any
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                  The zpacks packs (including the multipack) are made from a hybrid material, with a thin layer of polyester bonded to the Cuben Fiber. It does not make any noise, and does not have that metallic rustling feel that the 100% Cuben Fiber fabric has.

                  Report from a year of use on my Arc Blast pack:

                  My pack weighs 19oz, and I travel fairly light, with a base weight of 12lb. But I've done some tough Grand Canyon routes this year, off-trail scrambling, with water bringing my load close to 40lb occasionally, beyond what it's really designed for.

                  Structurally, I was worried when I first got the pack because the shoulder straps are just sewn onto the fabric (reinforced with a double layer of the same fabric). I was very cautious at first, but sooner or later when tired I ended up swinging the whole weight of an overloaded pack off one strap... and no hint of any problems. This material has remarkable tensile strength, and maintains integrity when stitched through.

                  It has also been the most comfortable pack that I've owned at any weight. The frame looks minimal, but the design really works - gives you that great feeling of the the load floating on your hips rather than pulling down your shoulders.

                  The shortcoming with the material is poor abrasion resistance. I've repaired several minor frays with Tenacious Tape - I have months-old patches with no peeling. Duct tape also sticks well, apparently. Joe at zpacks is helpful with custom modifications. I'd recommend a large reinforcement patch (i.e. a bonded double layer of material) to cover the interior base of the pack at manufacture, as that's the area most susceptible to abrasion.

                  Ralph


                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Todd Foster <ptoddf@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Welcome Ralph, bearing excellent and useful info!
                  >
                  >
                  > Thanks, the ZPacks bag sounds just about exactly right and your user report was real helpful.
                  > (Another poster mentioned ZPacks more generally as possible too.) Yeh, I was thinking that Platy could be end folded to fit a bag if I could find one, and you confirm that for ZPacks. Still room above it for lunch.
                  >
                  >
                  > One question please, is the Cuben fiber material quiet? I remember it being pretty rustlely used in tents and tarps. A little bit is OK, but don't like stuff like Tyvek which is not quiet at all.
                  >
                  >
                  > And to others, thanks for your info. I never heard of Aarn Packs, they look interesting, but nothing I can use. The Pakteen looks OK for what it is, but too small volume for what I want.
                  >
                  >
                  > Great list! Almost instant answers. Is it that everyone is as stoked as I am about upcoming JMT trip?
                  > Gotta be!
                  >
                • straw_marmot
                  I ve never used Yahoo before, and I just opted to disable everything until I figure out how the privacy setting work... I will probably change this - it does
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I've never used Yahoo before, and I just opted to disable everything until I figure out how the privacy setting work... I will probably change this - it does not make my email address actually display anywhere, right?

                    I've emailed you direct, anyway.


                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM, straw_marmot <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>wrote:
                    > > ...
                    >
                    > Ralph - You have set yourself as "no-reply" which means no one can
                    > communicate with you off-board (not even moderators). Sometimes people want
                    > to talk to you off-board, so you might want to change that., though if yuo
                    > want to remain beynd reach, that's certainly within your rights.
                    >
                    > In fact, I have an off-board question Could you e-mail me JohnLadd at gmail
                    > dot com so we don't need to involve everyone else in the question?
                    >
                  • John Ladd
                    ... they will be able to see who they are replying to. Obviously a problem for people with privacy concerns. A workaround -- You could set up an e-mail address
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 20, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM, straw_marmot <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                       

                      I've never used Yahoo before, and I just opted to disable everything until I figure out how the privacy setting work... I will probably change this - it does not make my email address actually display anywhere, right?

                      Your e-mail address will display and if people use "Reply to sender" they will be able to see who they are replying to. Obviously a problem for people with privacy concerns.

                      A workaround -- You could set up an e-mail address solely for groups and have it forward any mail to your main address. For instance, you could be straw_marmot at gmail dot com and set Gmail to forward everything sent to that address to the address you'd rather keep private.

                      The setting is at


                      under E-mail address see "add new email address"

                      John Curran Ladd
                      1616 Castro Street
                      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
                      415-648-9279

                       
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.