Alternate starting point

  • apatinotx
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
      Howdy yall! hope everyone is having a great summer.

      I was curious, is is possible to start on a trail north of the JMT, maybe on the PCT? I am heading out in July once classes are done and plan on getting a walk-up permit but I wondered if there was any section maybe from the PCT fed into Happy Isles? Ive heard of folks talking about starting at TM but id rather attempt several days and start at HI.

      Thanks again!
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
          Virginia Lakes Trailhead out of Bridgeport. Almost the exact same mileage as the JMT from Happy Isles and way less crowded!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "apatinotx" <alexpatino@...> wrote:

          > Howdy yall! hope everyone is having a great summer.
          >
          > I was curious, is is possible to start on a trail north of the JMT, maybe on the PCT? I am heading out in July once classes are done and plan on getting a walk-up permit but I wondered if there was any section maybe from the PCT fed into Happy Isles? Ive heard of folks talking about starting at TM but id rather attempt several days and start at HI.
          >
          > Thanks again!

        • John
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
            The PCT joins the JMT in Tuolumne but depending on how many days you wish to spend hiking before getting on the JMT, the options are almost endless.

            You actually can start at Tuolumne and loop north or south (off the JMT) and end up at HI or LYV in a few days.

            Many nice ways to add a few days.

            JD

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
              Could start at Sonora Pass on the PCT. Would add about 50 miles, though.

              On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM, apatinotx <alexpatino@...> wrote:

              Howdy yall! hope everyone is having a great summer.

              I was curious, is is possible to start on a trail north of the JMT, maybe on the PCT? I am heading out in July once classes are done and plan on getting a walk-up permit but I wondered if there was any section maybe from the PCT fed into Happy Isles? Ive heard of folks talking about starting at TM but id rather attempt several days and start at HI.

              Thanks again!

            • Henry Egghart
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
                The Tahoe to Yosemite Trail comes in from the North--its more than a few days, though!

                Henry
              • Chris
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 17, 2013
                  Alex:

                  If you want to add several days to a HI start on the JMT, you will probably want to start somewhere in Yosemite. Despite the tight quotas at the popular trails, my hunch is that there are a lot of trailheads that are lower usage. If you haven't already seen it, check out this map:

                  http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/trailheadmap.pdf

                  By the way, I wasn't able to get a permit for a HI start on the JMT, so I'll be starting from the Mirror Lake / Snow Creek trailhead, then meeting up with the JMT either at Sunrise or at TM. Not the end of the world.

                  Chris.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "apatinotx" <alexpatino@...> wrote:

                  > Howdy yall! hope everyone is having a great summer.
                  >
                  > I was curious, is is possible to start on a trail north of the JMT, maybe on the PCT? I am heading out in July once classes are done and plan on getting a walk-up permit but I wondered if there was any section maybe from the PCT fed into Happy Isles? Ive heard of folks talking about starting at TM but id rather attempt several days and start at HI.
                  >
                  > Thanks again!

                • hegghart
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 18, 2013
                    There is the tahoe to yosemite trail

                    Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S™4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
                  • casey
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 18, 2013
                      Think it's closer to 85 miles from Sonora Pass to Toulumne Mdws.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 18, 2013
                        TM is PCT northbound mile 945 and Sonora Pass is 1021 --  so starting from Sonora Pass would add 76 miles of PCT and bypass 22 from JMT. So net difference is 54.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 18, 2013
                          I stand corrected.