Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Pack weight question.

    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 18, 2013
      On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Chris <cehauser1@...> wrote:
      ,,, I am trying to avoid something that I always find myself doing: I show up at camp or at a good water source, and find my water container is 3/4 full. I pour out most of a bottle of warm stale water, then re-fill with cool fresh water. I carried that 2 pounds for no reason.

      I think it's always best to learn from your own experience. Advice of others goes only so far.

      My personal sweet/comfort spot is to try to arrive at a water source with about 8 ounces left. Can't always do it, of course. I'm a bit more aggressive in paring carried water weight when I have a lot of food in the pack, a little more willing to carry "too much" in the last days before a resupply.

      I guess my point was more that I don't want to carry extra water in my stomach, either. After a while your body tells you how much you need -- if you work outside a lot you know better than most -- and you can regulate what you drink so you neither over- or under-hydrate. Pee color and odor the best indicator, probably. Maybe even better than thirst.

    • b2d099203e309ec68e85b9e81b55a7df
      Message 59 of 59 , Aug 30, 2016
        Should also specify that the Injinji socks I use are the heaviest weight ones they make.