RE: [John Muir Trail] JMT (Part 1) trip report and photos, July 2008

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 11, 2008
      Oh dear, bad mozzies then huh - but I guess it varies year to year.

      _____

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
        Yeah, we were kind of asking for it. Unfortunately, other factors
        forced us to start when we did. On the upside, the flowers were
        fantastic, and the bugs became less of a nuisance as the trip
        progressed.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...>
        wrote:

        > No wonder you were attacked by mosquitos!

      • Bill Plesha
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
          Andy,

          I too am planning to do the JMT next August (you definitely convinced me that I don't want to be out there in July:)

          It will be my first trip and I am REALLY looking forward to it. At 62 I figure this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

          Your part 1 report was very interesting and I'm looking forward to the subsequent parts!

          I'd be very interested in talking with you about the permitting process you went through and who you had to contact (I've picked up a lot of information from emails on this website, but it's always nice to speak with someone who has gone through it already).

          If you would be willing to give me a call it would be appreciated.

          You can email me at my email address - backpackerman@....

          By the way, I'm located in Arizona.

          Thanks,

          Bill Plesha

          wrote:

          > No wonder you were attacked by mosquitos!

        • akunkle99
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
            Thanks Bill, I just sent you an email.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Plesha"
            <backpackerman@...> wrote:

            > Andy,
            >
            > I too am planning to do the JMT next August (you definitely
            convinced me that I don't want to be out there in July:)

            > It will be my first trip and I am REALLY looking forward to it. At
            62 I figure this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

            > Your part 1 report was very interesting and I'm looking forward to
            the subsequent parts!

            > I'd be very interested in talking with you about the permitting
            process you went through and who you had to contact (I've picked up a
            lot of information from emails on this website, but it's always nice
            to speak with someone who has gone through it already).

            > If you would be willing to give me a call it would be appreciated.
            >
            > You can email me at my email address - backpackerman@...
            >
            > By the way, I'm located in Arizona.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Bill Plesha

          • The Cisco Kid
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
              doing JMT from Twolumne Meadow to red meadow in Aug 2009....about 36 miles??

              RichardC"I'm in the Mountains, not over the Hill".

              You can email me at my email address - backpackerman@ cox.net.

              wrote:

              > No wonder you were attacked by mosquitos!

              > --- On Thu, 12/11/08, akunkle99 <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote:

              > > From: akunkle99 <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com>

              > > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT (Part 1) trip report and

              photos, July 2008

              > > To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

              > > Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 6:31 PM

              > > Thanks Barbara. We started on July 4th.

              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Barbara

              > > Karagosian"

              > > <barbara@> wrote:

              > > > Thanks so much Andy. What month were you hiking - you

              > > no doubt

              > > said but I

              > > > missed it - thanks, Barbara

              > > > _____

              > > > From: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

            • Robert W. Freed
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                Probable the easiest part of the JMT. Spend the night at the walk in hiker camp at Tuolumne Meadows. Next morning several miles of gentle hiking along the Lylle Fork of the Tuolumne River. Then a mild stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass. It's all down hill from there. But the mosquitoes can be brutal all the way to Thousand Islands Lake. And the bears at Red's Meadow... well... nightly raids are common. Then catch the bus into Mammoth. Then another back to your car at Tuolumne. Ahhh... brings back memories.

                Robert

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                  this will be my first sectional hike ever....looking forward  for a great experience...will also are going to do...Red Meadow to Mt Whiteny portal.....later in the month...thanks for the info.....

                  From: The Cisco Kid <dandyric@yahoo. com>

                  To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                  Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 5:13 PM

                  . _,_._,___

                  doing JMT from Twolumne Meadow to red meadow in Aug 2009....about 36 miles??

                • John Karpinski
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                    Then a mild stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass.

                    I agree that overall, the TM to Reds section is mellow compared to the "pass-a-day"
                    sections south of VVR. But Donohue Pass is a 2000' ascent. If your legs and lungs are not
                    in shape after coming out of the Valley, they will be when you reach the top of Donohue.
                    Your reward is the stellar views looking down the Lyell Canyon.

                    Enjoy,
                    John Karpinski, JMT, class of 2008

                  • thomas taylor
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                      Anyone considering a winter ascent of the JMT?

                      Thomas

                    • zmortalcityz
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                        I completely agree with that sentiment John. I went over Donahue
                        twice this summer. The first time I was actually pretty violently
                        ill, puking from just over the serious stream crossing to the top.
                        Over and over. While maybe not entirely because the altitude, i'm
                        sure it was a significant factor. We left the Valley late on day 1.
                        By the end of day 2 we were asleep at Tuolumne, and by the end of day
                        3 were over Donahue. Like you said, the second half of the trip was a
                        pass (or two) a day. Lyell canyon is the easiest bit of the entire
                        200+ miles and Donahue is one of the mellowest passes. Donahue is
                        right at the start, before you've become fully acclimated (if you ever
                        do, depending on how fast you do the trail) which made it pretty
                        difficult for me the first time.

                        I actually slept right on the side of Forester well above timberline
                        behind a little rock wall just big enough to sleep in. What are those
                        called? It was bitter cold. I had just woken up and hadn't even
                        prepared breakfast and I saw 2 women hike by on the trail. I saw them
                        at the top of the pass maybe 3 hours later. It was a beautiful day
                        with great weather (which was a first) and I just charged right up
                        Forester. It was so ridiculously easy to the point that I really
                        found it hilarious. Usually i'll do lunch on the passes or something.
                        I even took a nap all afternoon in a little grassy patch on the
                        barren north side of muir pass, wow was that nice or what. It really
                        goes to show you how much the acclimatization does for you. The
                        couple thousand foot descent up Whitney was actually kind of
                        disappointing. I mean the switchbacks were boring enough but the
                        challenge just wasn't there.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John Karpinski" <jckarpin@...>

                      • jmaddog1082@charter.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                          This was the exact section trip I had planned for last August, but failed not only to succesfully reserve a permit in advance, but was also unsuccessful in getting a "day of" entry by going to the TM station. In addition to the ridiculously low trail quota for TM departure, it appeared that applying for the permit a few months in advance was just too slow.

                          We had a back-up plan and ended up doing the Agnew Meadow Loop through Clark, 1000 Is., Garnett, and Shadow Lakes, but I'm sure the TM to RM section would have been a better overall experieince.

                          Any suggestions for future attempts from JMT vets who manage to successfully secure permits? I've even considered the reverse direction from RM to TM, but it's not ideal.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                            Both times we have gotten walk in permits in the Valley. The first
                            time the soonest permit we could get was two days later. The next
                            time I was first in line in the Valley. I couldn't get a permit to
                            leave until the dext day but it turned out there was a spot to leave
                            out of Tuolumne. So I ended up leaving out of Tuolumne the same
                            morning! Just arrive really really early to the permit office and you
                            should have no problems getting a permit for the next day or day
                            after. Everytime we've hiked out of the valley in general, we've
                            arrived really late the night before (well, early morning) and then
                            just waited outside the permit office. Other people might start
                            showing up around 6am if I recall correctly. I really like the
                            Vogelsang area out of Tuolumne, you can make a huge loop from the
                            Valley thru Vogelsand and Lyell Canyon. Worth looking into. Theres
                            so many places I want to check out in more detail that I passed up on
                            the JMT. I remember one lady made kindof a smart ass comment that
                            still sticks in my head. I was doing some pretty big days at the end
                            (relatively speaking), was going to be finishing in 5-6 days from that
                            point and I think she was taking like 2+ weeks for the Whitney half.
                            Something about slow down so I can enjoy the scenery. Well I am
                            enjoying it! And now I know the gems to come back for! Who says you
                            can't enjoy the challenge of it, its not like you miss out if you
                            aren't doing 5 mile days.

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

                            > This was the exact section trip I had planned for last August, but
                            failed not only to succesfully reserve a permit in advance, but was
                            also unsuccessful in getting a "day of" entry by going to the TM
                            station. In addition to the ridiculously low trail quota for TM
                            departure, it appeared that applying for the permit a few months in
                            advance was just too slow.

                            > We had a back-up plan and ended up doing the Agnew Meadow Loop
                            through Clark, 1000 Is., Garnett, and Shadow Lakes, but I'm sure the
                            TM to RM section would have been a better overall experieince.

                            > Any suggestions for future attempts from JMT vets who manage to
                            successfully secure permits? I've even considered the reverse
                            direction from RM to TM, but it's not ideal.

                            > ---- "Robert W. Freed" <robert@...> wrote:
                            > > Probable the easiest part of the JMT. Spend the night at the walk
                            in hiker camp at Tuolumne Meadows. Next morning several miles of
                            gentle hiking along the Lylle Fork of the Tuolumne River. Then a mild
                            stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass. It's all down hill from there. But
                            the mosquitoes can be brutal all the way to Thousand Islands Lake. And
                            the bears at Red's Meadow... well... nightly raids are common. Then
                            catch the bus into Mammoth. Then another back to your car at Tuolumne.
                            Ahhh... brings back memories.

                            > > Robert

                          • robert shattuck
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                              Am I just lucky? I've done the JMT a number of times now, since 1996 and NEVER ever, have I applied months in advance or waited in the dark chill of the morning for the office to open (only to be told I'd have to wait until the next day) I've always arrived in the valley via AMTRAK at about 1:30 p.m., walked into the office and got a permit, usually to leave the next day. The one time I did get a permit to leave that very day, I got a ride in and got the permit at the park entrance��by the time I got to the valley floor, I went in and got it changed to leave the next day.It's a good idea to abide by the permit��but if you get there and they say, YOU MUST LEAVE today, and you don't want to��don't. just go about your business and get a spot in the backpackers campground (or wherever ) then leave bright and early next morning. You can always say, if asked, that you got sick, you had to wait for a third party��or you twisted an ankle . . . There are always rangers lurking about at the falls or most certainly at little yosemite. if you show up a day late on your permit, well, you can get away with that, but if you show up a day EARLY, that's a no-no. it's easy to say you got detained by whatever excuse you can forge, but to get out on the trail a day early��that's asking for little miss nazi-rangerette at Little Yosemite to ticket you and give you a long spiel, all ther while, her hand lingers, ready to draw on you with her park issued 9mm . . . . damn you for coming in early!!!sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comCC: robert@...: jmaddog1082@...: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:03:07 -0800Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Twolumne Meadow to red meadow

                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                                it's not really an "ascent" but I've always wanted to do it, either AT, or snowshoes. let's make a spring plan!sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comFrom: tgtaylor7@...: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:22:27 -0800Subject: [John Muir Trail] Winter Ascent of the JMT

                                Anyone considering a winter ascent of the JMT?

                                Thomas

                              • Kevin Aston
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 20, 2008
                                  I don't do it on line I call the office and then you can see what your options are. I never missed getting my target date though, but I get my permits 4 months in advance.
                                  Kevin Aston

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 20, 2008
                                    Yeah, there were a few. Fortunately, Sunrise was the worst place on
                                    the whole trip. Bug conditions gradually improved after that (and we
                                    started putting significant effort into finding campsites that were
                                    less buggy).