Erik the Black vs. Tom Harrison maps

  • aerdahl75
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
      I was able to get a preview of the Erik the Black JMT map & can see that you can see where non-JMT trails meet up w/the JMT but you can't see much off the JMT. I was wondering if the Tom Harrison maps provide any more/additional detail of non-JMT trails (compared to Erik the Black). And in general, which map do you prefer & why? And lastly, are there any good general over view maps that will let you see non-JMT trails?
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
        Tom Harrison has more detail on exit route trails, but often not all the way to their trailheads.

        The ETB maps are in a more convenient format. But the printing on the TH maps is considerably better.  I prefer to use the TH mpas supplemented with a print out of the Wenk/Wilderness Press datapoints for mileage and elevations at each junction, pass, crossing, etc - available in various formats in this folder

        The Postholer mapset is the most highly detailed and free if you can print your own (and available for a price if not)

        Various map links at

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
          John, thanks for the info!

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
            One more comment, the JMT CribSheet we continually keep updated in our file library is far more informative than the meager crib sheet information in the ETB book.  I like Eric's book though and use it on my hike but I like it when someone else in the group has the TH map set.

            John, thanks for letting us know that the postholer maps are available in professional paper/print form.  I'll check that out.
            _

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
              John, it looks like you can only order Postholer PCT maps in either of 3 sets (OR/WA; SO CAL; NO CAL).  Are the JMT map pages all in the SO CAL or NO CAL set (or does one have to splice them together?
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
                I answered my own question, it's the SO CAL book, it goes up to Tuolumne Meadows.
                _

                On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
                John, it looks like you can only order Postholer PCT maps in either of 3 sets (OR/WA; SO CAL; NO CAL).  Are the JMT map pages all in the SO CAL or NO CAL set (or does one have to splice them together?

              • Dan C. aka Thumper
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
                  Roleigh, Postholer's JMT maps and data book are a free download from his site. No need to purchase the PCT book if you want JMT, just download and print.
                  Thumper

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
                    Thumper, is there a way one can use his download and print them on professional waterproof map paper but not on my printer?
                    _

                    On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Dan C. aka Thumper <dofdear@...> wrote:
                    Roleigh, Postholer's JMT maps and data book are a free download from his site.  No need to purchase the PCT book if you want JMT, just download and print.
                    Thumper

                    ---- Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
                    > I answered my own question, it's the SO CAL book, it goes up to Tuolumne
                    > Meadows.
                    > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                    > _
                    >

                    > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > John, it looks like you can only order Postholer PCT maps in either of 3
                    > > sets (OR/WA; SO CAL; NO CAL).  Are the JMT map pages all in the SO CAL or
                    > > NO CAL set (or does one have to splice them together?

                    > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>

                  • dofdear aka Thumper
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013

                      Roleigh,

                      It’s an Adobe file.  If you do not have the local capability then put the files on a stick and take to a local Kinko’s or other printer.  I have an 8 year old ink-jet printer that does just fine.  You may need to just change the paper and quality settings.

                      Thumper

                      href="mailto:roleigh@...">roleigh@...> wrote:

                      > > John, it looks like you can only order Postholer PCT maps in either
                      of 3
                      > > sets (OR/WA; SO CAL; NO
                      CAL ).  Are the JMT map pages all in the SO CAL or
                      > > NO
                      w:st="on">CAL set (or does one have to splice them together?