Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Pack weight question.

    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 18, 2013
      On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Chris <cehauser1@...> wrote:
      ,,, I am trying to avoid something that I always find myself doing: I show up at camp or at a good water source, and find my water container is 3/4 full. I pour out most of a bottle of warm stale water, then re-fill with cool fresh water. I carried that 2 pounds for no reason.

      I think it's always best to learn from your own experience. Advice of others goes only so far.

      My personal sweet/comfort spot is to try to arrive at a water source with about 8 ounces left. Can't always do it, of course. I'm a bit more aggressive in paring carried water weight when I have a lot of food in the pack, a little more willing to carry "too much" in the last days before a resupply.

      I guess my point was more that I don't want to carry extra water in my stomach, either. After a while your body tells you how much you need -- if you work outside a lot you know better than most -- and you can regulate what you drink so you neither over- or under-hydrate. Pee color and odor the best indicator, probably. Maybe even better than thirst.

    • krishna9012
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 8, 2013
        Guru:
        Congrats! Can you give more details like food supply, how are the stream crossings, dry areas where you may have to carry more in your hydration pack etc. Also if you can give a link to your photos that would be very helpful.
        Thanks!
        Krishna