[John Muir Trail] Re: To Joe MacLeish about the HSR

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
      What does this have to do with meeting up to do the SHR?

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "woodyrtt" <rod.tayler@...> wrote:

      > Here is an excellent article by Zinsser on simplicity in writing:
      >
      > http://cgiss.boisestate.edu/~billc/Writing/zinsser.html
      >
      > Rod
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Wilderness" <wildvagabond@> wrote:
      > >
      > > JD, John, Joe, thanks for the replies. And, thanks for the support in writing well.
      > > I actually had a (younger) person tell me how the language was "improved" with all the strange acronyms and tags used during texting. I relayed this to my lovely (Masters in English/ESL (English as a Second Language) teaching) wife, who said "expletive! these cretins are ruining the language and diminishing the quality of thought and writing," or something like this.
      > > See William Zinsser, "On Writing Well"
      > >
      > > Rob of the WV (WildernessVagabond.com)
      > > http://wildernessvagabond.com/
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Rob:
      > > >
      > > > The SHR is the Sierra High Route. The HST is the High Sierra Trail in the
      > > > Sequoia area. You are of course right about predefining acronyms. The last
      > > > email posted here was from a guy who knew the acronym specifically and sent
      > > > to me specifically so I got a bit sloppy (even though I was also a bit
      > > > verbose). By the by the reference to the HSR should have been to the HST
      > > > which is why I spent the extra words on it.
      > > >
      > > > You want arcane go back through the posts here and look at the comments on
      > > > cooking Kraft macaroni and cheese in a JetBoil .
      > > >
      > > > Joe

    • Joseph Lynn
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
        Rob,

        I'm a newbie as well and I share your desire to know what all these acronyms mean but I must say that I died laughing when I read:

        On Jun 17, 2013, at 18:45, "woodyrtt" <rod.tayler@...> wrote:

        > > I finally learned that a SOBO is not a son of a bitch (who likes to be)
        > > > outside.
      • Dittli-Goethals
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
          On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

          What does this have to do with meeting up to do the SHR?

          If you need some reading material when you're out there...

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
            I think your on to something good here John! We could print out all of the 'thread hijacks' like this on TP and they could be used for double duty! : )